Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:31 AM

Kenny , I'm not sure how you take the tires off ? Could you take some pictures of how your using it ? Al

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 04:53 PM

Regular old hand tire tools. This just keeps the wheel from scooting all over the world while you get the tire off and on. And I would have a challenge taking pics of myself doing this, hard to hold the camera and tire tools at the same time.

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 06:19 PM

Sorry I missed this thread Kenny,nice. I guess I missed a lot whilst I was computerless.

#20 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 08:41 PM

I bought a HF Mini Tire Changer looks a little like what you made. It works OK but still need to come up with a better way of breaking the bead , it has a handle the you kind of pry down from the center threaded rod . How do you break yours ?

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 03:54 AM

I use a larger HF tire machine for breaking the bead. I'll try to add more pics this weekend, just too hot when I get home from work. I was having a hard time breaking beads on these small tires until I put a piece of 2X4 under the opposite side to hold the wheel flatter. Seems to have helped.

#22 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:08 AM

Kenny that looks like a useful tool! Breaking the beads is always the hardest part...the smaller the harder the break too! I've looked at the HF machines too, but somehow I don't think they'd last in my shop. I have a tendency to be a little rough...especially when trying to break a bead. When they give me trouble, I break out the 3 Lb. sledge and an old dulled chisel. I have been trying to figure out a way to make it easier. I may borrow and adapt your idea :smile1:

#23 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:15 AM

I was thinking on trying something that I saw a go-kart guy use , had a threaded rod with a flat plate on one side and a steel ring just big enough to around the outside for the rim and tightened a nut to break it . Maybe a GT tire would be harder so thought a chanel iron across with mabe an tab on each side to press down on the tire . I'm sure someone has a good tool/idea out there , Al

#24 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:54 AM

I'll get you guys some pics all through how I do them. I do have a squirt bottle of soapy water that I use when breaking down the tires. I just push down some and put the soapy water on either side of where the bead is starting to come down. Bad ones to break is when some one has used slime. Almost have to cut them off. I refuse to use that stuff. Makes a very bad mess of the wheel inside.

#25 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 08:22 AM

nice tool there I have a wedge hammer for breaking beads works well just watch your shins

#26 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 09:44 PM

Kenny, I sorry I missed this thread somehow, Great job on the tire changing tool. I been wanting to build one like this for awhile, I'm going to borrow some of your design. Thanks for sharing and again, great job..:thumbs:

#27 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 04:04 AM

Brian, borrow any part you want. I am going to try to get some pics today front break down to removal. If I get energetic, I might do an install. Definitely keeps the wheels from scooting all around when removing the tire. If you have anything with 1" spindles, you will need something with at least 2 1/2" id to go over the hub. Thinking of using a piece of old inner tube to protect the painted wheels.

#28 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 02:55 PM

As promised, I have pics of removing an 8" tire from the wheel. I took lots, so may need multiple posts to finish this.
The first two are of the HF tire changer I use to break the beads on these and larger tires.
Image021.jpg

I use the 2X4 block to get a better angle for breaking the bead. Next two show the bead broken, had to get out 'Big Bertha'(my cheater bar) to get-ur-dun. That tire had been on there a while.
Image024 (Small).jpg
You will notice where the 2X4 block is. This gives the best angle for breaking these down. Took several times of moving the tire around to get it loose from the wheel. The next group show the tools needed to remove the tire from the wheel and a view of the bottom side of the tool with wheel in place.
Image032 (Small).jpg

Now the tire is off the wheel. It would be great if I had something to hold the stand down, but since I work out in the yard no anchors are available.
Next, I needed a way to protect newly painted wheels when installing a tire. I got a piece of old inner tube and cut out a chunk. Next, I found something to give me a hole a little smaller than the hub and marked out the part to be removed. I got out my 'small' scissors and made the hole for the hub. This fits snugly so the pipe section at the bottom doesn't mar the new paint(hopefully).
Image039 (Small).jpg

I will not be installing the tires as yet so there are no pics of this. This tire had a tube in it. Notice what size it is. Keep in mind this is a 16X6.5X8 tire.
Image036 (Small).jpg

Yeah, that's a 4.80X8 tube. But it holds air.
After tire removal, I looked at this wheel and wished I had an electrolysis tank to remove the rust. I put the wheel back on the stand and used various tools to remove all the rust and old paint I could. Worked great! By leaving the wheel a little loose,I could turn it as I got the crud off. The last pics show the cleaned wheel next to one that is in similar condition to what I found when the tire was removed.
Image041 (Small).jpg

Hey, I got it all in one post. This concludes the session. Questions & comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image020.jpg
  • Image025 (Small).jpg
  • Image027 (Small).jpg
  • Image031 (Small).jpg
  • Image028 (Small).jpg
  • Image030 (Small).jpg
  • Image029 (Small).jpg
  • Image038 (Small).jpg
  • Image037 (Small).jpg
  • Image040 (Small).jpg

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#29 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for the pictures ,after seeing what you made compared to the HF Mini Changer I bought , I wish made one like you did , oh well . The tool used to break the bead looks handy does it do a good job ? Al

#30 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 04:18 PM

It can be a challenge on tires that have been on for some time. Especially if they had slime in them. Other wise, I would say it does an effective job. 'Big Bertha' is a great cheater for helping get the job done. Last time I used it, I pulled one of the hold down nuts thru the metal at the base, so I didn't push it too hard this time. Works quite well on 12" wheels.