• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,921 Thanks
  • 3,540 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 06:47 PM

Yeah it seems like I have seen different tins for oil filter equipped versions. I think that I'll just modify these when the time comes.
  • KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#17 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,529 Thanks
  • 47,427 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 07:22 PM

I can get some measurements off mine when you need it!

• dodge trucker and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#18 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,921 Thanks
  • 3,540 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 01:33 PM

Well, got some gaskets coming along with a breather and an oil filter adapter via feebay. So we'll see how that goes.
  • KennyP said thank you

#19 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,921 Thanks
  • 3,540 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 05:16 PM

well, crap.  I got a new breather for this engine, and a gasket set.... bought both from FeeBay from different sellers. 

The gasket set looks aftermarket, came from Tulsa Engine Warehouse (TEW) did not know that by the screen name until after the buy had been made and I got the shipping confirmation.  

Got a brand new OEM/NOS Kohler breather from a different seller. 

Problem is,  there is a rubber check valve that is supposed to be in the breather that didn't come with, but every pic that I see of this breather shows it w/o this orange rubber check valve, with a wide open hole where this is supposed to go, it will most certainly suck oil.  From what I have found it is Kohler PN 52 462 01  or 52 462 01s.  I cannot find this anywhere, it is claimed to be discontinued. I put that number in on Google and get an hourmeter and other parts that are close in PN but nowhere close to what I need.... 

It LOOKS like the check valve used behind the accelerator pump diafragm on an old Ford 2 bbl carburetor. can't say whether that part is the same or not. That part didn't come in the gasket set either. any ideas where to find or an easier to find, substitute? 

In the OEM Kohler parts diagram it looks like key #8.

I can find rings, pistons, valves, (most) gaskets, reproduction carbs, and more for these Magnum twins. but this small part. 

I want to fire it up, get it warmed up and check things out..... but without that piece, everything else could be perfect but it will suck oil without this check valve. 

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#20 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,921 Thanks
  • 3,540 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 08:06 PM

ok may be in the middle of a brain fart.... I had to replace the breather for the same (oil-thirsty) reason on my KT19 a while back, and I remember that 1... the PN of the breather had superseded, and I was told that the same one for the newer Mag twins would work/was the same as what goes onto the KT.   and 2.. (its been a while since I did the KT, and I don't yet have the breather off of this Mag) 

That may have been the difference, EITHER that rubber umbrella seal OR the reed that blocks the breather hole.... somehow I was thinking for some unknown reason, that the KT had had both the reed valve and the rubber seal.  I could be wrong about that..... 

so in asking about that seal, I may be looking for something I really don't need......  it has been a few years since I replaced the one on the KT.... and that tractor has largely sat, until I finally got a snow blower for it.....   

on another note... 

I have a basketcase K321 that I am going to finish disassembly on, so that it can hit the machine shop and I can finish it before I dismantle anything else... while I (hopefully) still have all the parts for the 321, before the cylinder rusts up any worse than it has already,  and so I don't mix up the pieces from it with anything else....  I am getting a pretty good pile of Kohler engines all of a sudden, 2 run, 1 just needs the carb reassembled and installed then it'll run again, (might have a machine in mind for that engine) 

that K321 is the original engine from my NH S14,, on which I have a Kohler M12 on at the moment.... working just fine mind you, carries the load of the 48" deck that is on it better than you'd think, and they even made that same exact tractor as a 12hp model,  but for some reason it drives me nuts knowing that I have a smaller engine in "that" tractor than it originally had.....  I don't care about it being the "exact" original engine that was in that machine as much as I do that I downgraded it with the lesser HP engine.....  This 321 was part way in pieces when I got the tractor, so some things take a while to change I guess..... now it's all the way in pieces. I want to get that engine reassembled the PO said it too used oil..... but being as how it wasn't "whole," I couldn't run it as was and evaluate things on it for myself. 

this is the plan for now,  as long as 

1. the KT on the tractor that this engine is destined for holds together

2. nothing else blows up in the meantime (this pile of engines I have accumulated, every one has a place, as a spare for one of my machines)  even though I don't have enough yard space, really, for any of them let alone all of them..... I can get by with a walk behind snow blower and a push mower or 2, but I have too many of them too ha ha..... 

• KennyP said thank you