• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,904 Thanks
  • 3,525 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 01:55 PM

I have a chance to get a hold of what is supposed to be an 18hp horizontal shaft magnum. From the pic it is definitely an opposed twin. I have seen the series 1 vs series 2 threads on the KT series.
I asked the seller if it had an oil filter as the pics online showed 1 head side shot and the shroud side. He says it doesn't have a filter. I thought that once they went to the magnums that they all had oil filters on them? Seller says it is a 1985 engine and it sounds like he's the original owner. Runs good but uses oil, for the price it's still worth it even for parts.
  • Sawdust and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,454 Thanks
  • 47,383 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 02:03 PM

All magnums have oil filters I Believe! I know the 18 HP I have does!

• boyscout862, dodge trucker and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#3 rlnguy OFFLINE  

rlnguy
  • Member No: 86678
  • 36 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 03:44 PM

The 18 Magnum, original in my Simplicity Sunstar, did not have a filter.

• KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#4 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,174 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 04:01 PM

Some series 2 had no filters. Depending on application. Need to get the #s off the tins
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,904 Thanks
  • 3,525 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 04:39 PM

My KT 19 on my Ariens has no filter and by the numbers is supposed to be a series 2. I don't remember seeing the filter block off on it that the series 2s are supposed to have when I had the tins off of it...
I don't have the pic of this supposed magnum 18 in front of me but when I did, it is definitely a Kohler opposed twin. That's what I know about it so far.
The seller said that it used oil, so he repowered with a honduh....I think he's an idiot for that move. But that's a whole nother story. My KT 19 used oil when I got it too, but since I replaced the breather element it no longer does. That engine also leaked behind the flywheel until I replaced the seal. It seems like when a horizontal shaft version of an opposed twin Kohler comes around it, entry level price is$400 or more. So for less than 1/4 of that, this is a complete, running engine with a relatively new starter. Im not looking for this one to go into immediate service but as a spare/backup for the KT 19.
(I hope) it's "gettin while the gettin is good"

Edited by dodge trucker, February 16, 2018 - 04:41 PM.

• KennyP, Trav1s, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 2,905 Thanks
  • 1,616 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 05:09 PM

At that price it sounds like a good buy!  

• Trav1s and dodge trucker have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,454 Thanks
  • 47,383 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 05:35 PM

Guess I did well on mine. Cost me $20. Wasn't running and no starter.

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,848 Thanks
  • 8,035 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 07:25 PM

I put one in my Duetz from a Cub.  Had a remote filter, lines going to block that unbolted and I put diff adapt there for the filter direct to the block. Sticks out just under one of the cylinders to side. There is also a blocker that has a passageway to allow oil to flow thru that area if no filters are mounted. Have to have something or engine won't oil all it's areas. Magnum's physically same as KT's,but parts don't interchange, and they are magneto, not battery ignition on them also. I believe the mount hole spacing and other dimensions are all pretty much same.

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,904 Thanks
  • 3,525 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 07:50 PM

well, I got this engine. It is a Magnum 18, according to the numbers 1500-and some hours, but my KT has almost 300 more if the hour meter that was on it  can be believed (which I left off with the rewire BTW) Came off of a Wheel Horse that this guy had bought brand new in 1985,  has almost new starter on it (IDK if OEM or knock-off) and the muffler with the semi truck-looking chrome heat shield still there. 

He claims to have changed oil every 10-15 hours from Day 1, there is no filter on it,  the PTO side cover is just coated with oil. rest of engine not as bad in that regard.... looks like the seal blew, might be a plugged breather element like my KT had on it.  

I gave him his asking price of $25.   I had to drive an hour from work then just over an hour home, where work is usually about a 40 to 45 minute ride each way.  (from work to the engine to home, think "big triangle" on the map) 

There's a 20hp Mag on CL for $400 not terribly far from here, that I have no clue on # of hours or how it was maintained, that seller is claiming "low" hour but that is relative.....  my new one does have a Walbro carb on it, that will be swapped out....   plans are to pull the heads and have a look, if OK there then replace the breather and run it on the bench..... if I gotta rebuild it I hope I can get it done and back to "like new" for <$400.....  plans at the moment are for that to be my replacement on my GT19 if the KT goes dead....  unless something better comes along. Anyone know if they make those famous EPay "kits" for the Magnum twins? 

• Alc, Trav1s, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,904 Thanks
  • 3,525 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 10:11 PM

On the cast iron singles  if I remember right, a Q suffix means that those engines have balance gears, right? What significance does the Q have on an opposed twin?  this engine is an M18QS-24510

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,454 Thanks
  • 47,383 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 06:04 AM

I correct myself, these did come with a filter block-off plate. According to the parts manual, yours has one. So you may be able to find the parts to add the filter in. As far as the model # (M18QS), the Q stands for quiet model. Probably a better muffler.

I uploaded an Owners Manual as I didn't see one for the M18. There is a Parts and SM already in the Kohler section.

• Trav1s, dodge trucker, SupplySergeant and 1 other said thanks

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,904 Thanks
  • 3,525 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 12:41 PM

I got to talking to the guy I bought this engine from for a bit, like many of us he had  a garage full.... and talked of 21 acres across the county and a 12 acre riverfront property.... "got lots of leaves to deal with".... he said/ sounds like he used that WH mostly for pulling a self powered leaf vac. but it had a snow blade on it while I was there. 

this was in his wife's (deceased) parent's home, in town, he uses the home for an "office" and the garage for storage... 

saw a Bolens HT20 for the 1st time in that garage. those things are HUGE..... he has a couple more Bolens there, in pieces along the other wall..... along with attachments for them and for the WH that he pulled this engine from. and a Deines marty J..... another machine I'd heard of, but never seen before yesterday.  

told him the story of my burnt out Ariens that I bought for the snowblower and he pulled out his phone to show me another Bolens that he rebuilt from the ground up, that had been thru a fire.....he painted that one black and white, the HT20 in the garage was a faded orange and as old as the paint looked appeared to be original paint....  weird, as he showed me pix of the rebuilt from ashes machine that he had on his phone, the parts pile along the other wall, looked an awful lot like (most of)  the one he showed me pix of that was completely back together and runnable-looking....... he made no mention of taking that rebuilt one back apart.... the orange HT20 had a "dead" Kohler K532 on it and he had a couple more K532s in various stages of disassembly there. 

said that he doesn't sell via CL very much, was gonna advertise the engine that I bought as "for free," but his son said he had to put "some kind of number" onto it, even $25... son is the mayor of the town I picked up the engine at.... said if the engine didn't go for $25, that he was gonna drop it off at the scrap yard.... and that he'd seen online about the breather problem that makes these get an appetite for oil, after he bought his replacement engine. and that in  32 years he has never been deeper into this engine than the air filter housing since having bought it brand new in '85....been a good engine til it started eating oil.   but a running complete engine for $25, I didn't try to even dicker the price. 

found a couple of deals on NOS breathers for this engine, seemingly better deal now than when I bought the one for the KT... (same exact part)  even if that don't cure the oil eating, I can still use it in the rebuild.... gonna replace that, the crank seals,  and the head gaskets, and then  re evaluate this engine.... 

• KennyP, gopher and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,904 Thanks
  • 3,525 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 07:56 PM

(back to "more reply options"  so that space bar works, this is the only forum that I have problems with that, so it can't be the keyboard) 

engine is still in the back of the Wrangler.... have not messed with it yet ha ha....

has anyone here ever overhauled one of these engines? is there a "kit" available? or am I stuck piece-meal-ing a kit together?

I see they say this engine has same bore size as a K241, (10hp single cyl)  and that a K241's rings are the same as this engine would take, so would K241 pistons also be right for this engine?   just scoping out the options. I went straight to Kohler and punched in the model number and according to them, 0.003 over pistons and 0.010 over pistons and rings are discontinued/// though crazy expensive, std and 20-over are still showing available.....  time to start scouting EPay to see what I can find. std rods still show as available from OEM but no undersize options. 

seems like many of the opposed twins had similar internal specs from the 14hp to the 18hp... in a thread on another forum where it talked of a serial number split where they switched the exh valve to a 30* seat, and the "up to" ones were still 45*... and "service" cam/lifter packages that had an orange stripe for ID purposes.... and that all of these parts fit from an MV14 to an M/MV18 makes me wonder how/why they devalued some of these engines.... or is the opposite true.... as in this engine, even though called an "18" is really only good for 14HP???   

as I had said earlier in this thread I do plan to check this thing out before deciding for sure, but most likely I will overhaul it while it is off just so that I know where I stand, and that it is in fact a good engine that will last once installed.... including dropping the cylinder jugs off at a machine shop for inspection and a bore job if that's what it needs.

maybe I can determine that with my cylinder bore gauge and just looking at condition.... so that I can order parts. 

also will be looking for the parts to add a filter along the way, whether directly on the engine or the hoses so I can put one on remotely.... I see they call for 25 hr oil changes on engines w/o a filter and 50 hr intervals with the filter... and filter changes "every-other" oil change.  

• KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,454 Thanks
  • 47,383 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 08:10 PM

Haven't a need to overhaul mine as yet. I guess just see what you have and go from there!

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,848 Thanks
  • 8,035 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 10:12 AM

My Simplicity dealer here had the filter adaptor and gasket needed, an odd thing for when I changed over from remote to mounted on the Duetz. He's even a new dealer, so I bet any one will have that. Wasn't that much either, but am forgetting exact price now. I've Slept since then, heh! :smilewink: I Did have to cut away some on the air tins for clearance on the filter sticking out there, but not much.