• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 03:37 PM

I decided to pull the other 2 spindles apart since I rebuilt the broken one.  I figured out the other 2 spindles were put together wrong so the bottom bearing were not running in the races.  There were no spacers under the bottom bearing on the old style spindle shaft.  Good thing I pulled them apart.  Something seemed wrong when you turn them by hand.  They were not near as smooth as my rebuilt one.

The newer spindle shafts have the spacer built on the bottom like the one I just bought.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0204.jpg

Edited by coxhaus, February 15, 2018 - 03:52 PM.

• boyscout862, MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 Beef OFFLINE  

Beef
  • Member No: 89116
  • 45 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 04:45 PM

Where did you get your spindles?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 05:39 PM

Where did you get your spindles?

I ordered from Mission MFG which is powerking.com.  I only ordered 1.  If I find any cracks in the other 2 I will order more. I think the new spindles look stronger. They are a little heavier with the flange being bigger and the shaft at the bottom is thicker so you do not need a spacer.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 02:36 PM

The weather is great today so I pulled the bearings off the spindles. I used the press. It seemed simple as I did not need to adjust it. It turns out I had a tractor pin the perfect length so I pushed the spindle through to the next stop on the shaft and then I added the pin to punch it the rest of the way through.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0205.jpg
  • IMG_0206.jpg

• Alc, KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#5 Beef OFFLINE  

Beef
  • 45 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 12:08 PM

When you put the spindles together do you have a spacer in between the 2 bearings to set the clearance?

#6 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 01:37 PM

When you put the spindles together do you have a spacer in between the 2 bearings to set the clearance?

No, none of the 3 spindles I took apart were like that. Only the one in the picture had the spacer floating around between the bearings. If you think about it, tapered bearing should have outside pressure to adjust the bearing to the race. A inside spacer would prevent this. On the Power King spindles they use outside spacers to apply the perfect pressure to the bearings to the race in the hub. The pulleys seems to keep the spacers in proper alignment.  As there is no threaded nut in the Power King spindle hubs to apply perfect pressure on the bearings like a regular trailer hub. 

I think you would only use inside spacers with flat bearing like in a table saw arbor.

• MNGB said thank you

#7 Beef OFFLINE  

Beef
  • 45 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 09:42 PM

When I did mine I put them together and put the pulley on they locked up.

Its been a while since I did them and I thought the center spacer would set the bearing load. have to check. I looked on the parts Dia. and it shows a 1.125 spacer in the center That Mission sells.

• MNGB and coxhaus have said thanks

#8 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 01:36 PM

When I did mine I put them together and put the pulley on they locked up.

Its been a while since I did them and I thought the center spacer would set the bearing load. have to check. I looked on the parts Dia. and it shows a 1.125 spacer in the center That Mission sells.

I am not sure what is correct.  I have rebuilt or pulled trailer hubs apart to put new grease in. I have always adjusted the nut on the outside of the hub to get the bearings seated in the race. You don't want them too loose nor to tight but just right when you spin the hub.  I assume this is the same way for Power King mower hubs but instead you are pressing a pulley against the hub. I guess really there is a small spacer on the top side of the hub which the pulley contacts first.

My spindles were all different on the inside. So I am not sure what is correct on the setup. And to confuse matters more the Mission Mfg people told me with the new spindle you do not need the bottom spacer as the spindle has it built in. One of my pulleys had set screws which probably means it was not correct.  As I think the pulley adds tension to the hub to keep the bearings against the races. 

Beef has suggested using a spacer in the middle so I may try it as I have 1 spacer.  I would like to compare how the spindles turn with and without the spacer.  I can always order 2 more spacers.  I am not sure why when he applied pressure with the pulley it locked up.

• MNGB said thank you

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,704 Thanks
  • 1,605 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 02:23 PM

Hi this discussion about spacer got me interested in what is what I've looked at the manuals for different years decks,

the model 81 deck (I think was the newer) shows no spacers, the 1972 rotary mower deck shows no space that I can see the 1962 48 inch deck has a new departure spindle with ball bearings and has a spacer the other decks use a tapered roller bearing

Just to confuse things :smilewink: the 1985 and on decks do use a spacer but they are a completely different deck.

When I rebuilt one of mine spindles (a model 81 deck) there was no spacer in the middle there were collar/ spacers on eash end of the spindle shaft and I set the bearing preload as coxhaus has posted tightened the shaft nut until the drag felt right just like doing a wheel bearing , the retaining nuts on the shaft on this deck are self locking so its very easy to set the drag.

Edited by MNGB, February 18, 2018 - 02:33 PM.

• coxhaus said thank you

#10 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for clarification MNGB.  Now if I can only find enough seals I will put together my spindles.  O'Reilly thinks they found some seals.  They will be in on Monday.

• MNGB said thank you