12 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Ok, so I bought this cart from TSC , the "yard commander" , capacity "500LBS", used it twice, level it off with top soil, back it up to the pile with 318 and here what happens:IMG00416.jpg
Cheap Chinese made junk, totally failed. Anyway after 2 weeks, they finally decided to let me return it. Back to the hunt for a cart.

So I'm enjoying the long weekend at my brother in laws farm, and look what I find behind the shed:
IMG00425.jpg
I figure 20 years on the farm and it still in 1 piece, should be okay for the guy in town, Just goes to show how much better the old stuff is.

Going to give it a quick restoration.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 11:19 AM

Very good. I agree new carts are junk, which is why I plan to build my own soon.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 05:51 PM

Sadly, it's so true. We buy this crap from china, and quickley fill our land fill sites. And they now have more millionaires than Europe.
US is next on their radar screen.

At least, in Canada, we don't have to worry about the declining # of millionaires. Our government has been
keeping that under control for some time now.
  • mikebramel said thank you

#4 Rozwell Ranch OFFLINE  

Rozwell Ranch

• Member No: 2224
  • 5 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:50 PM

If you would happen to have any other pix (especially of the under carriage) I would really like to see them. I was an associate mechanical design engineer in my younger years and I like to look at product failures as a pastime hobby.

Do you recall what the ply rating on the tires was on the TSC unit ?? A lot of lesser quality mowers and accessories only come equipped with 2 ply tires. I'm willing to bet there are 4 ply tires on the Deere trailer...

#5 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 09:11 AM

I don't have the busted up wagon anymore, after 2 weeks, I drove to TSC and put the busted one beside the new one on display in the front, told them I'm not loading it in my truck and its time to act on this, I do have this other phone on my phone.
IMG00417.jpg
The John deere one is pretty much the same construction, just much much heavier steel. And when this was together it seemed solid also, just failed with the wieght to it.

#6 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 09:15 AM

I thought about that, I found some plans on the internet that went back the 60's, I'll try and find the link, but it looked very solid.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 10:24 AM

Too bad about the cart. I like the plastic ones myself but I don't know how they are constructed or how well they hold up. I used to have a basic 10cuft JD metal cart that I had put a wooden box in and used it to haul 1/2" clear stone for paths I was making in my yard. I loaded (with a shovel) 44tons of gravel into that cart over the summer hauled it around the yard and spread it. The cart was still like new when I sold it after buying a jd2320 with a loader. I wish I had of kept it now. I think the cart was a free bonus that came with a LT160 I bought in 2004.

#8 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 11:21 PM

Looks to me like the failure was due to the way the support from the axle to the bottom of the bed was designed. I have one I got at TSC that has preformed well except I kept getting flats. Put in tubes and that didn't cure the problem. I pulled the wheels which are two pieces put together. Then I tack welded them and smoothed the welds and sealed the the joint. Next I sanded the sealer smooth and installed tubes. They've held air ever since. I've had mine loaded with rocks and so far so good. Probably a different Chinaman built it. The one I bout has a one piece bed unlike the one my brother bought which has a bolted together seam running the length down the center. A little work and that Deere will look and work good as new.

#9 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 06:57 AM

The Deere is just solid, it looks like crap , but its solid yet.

The TSC wagon was also a bolt together. Seam (bolted) down the centre.

Turns out they will only let me exchange it or take store credit.

So I have a new one in the box! Which has to be put together!

I was thinking of dropping it off at the highschool in the fall. Tell the shop teach to weld it together and put some more support into the axle. Just pay for the steal, they can't make it any worse. LOL :)

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 09:55 AM

Too bad about your first wagon. Looks like you have a good replacement. Did you buy the first wagon already assembled? I prefer to build things that come in pieces myself. It seems when the store does it, sometimes they don't worry about details as much. Just a thought.

#11 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 10:06 AM

No I put the first one together myself, took 2.5 hrs todo it, everything was tight , just cheap steal.

I figure,,,

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 10:19 AM

The shop class sounds like a very good idea. Good luck with that in the fall.

#13 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 09:58 PM

Those pics eliminate the cart I was going to buy.