• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rewilfert OFFLINE  

rewilfert
  • Member No: 87385
  • 131 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:54 PM

Does anyone know if different width rear rims were used on the early/mid 1970's tractors between tire sizes 23x9.50-12 and 23x10.5-12?

My tractor has the 23x9.50-12 tires and the rim measures 7" wide.  What width rims were used for the 23x10.5-12 tires?

Does anyone know a good source for new rims if I want to go wider than the current 7"?

#2 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 164 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:43 PM

If you're only going an inch wider, that's only a half inch each side. The tires should ( no guarantee ) fit the wheels. The question I would ask is will the extra half inch interfere rub or make any contact with any part of the tractor because of that extra width? Also the wider tire may cause a change in the tread profile, making it a little taller. You may be able to control that with a change in tire pressure. Measure carefully allow for any suspension movement. Good luck
  • chieffan and rewilfert have said thanks

#3 rewilfert OFFLINE  

rewilfert
  • 131 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:14 PM

The wheels and tires on the tractor are original.  The tires are in really bad shape (but do hold air).  I found an exact tread match to the original here:

http://www.millertir...f-garden-4-ply/

They are spec'd to fit rims 8.5"-10.5" wide and are listed as 22.5" tall.  My current tires are 22.5" tall and just barely clear the rear of the mower deck.  I can't tolerate anything taller.  I'm concerned if I put the tires on a 7" wheel that is 1.5" narrower than the specified minimum that I'll end up increasing the height and hit the mower deck.

I did find barrels and centers to build wheels here:

http://www.millertir...-5-hole-convex/

http://www.millertir...-8-5-rim-blank/

http://www.millertir...en/12x10-5-rim/

If I go the route of building a wheel, I can make either width in any offset I need to make everything clear on the tractor.

I haven't had much luck finding the wider wheels in the necessary offsets off the shelf.  I was wondering what Sears used for the 10.5 tires since finding used wheels seems to be somewhat easy.

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,097 Thanks
  • 2,926 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 04:41 AM

Check with our sponsors and see if they can help.

• rewilfert said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,766 Thanks
  • 7,278 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 08:40 AM

Take an older 23 X 10-5 X 12 tire and put it on one of your rims.  Mount it on the tractor and you will know if it will work or not.  If you do run into clerance problems on the inside, put a spacer in a get longer studs.  Won't help with deck clearance though.

Edited by chieffan, February 15, 2018 - 11:47 AM.

#6 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 164 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 02:29 PM

I don't if if it helps you or not, but I have reversed the rims on a VW to change the offset, and mount a wider tire. That may or may not help on your tractor.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,455 Thanks
  • 47,383 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 03:40 PM

All the wheels I have here for 23X10.50 tires are 7" wide at the bead.

#8 rewilfert OFFLINE  

rewilfert
  • 131 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 06:34 PM

I don't if if it helps you or not, but I have reversed the rims on a VW to change the offset, and mount a wider tire. That may or may not help on your tractor.

My wheels are already flipped so that they provide the most rear clearance.  I'm wondering if the wheels are original to this tractor or not.  It seems like they stick out past the fender more than I would expect.  Good idea though.

#9 rewilfert OFFLINE  

rewilfert
  • 131 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 06:42 PM

All the wheels I have here for 23X10.50 tires are 7" wide at the bead.

That's good to know.  Talking to Miller Tire,  they do have a 12x8.5" wheel that looks like the original wheel, but it is out of stock right now.  I need to measure the offset on the tractor and see if it will work.  If so, I'll just go that route.  I'd prefer to get something new if possible.  Then I don't have to worry about it being straight and having it repainted.  If that off the shelf wheel won't work, they can make a 12x8.5" wheel in any offset I need.  They say that the 8.5" wide wheel works best for the tire I'm looking at.

#10 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 5,215 Thanks
  • 2,270 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 06:42 PM

My tractor has the 23x9.50-12 tires and the rim measures 7" wide.  What width rims were used for the 23x10.5-12 tires?

23x10.50-12 tires fit best on an 8" wide rim.   There are a lot of them out there used. 

You would need to know what rear offset you require to keep your clearance between the tire and axle housing.  

I know my Cubs, John Deere, Wheel horse and others, all seem to have different offsets and sometimes can't be reversed if installed on a different tractor.   I like the wheels sticking out wide.  My brother wants them tucked in as far as they will go.    Rick