20 replies to this topic

#1 WrenchHead OFFLINE  

WrenchHead
  • Member No: 89539
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:29 PM

Howdy All ! 

I Just got this Really Neat `Ol Shaw tractor & several implements & trailer -- I have NO idea what I`m really looking at -- If You do , PLEASE let me know , Also , If any specific pics are needed or wanted , Just let me know what & I`ll shoot some more & post `em --- THANKS FOR LOOKIN` !  

Attached Thumbnails

• Sell it 008.JPG
  • Sell it 017.JPG
  • Sell it 009.JPG
  • Sell it 012.JPG
  • Sell it 013.JPG

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#2 sharkman OFFLINE  

sharkman
  • Member No: 34759
  • 358 Thanks
  • 283 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 01:41 PM

those are the biggest wheel weights I have seen!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,924 Thanks
  • 4,992 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 02:54 PM

I think that is a Bitsa tractor. Bitsa this and bitsa that.  Looks to have started life as a D series walk behind. Shaw made some crude things but I think this was someone else's nightmare.

• Gtractor, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,812 Thanks
  • 9,151 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 03:11 PM

Welcome to GTT. I agree that it looks like a homemade which is even cooler than a Shaw. You can look up the Shaw Manuals in our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day) to compare. You have alot of nice looking treasures in your yard. The LF Bolens in the back ground of the fourth pic is my favorite.

What do you plan to do with this machine? I'm afraid that the tires alone will be very expensive when you go to fix it up. Homemade tractors are popular with some of the guys. I have a homemade that my FIL built over 50 years ago from a Crosley and B-29 parts. Enjoy our site. Good Luck, Rick
  • DougT said thank you

#5 WrenchHead OFFLINE  

WrenchHead
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 04:10 PM

Howdy All ! 

I Just got this Really Neat `Ol Shaw tractor & several implements & trailer -- I have NO idea what I`m really looking at -- If You do , PLEASE let me know , Also , If any specific pics are needed or wanted , Just let me know what & I`ll shoot some more & post `em --- THANKS FOR LOOKIN` !  

OK All , So , after MUCH Hunting to find out what this thing really is  & ID ing  The engine as a Briggs mdl ZH ( 1931 to 1945 ) , I`m VERY curious to know : does anybody have pics of a Shaw Mdl RD ? -- For the life of me , I cant find ANY  -- Seems Mr Shaws 1st actual riding tractors were rear steer , as is mine , But I cant seem to find any pics of anything Shaw actually made that is , Engine alone says the timing of build is about right to be a VERY early version Gen 1 rider ---   

#6 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,924 Thanks
  • 4,992 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 05:07 PM

I don't think shaw made anything rear steer. I've never seen anything on it. This isn't even close to an RD series. They used the D series walk behinds but the drive was in the rear. Here is a pic of an RD8

DSC02982.JPG

Here is an RD8 without the hood.

DSC02712.JPG

This a D series walk behind.

DSC02990.JPG

If you post the serial number of the engine I can give you a date built.

#7 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,365 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 05:27 PM

Interesting machine but it doesn't look very user friendly. Is that a direct solid link steering with no gearing? That and the steel wheel for a steering wheel look like a really good way to break an arm in multiple places. Don

#8 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,365 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 05:28 PM

those are the biggest wheel weights I have seen!

And they don't match. Don

#9 WrenchHead OFFLINE  

WrenchHead
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Doug ! ---  Serial is 12865 --- Heres the Only place I found rear steer Shaw info , 5th paragraph from the bottom  :

http://www.tractorfr...t/ShawR12T.html

Shaw's first riding tractors--the RD Series--were offered in 1938. These were basically D-Series walk-behind tractors with riding sulkies; they featured rear-wheel steer and deluxe engine hoods. R Series tractors were issued in 1945. These were riding garden tractors with more conventional designs; they incorporated Ford drive-trains acquired from salvage yards. By 1947, this series included the Model R7, which weighed 1,274 pounds and was powered by a 7.75 hp. Briggs & Stratton Model ZZ engine and the Model HY8, a high-clearance tractor weighing about 1,350 pounds and using a 9 hp. Wisconsin Model AHH engine. The Model R7was rated for a 10-inch plow and the HY8 for a 12-inch plow. Both tractors featured three-speed transmissions and Rockwell dry-disk clutches. They were advertised as small farm tractors or large garden tractors suitable for plowing, harrowing, cultivating, raking and pushing dirt and snow with front blades. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and Traill95 have said thanks

#10 WrenchHead OFFLINE  

WrenchHead
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 05:37 PM

Because my computer skills are terrible , I cant seem to add more pics here 

If Ya can tell me how , I`ll post more detailed pics --- Thanks everybody ! --- Steve .

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#11 WrenchHead OFFLINE  

WrenchHead
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 05:57 PM

Interesting machine but it doesn't look very user friendly. Is that a direct solid link steering with no gearing? That and the steel wheel for a steering wheel look like a really good way to break an arm in multiple places. Don

Agreed , It`s pretty scary , It HAS hurt people before :   I know for sure from the man I got it from that in the early 60s , He and his brother were hauling wood in the trailer and because it was snowing & getting dark , They decided to throw it in neutral down a hill as it was just too slow in High gear & they were Tired , Cold & Hungry --- 

Bad Idea --- The brakes failed to slow it down with that load & 2 people , He promptly lost control of the steering ( GO FIGURE ! ) 

It promptly flipped over , trailer , wood , tools and all on the boys resulting in  broken bones to both , multiple cuts & bruises & a Large hospital bill , His Pap was NOT Happy --- He says He NEVER attempted ``overdrive`` Again ---- Especially because Pap put Him on Stall mucking duty by himself for 3 months to teach Him responsibility right after He healed up  , A job usually done by all 4 brothers ----  LOL ! ---    

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#12 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,924 Thanks
  • 4,992 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Doug ! ---  Serial is 12865 --- Heres the Only place I found rear steer Shaw info , 5th paragraph from the bottom  :

http://www.tractorfr...t/ShawR12T.html

The engine was built in March, 1938. Shaw did have riding sulkies for the D series walk behinds but they still used handlebars. They were not considered RD models. The RD models were all basically like I pictured. The info on that website is wrong. I know the guy in charge of it. I'll have to give him L. This tractor was simply something someone put together using a Shaw walk behind. It didn't leave the Shaw factory that way.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Leonard VanCamp, Clifford Bridgford and 1 other said thanks

#13 WrenchHead OFFLINE  

WrenchHead
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:20 PM

The engine was built in March, 1938. Shaw did have riding sulkies for the D series walk behinds but they still used handlebars. They were not considered RD models. The RD models were all basically like I pictured. The info on that website is wrong. I know the guy in charge of it. I'll have to give him L. This tractor was simply something someone put together using a Shaw walk behind. It didn't leave the Shaw factory that way.

LAAAAME , But , @ Least I now know what it is ( Sort of )   , Somehow , I  knew it was too good to be true I actually found something That Rare & cool  But I sure would like to meet the man that built it all those years ago , I`ve been a Mechanic / fabricator / welder for over 25 yrs & It sure fooled me about being home made --- Thanks Doug , I Truly appreciate your Time , Effort , & Knowledge ---  Steve---  

#14 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,365 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:26 PM

I suppose a sulky with handle bars could be considered rear wheel steer, or maybe articulated?.  Don

#15 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,365 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:51 PM

Because my computer skills are terrible , I cant seem to add more pics here 

If Ya can tell me how , I`ll post more detailed pics --- Thanks everybody ! --- Steve .

Go to the bottom of the page to the box that is labeled reply to this topic, go to the lower right corner to the more reply options button. Click on that button. on the resulting page you will find the attach files button. Click on that button. Find the pictures you wish to post in your computer and click them. then post. If you continue to have trouble just ask for help, Don

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shaw tractor, identification