#1 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,104 Thanks
  • 10,178 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:54 AM

I was in contact with my Tech Support to help reset a password. While there, he wanted to sell me a new web browser, SafeCentral. Among other things, he claimed that it would catch hackers leaving something to obtain your username and passwords. I didn't buy it because I wanted to run it past you folks.

#2 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 875 Thanks
  • 652 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:07 AM

Haven't heard of that one yet. I use Webroot with Chrome or Firefox. Top rated by PC mag.

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,163 Thanks
  • 3,347 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:28 AM

NO WAY I would touch that. SafeCentral is by AOL which is currently owned by Verizon. Guess they are still trying to scam people into that junk.

I would rather use Microsoft Edge but I prefer Firefox. Chrome WAS decent but all Google software is loaded with tracking 

• LilysDad said thank you

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 2,113 Thanks
  • 1,780 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 10:46 AM

Why would you pay for a browser?....Most are free with added ad blockers. There are also free versions of virus protection. Just sayin'

#5 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 03:24 PM

I want someone else to keep up with security now days as I am retired.  I had enough of that when I was working.  I use Microsoft Edge and let Microsoft keep up with it.  I just apply latest security updates and I don't not worry about it.

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,104 Thanks
  • 10,178 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:36 PM

. . .Chrome WAS decent but all Google software is loaded with tracking 

You mean they can see the path I have worn from my easy chair to my shop?!!

I'm not crazy about Edge, I have Chrome, but Edge keeps trying to worm in. Our communications in my area is Frontier, which is who offered me SafeCentral. I didn't need it, but I wanted to check and make sure I wasn't missing the next big thing.

• Cvans said thank you

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,163 Thanks
  • 3,347 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 12:38 AM

Google software tracking remembers every search that you do and web page you visit no matter what you are doing it on. It does track your exact GPS location VIA your devices Wifi or Geolocation VIA your devices IP address on your home PC or Laptop or Tablet PC or Smart Phone. It makes search suggestions and displays Ads that it thinks you might be interested in.

I'm not comfortable with anyone but ME knowing what I do and where I do it 24/7. Microsoft integrated ALOT of web based tracking in Windows 8.0,8.1 and 10 but there are a bunch of settings and tweaks that will allow you to turn it off. You can not completely disable tracking in Google software but they do have SOME options that you can turn on and off If you have a google account. 

#8 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 03:18 AM

Your ISPs are tracking you regardless of what software you use.

I used Chrome many years ago and got hacked through their sounds files.  I think it is easier to use 1 company's software rather than try tracking multiple software's companies security software updates.