• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,923 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:07 AM

My engine guy stopped by yesterday and caught me as I was about to fill my newly rebuilt onan with Mobile 1 synthetic. He said that I should be using a high zinc oil in my mower engines and specially for the break in period. I stopped right away and got some VR1 racing oil from the local parts store. 

I will most likely make a permanent switch to vr1 for my small engines, but it is hard to stray away from what has worked for me for many many years. 

Valvoline makes two racing oils, one with detergent and one non-detergent. If the container is marked "not legal for street use" its non-detergent. Most of the on the shelf valvoline VR-1 contains adequate zinc and detergent for passenger cars.

• KennyP, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,206 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:42 AM

Zinc is good stuff for protecting valve train components.  They've taken it out of automotive oils because it's bad for catalytic converters.

Supposedly diesel oils have lots of zinc, and I bet it's a lot cheaper than racing oils.  Everything I have that doesn't have a catalytic converter gets diesel oil.

• limebuzz, boyscout862, LilysDad and 6 others have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,346 Thanks
  • 7,109 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:27 AM

I ran out of standard oil last fall and now ill use diesel oil in all the small engine.  Only have on oil around that way.  Use Quaker State Hi Mileage in my truck.  Been working well.

• boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#4 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 2,923 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:29 AM

Zinc is good stuff for protecting valve train components.  They've taken it out of automotive oils because it's bad for catalytic converters.

Supposedly diesel oils have lots of zinc, and I bet it's a lot cheaper than racing oils.  Everything I have that doesn't have a catalytic converter gets diesel oil.

My engine guy told me the same exact thing, but he also mentioned that many of the off brands like travlers and such have a very low zinc content and that you need to find a brand that still has a .12 or better rating. 

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent zinc and .12 percent phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil, which contains .14 percent zinc and .13 percent phosphorus.

Valvoline makes two racing oils, one with detergent and one non-detergent. If the container is marked "not legal for street use" its non-detergent. Most of the on the shelf valvoline VR-1 contains adequate zinc and detergent.

I am doing a break in on my rebuilt engine so I found an oil that has the % of zinc stated...so I can rest assured. 

• boyscout862, chieffan and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,308 Thanks
  • 5,803 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:42 AM

I replied to Bill's comment on your FB post. I run Rotella in all my  stuff.

• chieffan and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,346 Thanks
  • 7,109 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:47 AM

I use Northland in everything, along with Baldwin filters and Interstate batteries.  All from the same guy who has been turning wrenches for 40 years and his Dad a lot longer.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#7 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 555 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:59 AM

Not all diesel oils are compatible with gas engines.

If the container has a Sx classification like SC, SD or SE it is for gasoline engines. The first letter S for spark is the key.

The same container may have a Cx classification like CC, CD or CE for diesel engines. The first letter C for compression is the key.

Garry

Edited by GWest, February 14, 2018 - 10:00 AM.

• limebuzz, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 2,923 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 10:18 AM

I replied to Bill's comment on your FB post. I run Rotella in all my  stuff.

Thanks I am going to look into Rotella with the VR1 price after break in and if its much cheaper then 25.00 a gallon I may switch to Rotella, I can get the VR1 easily and not sure about the Rotella yet so local supply may have factor. I do have 3 auto part store a walmart and a tractor supply near by. 

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#9 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,206 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 10:21 AM

Not all diesel oils are compatible with gas engines.

If the container has a Sx classification like SC, SD or SE it is for gasoline engines. The first letter S for spark is the key.

The same container may have a Cx classification like CC, CD or CE for diesel engines. The first letter C for compression is the key.

Garry

It's not a matter of compatible, it's what their design intent is.  The "S" oils are designed for passenger cars and the older versions (SE, SF) can damage the catalytic converter on gasoline engines.  The C series oils are designed to work with diesel emission systems.

We're talking about off road engines here, no catalysts involved.

Unless you've got a turbocharger, exhaust catalyst or wet clutch (motorcycles) the C oils aren't going to damage anything.

A lot of motorcycle riders use Rotella for the same reason we might in non-automotive gasoline engines.  A couple years ago Shell added the SM designation to Rotella and that concerns me with a wet clutch so I switched to Delvac for the motorcycles.

• MolonLabe and John Arsenault have said thanks

#10 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 2,837 Thanks
  • 1,582 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 10:34 AM

Thanks I am going to look into Rotella with the VR1 price after break in and if its much cheaper then 25.00 a gallon I may switch to Rotella, I can get the VR1 easily and not sure about the Rotella yet so local supply may have factor. I do have 3 auto part store a walmart and a tractor supply near by. 

I buy Rotella 30 weight at Walmart.

• TAHOE said thank you

#11 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 03:03 PM

I am having a hard time now with oils since they pulled the ZDDP, zinc out.  I started using diesel oils but now I have heard they are pulling the zinc out of the diesel oils.  Diesel oils have a higher zinc and detergent rating than passenger car oils.  I have now heard diesel oils require higher levels of zinc to be effective because the high detergents offset zinc levels.  So now I am thinking the diesel oil since they are pulling zinc of it too, even though it has more zinc than gas oils is not doing what I want for my older gas vehicles.  I also have an older 1995 Ford diesel pickup with the 7.3 liter.  What oil now has enough zinc?  I seem to be lost on oil.  Maybe racing oils is the answer. I don't know.

#12 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 2,094 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 11:59 AM

I run Rotella across the board except the car and truck, 30w in everything except ariens s14(calls for 10w-30), and 9n(gets 15w-40), have had no problems, all my on road vehicles get synthetic oil.

#13 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 01:52 PM

The last couple of years I have used Rotella 15w-40 in my old diesel pickup. I have heard they have changed Rotella and pulled the zinc out.  What do we do now? Add zinc or maybe STP to Rotella oil?

I am thinking about switching to high mileage synthetic oil for my old cars.  I heard high mileage oil has more zinc.

I am now running Kohler 4 cycle oil in my Kohler powered Power King tractor as it has more zinc than car oil.

I still think the oil companies need to lay out what oil to use with what vehicle now days.

#14 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,289 Thanks
  • 6,377 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 03:01 PM

Last summer I changed the oil in the Ford 850 gas tractor. The only heavier weight oil I could find at the COOP was 15w-40 diesel oil. After putting that in the engine smoked out the crankcase breather and started using oil. Never had to ad oil before that. Guess I'm going to have to change to something else. 

#15 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 100 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 10:39 AM

I will spend some time today reading this thread, but have you guys looked at AMSOIL’s small engine oil?

Has high zinc and available over the phone or online @ http://bit.ly/BuyAmsoilOnline
I can get a more direct link later.