Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How often do you use your sub compact loader?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 655 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 11:27 PM

Get the loader.  I was where you are when I bought my JD 2320.  The difference in that payment will not be a factor in the long run.  My loader never comes off.  May drop the bucket to mow. 

Find a set of forks that use the same quick attach (dealer happened to have a used set) & you will never have to "heavy lift" again.  I probably use my forks more than the bucket since many of the projects I bought it for are done.

I also have the hoe which does not get as much use now as it did in the beginning, same as above but it stays on except in mowing season.

Also have a box blade which again was used heavily at first, not so much now.  I hate the 3 point hitch.  In my opinion the worst invention ever!

• Cvans, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#17 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 717 Thanks
  • 811 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 11:33 PM

It will be used on mine and my dad's properties.

4ish acres total.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'd get the loader, yep they add to the end cost but they don't loose value, in fact I would venture to say it will make the machine more saleable down the road as most folks will want a loader on this size machine and dont want to fuss around looking for one.  Use the bucket for mulch, moving soil or stone, a mobile crane,,, add a grapple,, switch to forks for palletized loads,, pop a blade attachment on for snow removal.  Almost forgot get the 3rd function for the front and the rear remote.

Edited by js5020, February 13, 2018 - 11:42 PM.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 11:52 PM

I don't know what you need but let me tell what I use. I have a Ford 2000 with FEL and 3ph. I use the FEL for firewood, snowplowing, and picking up anything to spare my back. I use the 3ph for a counterweight or an 8' York Rake.

I also have a small set of homemade forks on the back of my Simplicity 3310. They can pickup 250# and carry it around. I also have alot of attachments for the Simplicities.

There are alot of options for you. A new tractor will be convenient but expensive. Take your time and see what comes up. We have a MF1010 that seems nice for $2800 on CL in my area. http://gardentractor...2800-lebanonct/ Maybe what you need will come along. Good Luck, Rick
  • Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#19 Deerefarmer41 OFFLINE  

Deerefarmer41
  • Member No: 10761
  • 113 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:49 AM

+I would venture to guess, that 50% of the time I start the subcompact, it is to use the loader for something. Being 77 years old might have something to do with it. From moving firewood, to moving manure, to moving snow, it gets a workout. I do not have a set of forks made for the loader, but use the 3 pt ones, setting in the bucket and a chain & binder around the top of the forks to the top of the bucket.
  • olcowhand, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#20 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,525 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:40 AM

Having had a loader most of my life I'd never be without one. I don't use it everyday and not even for a month or more at times,but when I need it , it's there ready to do the work that I need it for. I actually have 2 loaders in the yard, use the big one for heavier work and the small one for the smaller lighter stuff.

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,337 Thanks
  • 5,819 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:47 AM

I have just a small johnny bucket on my Sears, maybe only use it once or twice a year. It's one of those I don't use it often, but when i do, it sure saves the day. If I get my new tractor up and running for mower duty, I may convert it to a small hydro using a GM power steering pump to dedicate to this tractor.

I bet if you don't get the loader, you will kick yourself down the road when you do need it.

• boyscout862, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#22 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 358 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 10:27 AM

It's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! 

#23 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,584 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:02 PM

The first lawn tractor I ever looked at with a blade was an MTD  with Briggs twin, deck, blade, and yard trailer. Guy wanted $600 for it at a yard sale. I left it there until I got down the road a ways and got to thinking about how hard it was going to be to shovel snow the next winter while I was kicking my self in the A#$%. Went back and got it. A much better built tractor would have been better but that one served well.    Don

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#24 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,357 Thanks
  • 7,638 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:18 PM

Myself at the time I got my Power King 2418 (, which isn't a sub compact ) then my Ford 3400 utility tractor was used a lot the PK was bought with needing the frame repaired and engine , I was going to fix it up and resell . Well that little loader was so handy for all the little jobs , moving a wood stove picking up stones by just pushing them in the bucket , made the jib boom for the bucket , so much moreI could get into areas I wouldn't dare try to get the full size in and with my yards slope much safer too . Never sold the PK and the Ford sat so long until I got it going a year or so ago . I hope some day to get a newer sub compact or compact , 4wd hydro ect
  • olcowhand, boyscout862, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,783 Thanks
  • 7,286 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:30 PM

I hate the 3 point hitch.  In my opinion the worst invention ever!

Nothing wrong with a 3 point hitch.   Tractor and implement have to be on the same plane to work.  If not, that is what the arm adjustment is for.   If you think a 3 point is bad try a IH fast hitch  (2 point)

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 43,177 Thanks
  • 32,012 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:30 PM

I'd get the loader, yep they add to the end cost but they don't loose value, in fact I would venture to say it will make the machine more saleable down the road as most folks will want a loader on this size machine and dont want to fuss around looking for one.  Use the bucket for mulch, moving soil or stone, a mobile crane,,, add a grapple,, switch to forks for palletized loads,, pop a blade attachment on for snow removal.  Almost forgot get the 3rd function for the front and the rear remote.

I'd get the loader, yep they add to the end cost but they don't loose value, in fact I would venture to say it will make the machine more saleable down the road as most folks will want a loader on this size machine and dont want to fuss around looking for one.  

I also think a loader will help tremendously in case of re-selling for much higher dollars, and faster sale down the road.

It's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! 

EXACTLY!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#27 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,783 Thanks
  • 7,286 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:37 PM

Regardless of what you decide I strongly suggest you shop around a little more and look an an Orange unit.  If I was buying new or used, the last color I would get would be green.  $$$$$$  from start to finish  ,purchase and any parts needed down the rode.   I learned that the hard way.

#28 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 4,518 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 01:01 PM

Parts, service, and dealer location would be part of my buying plan if I ever bought a new one. I would pick one of the major brands of tractors. Where I live, there are three major brands of tractors with 15 minutes of my home.

Noel   

• js5020 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#29 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 01:06 PM

I would like a front loader to be able to turn my compose pile.  But I need a mower more than a front end loader which makes the tractor too long for mowing for me.  

Edited by coxhaus, February 14, 2018 - 01:07 PM.

#30 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 717 Thanks
  • 811 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 01:39 PM

I would like a front loader to be able to turn my compose pile.  But I need a mower more than a front end loader which makes the tractor too long for mowing for me. 

The new sub compact JD or Kubota loaders can be on or off in less than 5 minutes, either are so easy.  The newest Kubota doesn't even require leaving the seat.

Edited by js5020, February 14, 2018 - 02:01 PM.

• boyscout862, EricR, propane1 and 1 other said thanks