• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 99 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 12:48 PM

Struggling to get engine running on my B-110.  Won't fire up.

Looks like I have a weak spark issue.  Not wanting to pull the engine if I don't have to, so, I'm looking into getting an external coil to solve the problem.  

I'm not sure if it will work with the NOVA ignition module that is currently installed.

Has anyone combined the NOVA module with an external coil ?

• chieffan and Dince have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 02:13 PM

is this a Briggs cast iron engine?  I have done what you are talking about on one before, but you need an added toggle switch or different ignition switch to feed the coil with 12V+ and to act as a kill switch. not hard to do. I'd look for an automotive coil with "internal resistor"

or else you will have to run a resistor in the + side of the coil or you will be replacing the points quite often. 

• Dee, boyscout862, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#3 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• 99 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 02:48 PM

is this a Briggs cast iron engine?  I have done what you are talking about on one before, but you need an added toggle switch or different ignition switch to feed the coil with 12V+ and to act as a kill switch. not hard to do. I'd look for an automotive coil with "internal resistor"

or else you will have to run a resistor in the + side of the coil or you will be replacing the points quite often. 

Yes it is a Briggs cast iron engine.

I'll look into the switch issue, and see if I can find out how to integrate the ignition switch and a kill switch you describe.  I've also since learned that the NOVA modules will not work with an external (car) coil.  I'll have to go back to the old points and condenser to make this work.

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 06:02 PM

Yup on the points in place of the Nova module. Would also need a condenser for a battery ignition system either from an older car or a Kohler engine with battery ignition. The toggle switch is a very minor deal. And DON'T run it thru the current ignition switch unless you want to see it go up in smoke
  • Dee, chieffan and Dince have said thanks

#5 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• 99 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 08:14 PM

So this works independent of the ignition switch ? 

To operate:

I would turn on the toggle switch then turn on the ignition to start the engine. 

When done, I would turn off the ignition and then turn off the toggle switch .

#6 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• 99 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 11:31 PM

Well, good news.

I managed to dig up some old points and condenser parts. Got them swapped in for the NOVA module and wow.... a bright blue spark !

The engine fired right up (on the first setting of the points). Didn't even need the external coil (yet). What a relief ..... didn't have to pull the engine.

The problem was the NOVA module. That thing had run great for many years. I didn't think they wore out, but apparently they do.

I'll run with these points/condenser for a while and hopefully they will get me through the season. If they give me problems, which is why I pulled them before, I may buy an external battery coil.

Thanks for the help and advice.

• olcowhand, Alc, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,762 Thanks
  • 7,276 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 10:08 AM

NOVA made several different modules but if your lasted for several years you probably got the life out of it.  Much longer than points would have lasted probably.  According to NOVA the B&S module should be green #205 or brown #209.  Glad to hear you got it running again.

• Dee and Dince have said thanks

#8 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• 99 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 06:21 PM

NOVA made several different modules but if your lasted for several years you probably got the life out of it.  Much longer than points would have lasted probably.  According to NOVA the B&S module should be green #205 or brown #209.  Glad to hear you got it running again.

I was not aware of the different colors.  Mine was silver and that was the only color I found for NOVA.  I see the brand called "ATOM" from Australia comes in different colors.  This might be the same company with different names in different countries.

https://pickersyard....ion-module.html

• Dince said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spark, no start, coil, nova, b-110