• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Purviscw779 OFFLINE  

Purviscw779
  • Member No: 89519
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 07:12 PM

I'm new to the Massey Ferguson garden tractors, but not to garden tractors as I have a few old classics soften around. I just bought a MF10 a few days ago for $20 and it looks to be complete minus the engine. Eventually it will be restored to original condition but for now I have a 5hp Briggs & Stratton I/C engine I want to put on it to try it out. It has the vari-drive on it and I need to know does it take a special pulley on the engine or will any pulley work as long as it's the right diameter and width? I do not have the mower deck so I don't need the second groove all I want is to be able to use the vari-drive. Any help will be much appreciated.

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,614 Thanks
  • 3,539 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 10:22 AM

Welcome aboard, we have a manual section that may help you I would think a 3'' dia pulley would suffice.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,985 Thanks
  • 3,026 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 07:27 PM

I'm new to the Massey Ferguson garden tractors, but not to garden tractors as I have a few old classics soften around. I just bought a MF10 a few days ago for $20 and it looks to be complete minus the engine. Eventually it will be restored to original condition but for now I have a 5hp Briggs & Stratton I/C engine I want to put on it to try it out. It has the vari-drive on it and I need to know does it take a special pulley on the engine or will any pulley work as long as it's the right diameter and width? I do not have the mower deck so I don't need the second groove all I want is to be able to use the vari-drive. Any help will be much appreciated.

The MF 10 has a variable drive and uses a 7/8 inch wide belt.  This means you need the correct pulley.  I suspect the site sponsors would have one.  Otherwise, you will need to try feebay.

The belts are available online.  There is a pinned thread about belt sizes in the Massey Ferguson forum:

http://gardentractor...ss-ref-webpage/

• MFDAC said thank you

#4 Purviscw779 OFFLINE  

Purviscw779
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 08:14 AM

If I can't get a original pulley I was thinking of getting a variable pitch pulley.

#5 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 88933
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 10:23 PM

I am doing a similar job right now. I will be putting a 10hp Briggs flat head iron core.... in my 1966 mf10. you will need the variable pulley and a crank shaft shim as the Briggs are 1" diameter and the pulley is 1 and 1/8. you can check out My page MF10 B and S swap. I'm new to garden tractors generally so I suggest my page more for the advice I've been given than for anything I can suggest 😁
  • MFDAC said thank you

#6 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 88933
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 10:24 PM

forgot to mention the shims are available on ebay
  • MFDAC said thank you

#7 Purviscw779 OFFLINE  

Purviscw779
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 01:04 PM

forgot to mention the shims are available on ebay

Yes I've seen those shims I order most of my stuff on eBay and was thinking of getting one of those and then I found a pulley with a 3/4 bore for $25. I'm using a 5 hp briggs and stratton I/C flat head for now. Eventually though I want to go to a 10 - 12 hp Briggs or Kohler. I have a k series kohler 7 hp with the belt drive starter generator I may use but it needs to be bored and rebuilt as it's compression isn't what it should be. For now though I'll just use the briggs.

Edited by Purviscw779, February 16, 2018 - 01:10 PM.

• MFDAC and lloydmf10 have said thanks

#8 Purviscw779 OFFLINE  

Purviscw779
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 01:29 PM

Welcome aboard, we have a manual section that may help you I would think a 3'' dia pulley would suffice.

Thanks I just downloaded the manuals I needed. This is a great site. I wish I had known about this when I was restoring my Allis Chalmers. ☺

Edited by Purviscw779, February 16, 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#9 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,651 Thanks
  • 1,739 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 09:07 PM

Yes I've seen those shims I order most of my stuff on eBay and was thinking of getting one of those and then I found a pulley with a 3/4 bore for $25. I'm using a 5 hp briggs and stratton I/C flat head for now. Eventually though I want to go to a 10 - 12 hp Briggs or Kohler. I have a k series kohler 7 hp with the belt drive starter generator I may use but it needs to be bored and rebuilt as it's compression isn't what it should be. For now though I'll just use the briggs.

Another thing you will need to find or build is this belt shield. It also serves as a friction device to stop the belt from turning to shift gears when the clutch is pushed. I am living proof that this is needed as I tried a "test run" without it on the engine and that wide belt grabs the pulleys well enough that the transaxle doesn't stop to allow shifting! This one is from an HH120 and adapted to a Honda clone. The MF10G and MF12G are very similar tractors.

Post some pics!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Belt gaurd running board 001.jpg

• olcowhand said thank you

#10 Purviscw779 OFFLINE  

Purviscw779
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 01:03 PM

Update: I bought a 4" variable pitch pulley on eBay for $25. I talked to a guy with a stock pulley and he said it was 4" so that's where I got my measurement. I also just acquired a Kohler 10 hp k series which is what I wanted originally so I'm very happy I made a deal on the moter i wanted without spending money. I will post some pics soon of what it looks like now and I will post more as I progress. Thanks to everyone who replied you have been a big help.

Edited by Purviscw779, February 25, 2018 - 01:04 PM.

• olcowhand and DMAX have said thanks

#11 Purviscw779 OFFLINE  

Purviscw779
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 01:09 PM

How do I post pics on here ?
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic