#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,370 Thanks
  • 10,139 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 07:27 PM

You have the manuals then and that helps a bunch.  One things that makes a big difference in performance is to change the motor over to 220 V.   Lot easier on the motor, instantly up to speed and little draw down if working it hard.  Have to make the change inside the motor but not everybody has easy access to 220V.

Turned out the other 5 rollers this afternoon.  Have 10 now, only need 9 but one is about 1/8" short so if things get tight when putting it together I can slip that one in the mix and should be OK.  May start drilling them tomorrow.  Supposed to have a .790" bore so not sure what bit I will use for that yet. Will come up with one I bet.

I think I lost my 25/32 bit, and my neighbor borrowed my 51/64 bit. Darn thing is dull, anyway.
  • chieffan and logmillingman have said thanks

#17 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,332 Thanks
  • 7,104 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 11:08 AM

I have a bit grinder that works pretty good.  The smaller bits like 3/16 and under don't always come out right and ar ground low on the cutting edge.  I have a new set i picked up at one of those traveling tools sale deals.  Haven't used but a couple out of it.  They are usually good for a few holes but are soft and don't hold an edge well.  Will see what I have in the spade bits.  I know I don't have a bard point that big.  Have the heater on to thaw out the exhaust fan so going out shortly and start doing something.  Got the hard work done.  10 - 40lb bags of wood pellets + 8 5 gal pails of shelled corn carried down in the basement for the corn stove.  Stopped for a coffee break.  Oh, and the dog and I walked for about 1/2 mile this morning which is usual for his routine.

• KennyP and logmillingman have said thanks

#18 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,332 Thanks
  • 7,104 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 06:29 PM

Went to the wood shop and set up to drill the holes through the rollers.  Decided on a 7/8" bit as I don't have the shaft either so can get a shaft that will work, 1/2" pipe or some such thing.  Once I had the blocks set up for a dead center on the drill bit it went pretty good.  Drill little over half way through, turn it over and rill the other half out.  Clean the hole up with a 1/2" round wood rasp.  They came out good and clean.  Any one interested in a pile of fresh white oak wood chips ? ?  Sure makes the shop smell good.  The knives I have are not the best as they don't hold an edge very long.  I have a Foley Bell Saw 1" belt/ 8" disk sander right at the end of the lathe so can touch them up when needed, which was quite often.

The front right roller on in the group photo is not shorter, it is sitting is a low place on the table extension on the saw.  Have them in the basement ready for the wood sealer.  Plan is to turn them flat in a pan to be sure I get a good soaking in the bore.  Stand them on little strips of wood on end to let the dry for a couple days.  Should be ready to go by mowing time.  Have about 6" of snow to move out of the drive tomorrow.  Blade some first then fire up the thrower.

SAM_0505.JPG   SAM_0506.JPG   SAM_0507.JPG

SAM_0508.JPG   SAM_0509.JPG

Edited by chieffan, February 12, 2018 - 06:32 PM.

• Alc, lyall, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#19 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 2,227 Thanks
  • 1,593 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 06:41 PM

good job

I use saw dust and chip in the flower beds

• logmillingman said thank you

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,881 Thanks
  • 47,091 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 07:17 PM

I'd soak them in linseed oil first! But that's me!

• logmillingman said thank you

#21 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 862 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 07:24 PM

Nice looking rollers chieffan that white oak should hold up well :thumbs: