Getting tired of sitting inside reading so headed for the wood shop yesterday to start turning out a set of deck rollers. I picked up a rough 3.5" square stick of White Oak about 8' long at the lumber yard. Gave it to me as they get them between re-bar bundles. I had about 1.5" bow in it but figured I could work around that. Rollers I need are a tad over 4" long so cut the oak up in 24" pieces.
Next step was to mark the center on both ends of each piece. 2 lines from corner to opposite corner and a awl taped in at the crossing point. Then run a 1/8" drill in about 1/2" to help accept the live center and drive point on the wood lathe. I used a 3/4" wood chisel to cut in the bite groves for the drive center. This is done on one end only.
Put a sharp rip blade in the 10" table saw, set the blade at 45°. I needed the rip fence set to leave 2/3 of the flat side of the stock.
This just a bit under 2-3/8. I run the stock through the saw taking off all four corners. Set the Shopsmith up for wood lathe operation and oiled the lower shaft and the top speed control shaft seeing has it had not been used for some time. The nice thing about a Shopsmith is one can dial up the speed they want without messing with any belts.
Once the stock was in the lathe I was ready to start getting the stock down to a round piece. Had some vibration to start, but after a few passes with the gouge it started to lessen. Set the calipers to 3" and kept working it down, little at a time till I had a fairly uniform diameter the length of the stock. Went down another 1/4" on the calipers and turned the stock down to 2 3/4. I marked out the length of each roller, one at a time using the parting knife to separate each roller. The parting knife was run in till I had a 2.5" diameter stock at that point. Did this with each of 5 rollers. This gave me a even thickness to turn the stock down the rest of the way with the gouge. Using a flat knife I smoothed up the stock, then marked the rollers as I did before running the parting toll in about an inch. Run the speed up to about 1000 rpm and went over the stock with 80, 120 and finished up with 180 grit sanding belts. I use remanent of sanding belts as they last a lot longer than sandpaper. Stock is now ready to be cut into individual rollers.
I will work up 5 more rollers before I bore the holes for the axle.