20 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,923 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 01:42 PM

Getting tired of sitting inside reading so headed for the wood shop yesterday to start turning out a set of deck rollers.  I picked up a rough 3.5" square stick of White Oak about 8' long at the lumber yard.  Gave it to me as they get them between re-bar bundles.  I had about 1.5" bow in it but figured I could work around that.  Rollers I need are a tad over 4" long so cut the oak up in 24" pieces. 

Next step was to mark the center on both ends of each piece.  2 lines from corner to opposite corner and a awl taped in at the crossing point.  Then run a 1/8" drill in about 1/2" to help accept the live center and drive point on the wood lathe.  I used a 3/4" wood chisel to cut in the bite groves for the drive center.  This is done on one end only.

Put a sharp rip blade in the 10" table saw, set the blade at 45°.  I needed the rip fence set to leave 2/3 of the flat side of the stock. 
This just a bit under 2-3/8.  I run the stock through the saw taking off all four corners.  Set the Shopsmith up for wood lathe operation and oiled the lower shaft and the top speed control shaft seeing has it had not been used for some time.  The nice thing about a Shopsmith is one can dial up the speed they want without messing with any belts.

Once the stock was in the lathe I was ready to start getting the stock down to a round piece.  Had some vibration to start,  but after a few passes with the gouge it started to lessen.  Set the calipers to 3" and kept working it down, little at a time till I had a fairly uniform diameter the length of the stock.  Went down another 1/4" on the calipers and turned the stock down to 2 3/4.  I marked out the length of each roller, one at a time using the parting knife to separate each roller.  The parting knife was run in till I had a 2.5" diameter stock at that point.  Did this with each of 5 rollers.  This gave me a even thickness to turn the stock down the rest of the way with the gouge.  Using a flat knife I smoothed up the stock, then marked the rollers as I did before running the parting toll in about an inch.  Run the speed up to about 1000 rpm and went over the stock with 80, 120 and finished up with 180 grit sanding belts.  I use remanent of sanding belts as they last a lot longer than sandpaper.  Stock is now ready to be cut into individual rollers.

I will work up 5 more rollers before I bore the holes for the axle.

SAM_0491.JPG   SAM_0492.JPG   SAM_0495.JPG

SAM_0497.JPG    SAM_0498.JPG    SAM_0493.JPG

SAM_0494.JPG   SAM_0499.JPG   SAM_0500.JPG

SAM_0501.JPG    SAM_0502.JPG

• olcowhand, Alc, lyall and 12 others have said thanks

#2 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 817 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 01:54 PM

Holy smokes, that is great looking! 

• boyscout862, chieffan and logmillingman have said thanks

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 2,171 Thanks
  • 1,573 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 01:54 PM

looks like you have fun with your Shopsmith

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,261 Thanks
  • 10,108 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 02:15 PM

Looks like fun to me, nice job!

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,439 Thanks
  • 9,385 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 02:47 PM

Winter is for wood working. Nice work. I hope that you really enjoyed it. Good Luck, Rick

• lyall, chieffan and logmillingman have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,923 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 03:24 PM

looks like you have fun with your Shopsmith

Yes, I do.  This is the 510 model with a full complement of accessories.  Do not use it as a table saw unless I am doing a project that would require changing a saw several times.  Also have the big shop vac you can see the edge of in one pic.  Have the 6" jointer and a 10" band saw on a separate power station.  Also the scroll saw.  Good quality items made in the good old USA.

• Alc, lyall, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,123 Thanks
  • 46,764 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 03:35 PM

I had a Shopsmith at one time. No accessories though. Great saw though.

• lyall, boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

#8 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,171 Thanks
  • 1,573 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 04:22 PM

I also have a Shopsmith 510 with jointer, bandsaw, jig saw, plus mics. accessories and a old Shopsmith 10ER that I use as a drill press.

It is a great tool to have.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,923 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 04:46 PM

10ER is what I started with about 40 years ago.  Then bought a KING TOOLS brand copy of the Shopsmith.  Got the last one in DesMoines as Shopsmith won their copy suit against them.  Gave that to the one son when I picked up this 510 package.  Only thing about these is if you need a precise depth of cut, it is hard to get it just right as you raise and lower the table, not the blade.   If I run across another ER will try and grab it for a permanent drill press.  Take it off the stand to save room.

• lyall, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,720 Thanks
  • 7,973 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 05:34 PM

I was looking at a used Smith this fall, but guy's sister didn't like the deal we had made up  for it. Was their dads, she thought worth more than offer. I looked on ebay and offered about what was seeing on there for same thing. I DID buy an older one that says is a Mark 5, not the usual Mark V label like used. Contacted Shop Smith about it, said never was such a model. Seems to me to be same as the 500 models. NOW, you say was a copy?? Wonder if that is what I have?? But, says Shop Smith on labels too? Anyway, one of the supports on rails is broken, but found many on epay for cheap, or can still buy new for Much $.  It needs some cleaning up, might look at this summer, see if junk or what?  Has roller caster set, the motor has added switch and cord, does run, not quietest. I understand one of the spindle or shaft bearings is known to go bad, they have kits. Wonder if that is what I need?  It came with a scroll saw attach too, missing the top insert around blade, not sure if works or what. Have saw and disc sander items, lathe tools and trinkets. I wanted a jointer for one, and the other one I was dealing on had that with it. Think a bandsaw would be nice deal too. Tearing down to make each work is the worst part, and I was not aware they had seperate drive stands for each. Interesting.  Been thinking wood working again for awhile, get rid of this tractor junk, Move On!  Rollers look nice, but I would have to just go buy some new plastic ones myself and be done with it. I have an MTD deck that needs rollers, but also needs all support parts made for it also, the PO took it all off the deck. He had blades upside down too, guess couldn't get that low cut he wanted that way, Ha!  I have some rollers neighbor changed on his Simplicity, but have bigger 1" hole, not the 3/4". Guess I can make the rod and hardware for 1" just as easy as any other to fit them. Have whole bunch of them, plenty to work with.

• lyall, KennyP and logmillingman have said thanks

#11 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,171 Thanks
  • 1,573 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 06:32 PM

chieffan

there us a Shopsmith 10E on craigslist in Marshalltown for $75

https://desmoines.cr...6484855767.html

I could get it for you and hold it until you come and get it

• Alc, chieffan and logmillingman have said thanks

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,923 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 11:29 AM

gl, your right about several things.   Main thing is DO NOT turn that speed dial without the motor running, but you probably know that.  The bearings for the quill are standard and can be picked up locally.  They do make a power station for the accessories but kind of pricey.  Does have the advantage of variable speed.  You can use any of the tools on a home made stand put a motor on it and go.   I have my jointer, band saw and scroll saw set up that way.  Old washing machine motors are great for this as most are 2 speed.

The Shopsmith copy was labeled King on the plate where the Shopsmith label is.  Story I heard was that King Tolls bought a Shopsmith, sent it over Taiwan and had everything molded over there and sent back to the state to be sold as King.  Problem was that all the Shopsmith parts and accessories would fit right on the King.  So if yours has Shopsmith it on it, more than likely an original Shopsmith. 

The roller attachment is a kit that can be put on the 500 on up.  They have a lever on them to raise and lower the rollers as you want the roller up when ever using the tool.  I keep as the moving tube, rails, etc. waxed with Johnson's paste floor wax for hardwood floors.  Will keep things rust free for a couple years or until wore off. 

There are two places that NEED to be oiled also.  First, you need to turn the machine on and turn the speed dial up to high and turn it off. Pop that round cover off and turn the unit by had till the hole shows up on the stem from the belt pullet.  This lubes the speed control mechanism.  The other one is behind the back cover.  Remove the two screws and slide it off the motor,  You will see the spring on the shiv of that variable speed.  The oil hole is under the third coil of this spring.  Turn the unit by hand till this is visible.  Separate the coils with a flat screw drive and put a couple drops of oil in the hole. With everything back together put the sanding disc on and turn it slowly and at the same time turn the speed dial SLOWLY back toward the slow.  Be careful and don't put much pressure on the dial or the mechanism can be broke.  Will take several turn of the sanding disc.  Can sub a saw blade for the sanding disc.  Always turn the speed dial to slow before turning the machine off.

Been through several of these units.  Once you get into them not very complicated at all.  If you brake a drive belt, that is a whole new ball game.

• lyall, KennyP and logmillingman have said thanks

#13 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,171 Thanks
  • 1,573 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 11:41 AM

chieffan

I got my 510 from Shopsmith back in 86 new.  I do regular maintenance on it. 

My brother in law had a Shipsmith V and I learn about mainteance on it from him. And that is why I got a shopsmith.

• KennyP, chieffan and logmillingman have said thanks

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,923 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 04:44 PM

chieffan

I got my 510 from Shopsmith back in 86 new.  I do regular maintenance on it. 

My brother in law had a Shipsmith V and I learn about mainteance on it from him. And that is why I got a shopsmith.

You have the manuals then and that helps a bunch.  One things that makes a big difference in performance is to change the motor over to 220 V.   Lot easier on the motor, instantly up to speed and little draw down if working it hard.  Have to make the change inside the motor but not everybody has easy access to 220V.

Turned out the other 5 rollers this afternoon.  Have 10 now, only need 9 but one is about 1/8" short so if things get tight when putting it together I can slip that one in the mix and should be OK.  May start drilling them tomorrow.  Supposed to have a .790" bore so not sure what bit I will use for that yet. Will come up with one I bet.

Edited by chieffan, February 11, 2018 - 04:51 PM.

• logmillingman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#15 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,171 Thanks
  • 1,573 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 05:16 PM

1.png

13/16" should work