I paid $150 for this burnt out hulk, with a deck that needs ALOT of welding-- but was the only part of the haul not involved in the fire...
The deck is solid rust wise, but cracked right in front of the gearbox almost all the way to the left spindle (as it would be positioned as mounted on the tractor)
gas tank is melted, like a pancake, tires on right side melted to the cords, had 1 concrete/plastic Sears style weight on it, hood gone, steering wheel burnt down to the steel core, not a single shred of insulation left on any wire, no hood, it was totally burnt up, and of course the one thing that I bought the pile for in the 1st place, that 48" 2 stage snow blower.
Sandblast and powdercoating of the major parts of this blower, plus a plow blade for my son's Cub Original (blade itself only/ not the mount brackets) cost me $350. not sure how to divvy up how much of that $350 went to my blower and how much of it went to my son's plow blade) plus a tank of gas in my Dakota going and another tank coming back....and about 6 hours on the road........ . before I bought any parts for the blower itself. I couldn't bring myself to pay $375 for just a blower attachment that was peeling and rusted and needed to be rebuilt as well.... but if I could have found one in nice shape within that distance or less (I couldn't) I would have probably been money ahead..... there was a guy near Wausau a couple of weeks earlier that had one for what seemed a reasonable price but Wausau would be like twice as far for me. and a dealer(!) that had a blower in Tractor House magazine up near Rhinelander (WAY too far) for $200 that didn't look too bad but looking back I think that one might have been a single stage, cant remember now.
I have TOTALLY rebuilt the snow blower from ashes, took it apart and had the augers, impeller, housing, and chute sandblasted and powdercoated, though I painted some of the smaller pieces like the springs and the hanger brackets, myself, as I have a blasting cabinet here... if it were June I would have blasted and painted the whole works here, myself.... much cheaper, but not as durable as powdercoat and being as how I drug it home at the end of November I wanted a blower to use "this" winter, I didn't have time to do all of that, and still have it ready to run "this" season.
I destroyed the 10" pulley on the impeller shaft so I had to get a new one, pulled the gearbox apart and inspected the bearings within and replaced all the seals, replaced the bearings in the cast iron pulleys and at the back of the impeller, replaced the idler pulleys and the belts along with every single nut and bolt on the thing, I had my son take the skid shoes to work and weld on 3/8" X 1-1/4" bar stock and left them longer than the original ones.... and probably a few things that I am forgetting... oh I did the rubber flap mod on 3 of the 6 impeller vanes..... this thing will really throw the snow.... wow.
I plan to take the engine and trans from it and the front axle (at least the PTO shaft and related parts that pass thru the axle) and send the rest off to me made into (unfortunately) some foreign sardine can of a car...... might keep the running boards from it too, but that would be the extent of it.
I have a thread on the rebuild of the blower elsewhere under the Ariens tab here, ("snow blower attachment questions") I'll go back there with any more into on this setup, so as to "not" take any more away from the OP's thread...... and to keep all the into in one place on that project, even if only for my own personal reference