#16 runagun OFFLINE  

runagun
  • Member No: 88521
  • 40 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 02:40 AM

runagun,  :welcometogttalk:

You have WAY too much room in your garage! :poke:

I'm still hunting for more :)  If anyone has any to sell I'm interested.  

Got a close-up pic of the GT600?

I bought it without a hood. Only hood I could find was with a Ariens decal.

URL=http://s720.photobuc...b7qu7.jpg.html]20170930_205432_zpsnl2b7qu7.jpg[/URL]

20170930_205423_zpsj1rkfqmf.jpg

no snow blades or blowers that I see in the pix, yet under your name it says your location is IL.... weird.  

I have 3 Ariens and 1 NH plus most of another that is burnt up parts machine) but I have never seen a Grand Sierra other than pix.  what part of IL?

Northwest, By Rockford area. I haven't gotten a Blade yet. I've been looking.  But, I have plenty of blowers. 3-4 to be exact and a few Tillers.

20170930_205157_zpswek5ywag.jpg

Edited by runagun, February 11, 2018 - 02:48 AM.

• shorty, dodge trucker, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#17 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,917 Thanks
  • 3,537 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 09:08 AM

near Rockford.... I picked up my most recent one a little north of there,  (Juda WI)  Parts machine, had burnt in a barn fire. Bought the pile for the snow blower,  which I took 100% apart and put way too much money into, to rebuild it. I'm afraid to total it all up... 

The tractor is still on my trailer, once this snow goes away the Kohler 16hp is coming off and the rest is going for scrap.  K341s are way too hard to find and cost their weight in gold even if they don't run or are incomplete or blown-up, so this one isn't going anywhere.  

I have used both a plow and the blower connected to 2 different tractors in recent weeks,  so far the blower wins..... going out to get the blower out here later this morning. 

• runagun said thank you

#18 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,917 Thanks
  • 3,537 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 09:09 AM

never heard of a GT600 model. 

#19 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,922 Thanks
  • 5,453 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 12:09 PM

never heard of a GT600 model.

Same here. Gonna have to Google it and see what I find.

#20 runagun OFFLINE  

runagun
  • 40 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 02:41 PM

Haha, I know the feeling when I'm thinking of picking this guy (pic Below) up either for parts or to rebuilt.  Its going to need a new engine. Guy who had it took the engine off a running sound tractor (Ariens GS) to put into his zero turn.   I was so upset when he told me.  But for $125, shipping from NC will cost me $150. I'm not sure if I can resist.  I've come across more then a few k341 engine tractors.  I'll let you know if I spot anything.   

photo0_04_zpscbnkbntv.jpg

put way too much money into, to rebuild it. I'm afraid to total it all up..

• dodge trucker said thank you

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,917 Thanks
  • 3,537 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 05:23 PM

I  paid $150 for this burnt out hulk, with a deck that needs ALOT of welding-- but was  the only part of the haul not involved in the fire...

The deck is solid rust wise, but cracked right  in front of the gearbox almost all the way to the left spindle (as it would be positioned as mounted on the tractor) 

gas tank is melted, like a pancake,  tires on right side melted to the cords, had 1 concrete/plastic Sears style weight on it, hood gone, steering wheel burnt down to the steel core, not a single shred of insulation left on any wire,  no hood, it was totally burnt up, and of course the one thing that I bought the pile for in the 1st place, that 48" 2 stage snow blower. 

Sandblast and powdercoating of the major parts of this blower, plus a plow blade for my son's Cub Original (blade itself only/ not the mount brackets) cost me $350.  not sure how to divvy up how much of that $350 went to my blower and how much of it went to my son's plow blade)  plus a tank of gas in my Dakota going and another tank coming back....and about 6 hours on the road........ . before I bought any parts for the blower itself. I couldn't bring myself to pay $375 for just a blower attachment that was peeling and rusted and needed to be rebuilt as well.... but if I could have found one in nice shape within that distance or less (I couldn't)  I would have probably been money ahead..... there was a guy near Wausau a couple of weeks earlier that had one for what seemed a reasonable price but Wausau would be like twice as far for me. and a dealer(!) that had a blower in Tractor House magazine up near Rhinelander (WAY too far) for $200 that didn't look too bad but looking back I think that one might have been a single stage, cant remember now. 

I have TOTALLY rebuilt the snow blower from ashes, took it apart and had the augers, impeller, housing, and chute sandblasted and powdercoated,  though I painted some of the smaller pieces like the springs and the hanger brackets, myself, as I have a blasting cabinet here... if it were June I would have blasted and painted the whole works here, myself.... much cheaper, but not as durable as powdercoat and being as how I drug it home at the end of November I wanted a blower to use  "this" winter, I didn't have time to do all of that, and still have it ready to run "this" season. 

I destroyed the 10" pulley on the impeller shaft so I had to get a new one, pulled the gearbox apart and inspected the bearings within and replaced all the seals, replaced the bearings in the cast iron pulleys and at the back of the impeller, replaced the idler pulleys and the belts along with every single nut and bolt on the thing, I had my son take the skid shoes to work and weld on 3/8" X 1-1/4" bar stock and left them longer than the original ones.... and probably a few things that I am forgetting...   oh I did the rubber flap mod on 3 of the 6 impeller vanes..... this thing will really throw the snow.... wow. 

I plan to take the engine and trans from it and the front axle (at least the PTO shaft and related parts that pass thru the axle) and send the rest off to me made into (unfortunately) some foreign sardine can of a car...... might keep the running boards from it too, but that would be the extent of it. 

I have a thread on the rebuild of the blower elsewhere under the Ariens tab here,  ("snow blower attachment questions")  I'll go back there with any more into on this setup, so as to "not" take any more away from the OP's thread...... and to keep all the into in one place on that project, even if only for my own personal reference

• runagun said thank you

#22 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,922 Thanks
  • 5,453 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 05:28 PM

How about them tillers, 3pt or frame mount?

Edited by shorty, February 11, 2018 - 05:29 PM.

#23 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,917 Thanks
  • 3,537 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 05:58 PM

yeah, I was gonna ask that too// probably not a true necessity, but I'd like a tiller for one of mine too. and a rear 3 point mounted, rear PTO mounted leaf vac. 

So far, I like the blower much better than the plow blade. Let's see here, jury's still out though. I thought the blade might be better than the blower on my gravel drive. but it hasn't turned out that way so far at least.... If I get the driveway blacktopped this year, like I have wanted to the last few years (I thought it was gonna happen this past fall but the guy I wanted to have do the job stood me up)  I will almost certainly not have use for a blade any more.... I thought the blade would be nice to clean up the corners where I cant get with the blower and to go out and hit the end of my driveways (2) when the rest of the driveway is clean/ but the road plow screws up the end of my drives/ but so far the blower is proving better there as well..... though I haven't had any real "hard pack" snow to mess with as of yet. the blade might be better there than the blower. The KT19 is holding its own so far and being that is my 1st ever tractor with power steering that will be the keeper if I wind up having to do a Grumpy and get rid of most of my stuff..... though being that the opposed twins are even harder to find than the K341s, if this KT19 goes to pot, I will probably put a Kohler single in its place. 

I had some money squirreled away for that driveway job but since I got stood up I have spent some of what I had saved up, am slowly working on building that envelope back up, since I hate throwing rocks when clearing the driveway (even though I have the skid shoes set "up", on both the blower and the blade)  

#24 runagun OFFLINE  

runagun
  • 40 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 03:17 AM

Both are 3pt.  One, I bought new a long while ago. The other was picked up in Florida with the GT600.  Never used the frame mount version.  On a side note, Last year I had to replace the tines on the first Tiller.  And just the tines cost me around $600-$700.

How about them tillers, 3pt or frame mount?

• shorty said thank you

#25 runagun OFFLINE  

runagun
  • 40 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 03:39 AM

Wow Dodge, that truly a feat. I'm pretty handy but your a true wizard.  Knock on wood, I use Amsoil Fuilds in all my tractors and I have't experience any Mechanical issues so far.  But one GS has a power steering leak. This coming spring I was planning on getting to it.   Hopefully the KT19 Last a while longer.  It hasn't come for me to replace a engine yet. But when that hunk of chunk arrives from North Carolina the party begins :)

If you're ever driving by my parts again let me know. Stop by and I'll show you the Grand Sierras.  

On a side note. In the summer I do sometimes attend the Kankakee fair grounds for the animal flea market-To Buy me some Chickens :)

• dodge trucker said thank you

#26 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,917 Thanks
  • 3,537 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 09:34 AM

no,  no wizard here, just get lucky sometimes.... 

that fairgrounds is about 6mi from me, drive past it at least 2x a day when I gotta go to work.... been to that flea market a couple of times, usually it starts way before I am outta bed...I don't get up at 4am often on my days off,

lots of other things there than animals, the times that I have been there.... last time out there someone had a Cub184 (late model Low Boy) for sale, as I remember it was a decent price too.... 

#27 runagun OFFLINE  

runagun
  • 40 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 01:20 AM

Took them out to play.  Drove to Ohio to buy me a plow and cab the other day.  :/  Haven't installed the cab yet.

20180223_112054_zpsczh7voxm.jpg

• KennyP, shorty and Milkbottle have said thanks

#28 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,922 Thanks
  • 5,453 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 07:11 AM

Awesome pic! Ready for anything nature gives.
  • runagun said thank you

#29 runagun OFFLINE  

runagun
  • 40 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted March 16, 2018 - 04:51 AM

So a few weeks ago. I drove down to Alma Ar-Kansas :)  to pick up a pile of doo doo that hasnt started in roughly 7-8 years.  But good news is we got the sucker to start and run.  The previous owners did what I would say was a custerfuc* with the wiring. Not knowing that they had a bad relay they rewired the engine to bypass all the safety mechanisms the tractor had.  Tractor runs, Hydraulics work, its stuck in front and wont switch to the rear (hopefully a hammer should do the trick). Pto clucthes dont work.  Haven't figure if its a electrical issue or mechanical yet.    But all in all Keeps me busy Till my next get. :)   Oh Btw, anyone know where I can get hoods for these things?  

20180302_103032_zpsbpgl0wae.jpg

20180302_103013_zpsisl6l0yy.jpg

Edited by runagun, March 16, 2018 - 04:53 AM.

#30 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,917 Thanks
  • 3,537 posts

Posted March 16, 2018 - 06:10 AM

I have a couple of hoods for those and am in IL too....  

and have rewired 2 of those now to eliminate all the relays and safety stuff,  but I started from scratch on both, using a '73 power king schematic as my guide....   before I did this, WHEN I could get my GT19 to start, (or even crank, most of the time) as soon as I touched either PTO it would pop the fuse, and when I tried to replace the fuse it would blow as soon as I touched the terminals to the fuse holder, let alone actually push the fuse into it... still running the same PTO's working fine with new wiring.... all soldered and heat shrink sealed splices.... 

Edited by dodge trucker, March 16, 2018 - 06:14 AM.

• KennyP and runagun have said thanks