• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,482 Thanks
  • 4,736 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 07:28 PM

Not me either...Dad had a push mower and I'll be damn if I want to operate one of those again for the entire yard!!

• hamman, KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#32 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,905 Thanks
  • 3,525 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 11:32 PM

when I was growing up nearly everything in and around my house came from Sears.  weird being that my Grandpa was a Monkey Wards guy. We seemed to alternate between Sears and K Mart push mowers though. Dad bought a (way too big for his yard) Sears tractor after my brothers and me were moved out. I still went and push mowed most of the time after I was married and moved out. Still do. Dad's been dead 20 years now as of tomorrow.... Mom still lives in the same house that my brothers sister and me were raised in. The only riding mowers we had while I lived there were ones that were dropped off while I was a teenager, for me to fix for others, or given to me because they were "shot"... (most weren't) and the past owners gave up on them.   

That tractor that Dad bought, he bought the snow blade for it but it never got taken out of the box. My older brother's  in-laws bought that tractor after the old man died,  my guess would be that Mom probably just about gave it away, never did ask... but there was no way that she was gonna run anything like that,  she only ever drove a car because/ when she absolutely had to, never really liked doing that. 

I had a lot of Sears stuff-- yeah partly based on the fact that my parents bought mostly Sears stuff but also because I wound up working for Sears for 13 years of my life as well.....  but once I parted ways with them (not my choice or on my terms) in 2001 I haven't spent a penny in a Sears store. so ever since I have had some of the machines thru here that I wish I could have talked my Dad into back then, and a few strays that just happened to come up as available when they did.....  

when it comes to cars and trucks, I did stay with want my parents "mostly" bought, though they did have a few others mixed in along the way...lots of Plymouth wagons// mostly the big 9 seaters, over the years.....  a couple of Olds, a 70 caddy, a Ford p/u and an International Travelall  at one point but mostly Dodges and Plymouths.... and all were well worn when we came upon them.....  but still got a lot of years and miles out of each before sending them down the road... Dad had had a few GM's over the years but never ever a Chevy. so far me either, for some reason....  I have yet to buy something besides a Dodge or Jeep, not sure how long I can keep that up....   most recently 2 years ago when I wrecked my 93 Dakota I replaced it with a 92,  that we still have, and most recently a '96 4WD Dakota a year ago.... newest by model year in current fleet  is my 97 Wrangler which mostly sees winter duty the last couple years.... also my longest-owned vehicle at 18 years and counting, hoping to get 20 years from it..... 

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#33 runagun OFFLINE  

runagun
  • Member No: 88521
  • 40 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:10 AM

Ariens, had my first Gt20 when I was 16. Caught the garden tractor bug and added 3 Grand Sierras this past year.
  • hamman, LilysDad and dodge trucker have said thanks

#34 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,905 Thanks
  • 3,525 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 09:53 AM

Ariens, had my first Gt20 when I was 16. Caught the garden tractor bug and added 3 Grand Sierras this past year.

yeah, outdoor power equipment wise Ariens is what I currently have as well..... an S16H, a GT19, a NH S14,  plus a Cub 129 and a Woods 1250 ZTR. 

• hamman said thank you

#35 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,983 Thanks
  • 3,026 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 10:19 AM

Good Question!  and possibly hard to answer!

Granddaddy was the first in our family to start purchasing motorized farm equipment, but he was late to the party.  My father was the youngest of 3 boys, born in 1934,  and they used mules quite a bit when the boys were young.  Granddaddy bought a new Ford Jubilee model in 1953, about the time my father was headed off to college.  Around that time, possibly before then, he purchased a Gravely with the sawblade/brush cutter attachment.  I discovered that Dad ended up with the Gravely after Granddaddy passed away, and I certainly remember him cutting grass, plowing a garden, and using the cultivator when I was a wee lad in the 60's.  

When we started our little farming adventure in the early 70's Dad traded in that first Gravely for a rebuilt one.  He plowed our first land with it.  I remember snakes erupting from some bushes as the Gravely chewed its way through the scrub of our first field.  Using the cultivator tool bar to lay in rows of corn, and being used as live weight to hold down the nose of the tractor.

But Dad had bigger plans than that Gravely could shoulder, so after some research he purchased our first real tractor - an Argentine built Massey 155.  And all the same reasons of parts availability and service that caused him to start with the Massey kept us with the Massey line, after a brief unhappy time with an International Harvester 444.

My favorite tractors today?  Gravely of course, with the gear drives, the "big power in a small package" feeling, the plenitude of attachments for different jobs, and the simple, overbuilt structure that takes every thing you throw at it and keeps on chugging.

And, to my astonishment, after years of scorning "belt drives" I own and love my MF garden tractors - primarily because it always takes me back to the 70s, when I was little, and all was right with my world, but also because the MF's are good pieces of machinery that get the job done.

post-4243-0-41104300-1380414801.jpg GE Snow 005.JPG

• DMAX, limebuzz, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#36 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

Addicted

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 469 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 10:28 AM

It’s Massey Ferguson for me. My great grandfather had Ferguson’s then my Grandpap went to Massey Ferguson’s and my Dad still has Massey’s. Now it’s me with the same brand. I’d say if they would of had a different brand then I would be wearing a different color hat! Almost the same as the truck brand I own, same as them. I do have one Allis amongst the Massey’s. I appreciate any older tractor, it’s neat to see the different designs of them.
  • hamman, LilysDad, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#37 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 164 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 06:27 PM

Dad never had or needed a tractor. When my latest whatever leftover mower in December chewed itself up, I hit Craigslist and found a lt advertised for $400. Went over to see it and there was also a Craftsman lt. The Sears was cheaper so I bought it. Lawn duty went from 5-6 hours to less than 2 hours, and I added the plow for the driveway. I will probably stick with Sears if they stay in business. They sell a lot of units, so there are many used tractors and attachments available.
  • hamman and LilysDad have said thanks

#38 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 4,340 Thanks
  • 2,702 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 07:42 PM

My dad never had a "garden tractor", never needed one with this around:  2845.jpg

May be why I've had loads like this:  TRACTOR SHOWS 2009 103 - Copy.jpg

• hamman, LilysDad, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#39 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 679 Thanks
  • 481 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 07:52 PM

My dad never had a "garden tractor", never needed one with this around:  attachicon.gif2845.jpg

May be why I've had loads like this:  attachicon.gifTRACTOR SHOWS 2009 103 - Copy.jpg

My dad worked on a dairy farm when I was younger, only had three JD tractors, a later styled A, a 620 and a 630. Like you those old two poppers started my JD addiction.

Deere herd.jpg

Edited by Leonard VanCamp, February 11, 2018 - 08:00 PM.

• grnspot110, hamman, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#40 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 459 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 11:22 PM

When I was a kid, Dad had a toro self-propelled mower, his father had whatever was cheap, but ended up having some nice old Toro Whirlwinds. As I got older 11-15 we started collecting 21" Snapper Hi-Vac mowers, finding them at yard sales, in the trash, or as dealer rejects. We then moved to a place with three acres and needed something bigger. I wanted a small farm tractor. Dad bought a new Craftsman GT because he bought lots of stuff at Sears. A few months later I bought an Allis-Chalmers Homesteader 8 from one of my instructors for I think $100.  From that point on the GT collection was started. I have had most brands but never any Cubs or Cases. I stick to Allis, Simplicity, Sears, Wards, and Massey. Mostly AC. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5989.jpg

• hamman, LilysDad, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#41 old coot OFFLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 136 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 05:15 AM

my dad was craftsman all the way...there were some good ones and then some bad...myself I've had wheel horse then john deere with my most recent purchase(4 years ago ) of an 1886 bolens for my work horse

• hamman, LilysDad, Leonard VanCamp and 2 others have said thanks

#42 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,988 Thanks
  • 2,540 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 08:57 AM

The only thing my ol' man had a hard one for was a '49 Merc. A life long automatic transmission mechanic, and he was as un-brand-loyal as any person I've ever met. As long as it worked, he would drive it, mow with it, shoot it. But there were two things he hated with a passion: mowing grass and diesels. Both of which I love.  :rolling:  

I guess I get some of the un-loyalness form him though. I've driven Olds, Chevys, Fords, Jeeps, Chryslers, Hondas, and Mazdas. I've mowed with Craftsmans, Cubs, Kubotas, Deeres, Masseys and Toros. I've shot Remingtons, Winchesters, Savages, Springfields, Rugers, Brownings, Ithacas, and many more.

I did get my taste for cold beer and good bourbon from thim thought.  :thumbs:

#43 Deerefarmer41 OFFLINE  

Deerefarmer41
  • Member No: 10761
  • 113 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 01:50 PM

Have always been a John Deere person. Still have the 70 and 4020, that I bought new. The 70 is getting tired, like me!
Have JD, Toro, and Dixon garden tractors.
  • Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#44 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 43,149 Thanks
  • 32,006 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 01:58 PM

Dad never owned a bought garden tractor, just his home built one with Wisconsin, model a trans and rear end, so no brand affiliation there.  Farm tractor has always been Massey Ferguson, along with one I6 Farmall, and Papaw's Minneapolis Avery model. 

• limebuzz, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#45 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,466 Thanks
  • 47,395 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 02:39 PM

Dad never owned a bought garden tractor, just his home built one with Wisconsin, model a trans and rear end, so no brand affiliation there.  Farm tractor has always been Massey Ferguson, along with one I6 Farmall, and Papaw's Minneapolis Avery model. 

But you are a bit BH oriented!