#1 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,326 Thanks
  • 9,790 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 07:44 AM

How many of you like your brand of tractor because that's what your Dad liked?

• DMAX, hamman, EricFromPa and 4 others have said thanks

#2 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 684 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 07:57 AM

Not me, dad had a tube frame Bolens, then a Bolens Suburban, and then a box store Cub Cadet, I prefer John Deere, Kubota and Wheel Horse.

• hamman, boyscout862, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,758 Thanks
  • 1,666 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 08:02 AM

My dad was a caretaker at a plaza....They had a MF35 and a National Mower to cut grass. I found a National when I moved to this 1 1/2 acres, but they need real smooth golf course like lawn to work well.

I am into the Ford LGTs, only because I practically had one given to me a few years ago. They are a good solid machine. 

Thing is, many of the older 70s tractors are basically the same, using similar engines and drive trains, so one brand as opposed to another in that era is pretty much a moot point. 

Edited by poncho62, February 09, 2018 - 09:18 AM.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,443 Thanks
  • 45,960 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 08:03 AM

Me neither! Dad had a walk behind, can't remember what brand. Had a 10 horse (B&S, I think). We would borrow the engine for a go-cart at times. That sucker would run 40 MPH, quite fast back then.

• hamman, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#5 Vrdaddy OFFLINE  

Vrdaddy
  • Member No: 86662
  • 73 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 08:13 AM

Dad bought a 1971 MTD Wizard new in 71 , that sucker did alot of work on the farm. When it decided to develop a problem in the late 80's he kind of gave up on the old girl,so i went out to find something to do the mowing and found a 1970 wheelhorse with a 8hp. Tecumseh. mom and me used that ALOT, she nicknamed her "old bessy" i still have her today along with the Wizard,since both mom and dad passed away. some things are just too sentimental to part with.

• hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,864 Thanks
  • 9,176 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 08:27 AM

My father had a Ford 800 for work and SONS for work and yard work. I had to push an old Sears(with a cast deck) for many years. The punishment for hitting a rock or a stick made sure that nothing happened to it. Manual spring tooth rakes were used each spring and fall to clean the lawn.

My favorite GTs are Bolens Large Frames. My favorite for mowing are my AC B-10 series. My favorite for snow plowing are Wheelhorse. My favorite for general purpose are Ford/Jacobsen and Simplicity. My favorite odd ball are Magna Trac. The one I use most, latey, is my Case 222 because it starts easy. Good Luck, Rick
  • hamman, LilysDad, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 326 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 09:08 AM

My dad had a 65 cc 100 that I will be getting back in the family soon, My brother had the Bolens that I acquired after he passed (and now I have 14).

• hamman, LilysDad and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,326 Thanks
  • 9,790 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 09:14 AM

For myself, my Dad never had a GT and I don't know what brand Grandpa used on the farm (wish I did). I had good experiences with Wheel Horse at work.

• hamman and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#9 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 09:24 AM

My dad was a caretaker at a plaza....They had a MF35 and a National Mower to cut grass. I found a National when I moved to this 1 1/2 acres, but they need real smooth golf course like lawn to work well.

I am into the Ford LGTs, only because I practically had one given to me a few years ago. They are a good solid machine. 

Thing is, many of the older 70s tractors are basically the same, using similar engines and drive trains, so one brand as opposed to another in that era is pretty much a moot point. 

I beg to differ on that, although many have the same engines and such, there is a big difference in brands, the way the machine runs an attachment and what type of attachments are available. 

I had a 73 simplicity that turned like a pig, but my 73 Roper turns on a dime and will leave a nickle change. The simplicity also had an awkward belt drive to the snow blower while roper or sears has a straight run belt to the blower. These are not moot differences in my book to me they mean a lot. 

• hamman and LilysDad have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,187 Thanks
  • 6,653 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 10:15 AM

I prefer red as that is what I grew up with.  Now it is Bolens or the larger Cub Cadets.  Mainly because I have had  the green ones and a few of the box store MTD junk. MTD was always breaking down and parts, even belt for the green one were outrageous.  Still trying to buy a red tractor if I can talk the guy into selling it.  It is dead in the water and parked outside by a repair shop.  Just have to catch him at the right time.

• hamman, boyscout862 and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,436 Thanks
  • 2,860 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 10:51 AM

dadstractorontheweb1.PNG

Yup, this was dad's tractor when we sold them back in the 70s. We have three right now. working on acquiring another one from the area where we sold them. Quite possibly one he sold way back then. Also going to be picking up a Homelite garden cart from a member here soon. The one reason dad took on this line was because of the way they were built. He also liked the Blue and white color. I would have a whole stable of them if I could. My original goal was to have one of every size in the GT line of Homelites. Lofty goal and will most likely never make it for sure. Thanks for asking the question the answers are great to read.

Roger

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#12 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 1,035 Thanks
  • 769 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 11:05 AM

dad didn't have a riding mower, he bought (1) 3 1/2 hp push mower from kmart , back in the early 70s. no self propelled, not even a grass catcher.i was the one to mow yard, and it was big!. had to mow then rake.took all day. he said it would keep me out of trouble, thng was we lived out in the sticks, nearest friend was 4 miles and I had to walk.dad was an ass lol.

• hamman, boyscout862, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#13 Kster526 OFFLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 845 Thanks
  • 560 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 11:11 AM

I would have to say I am, it’s what we were raised on .
When Pop started collecting we both sold our Streetrods and went right to
the green. It also helps that everywhere I’ve worked it’s what we had and what I operated
. Great topic enjoyed seeing everyone’s comments. Thank you
  • hamman, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#14 SimplyRad ONLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,108 Thanks
  • 843 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 11:20 AM

My dad never had a GT as he died when I was barely a teenager. Only thing we had for the garden was KY high wheeler. But I had borrowed my landlords Simplicity to mow the yard one time and liked so in 1968 I bought a new Simplicity with a few attachments. It went when the wife and I split so when I need something when I was having a house built I found 1972 3410 with mower and tiller. I have just about run it to death. I have gotten a couple more in the last couple years.

DSC_0125.JPG

• DH1, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#15 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,678 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 11:27 AM

No- Dad bought a Murray for me to use when I was in HS , I found that I loved the aesthetics of the David Bradleys much later in life so I have fun with them .

S5001386.jpg

• hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks