7 replies to this topic

#1 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 10:47 PM

I did a repower earler this year with a Subaru 25 hp this thing is a beast now, but my problem is in the fan shroud, this motor has a fixed screen unlike the onan which rotated with the engine, it has a tendency to plug up easier that the onan did. Would it be a good idea to replace the fixed with a rotating one or maybe a brush that rotates with the engine to keep it clean. With all the pony's under the hood it heats up allot more that the onan did .

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_0287.jpg
  • 101_0288.jpg
  • eh72vtwin.jpg

#2 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:00 PM

nice

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 11:09 PM

Nice, I think a brush screen wiper would be great, but remember, turning at 3600 rpm could be dangerous! Most of the wiper type run at lower speed. good luck ! Shawn

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:16 AM

Possibly build a large screened box that can sit against the shroud with foam seal??

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:32 AM

I have the Honda 20HP in mine and it has a fixed screen as well.What I'll do is say every now and then take a quick look at it and see if its covered with mostly Dandelion fluff.I'll shut it off and I have a small brush.I use a brush from a car windshield that I cut the end off,its small and narrow and you can make the handle as long as you want.I just brush the fluff off every now and then.Other then that as long as there's no Dandelions it very seldom gets any grass etc building up on it.Larry

#6 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:53 PM

The fan box sounds like an idea or at least screen in from the bottom I know I am going to change the mower into a rear discharge maybe sending the clippings out back between the tires will help??

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 08:09 AM

Nice repower! Where did you get the Subaru engine? I see Princess Auto is selling them now. Should be a good quality engine. Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru's parent company, makes engines for many other companies including Polaris for some of their ATV's. If the heat issue gets too extreme you may need to look at providing a 12v electric fan to help cool the hood area. Perhaps you could mount some sort of a heat gauge to let you know it it is overheating.

#8 kubotakid OFFLINE  

kubotakid

• Member No: 2383
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 10:38 PM

I did a repower earler this year with a Subaru 25 hp this thing is a beast now, but my problem is in the fan shroud, this motor has a fixed screen unlike the onan which rotated with the engine, it has a tendency to plug up easier that the onan did. Would it be a good idea to replace the fixed with a rotating one or maybe a brush that rotates with the engine to keep it clean. With all the pony's under the hood it heats up allot more that the onan did .

I think your better off adapting a rotating screen, I love the slide out screen my kubota has for the radiator,..I think you could fab up a horse shoe one for the air intake on the subaru as an added saftey measure, I duno