5 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 09:49 PM

Looked at a couple 4 wd drive compacts Firday on the way home from work.
One A JD 5420 N(is that compact?)(He said it was a vinyard tractor from california) and the other was a NH model escapes me.
Both showed erratic wear on the front ags both to the right front wheel wore right down to the threads. What would cause this, and is it an indication of a mechanical problem?

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 03, 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Lots of road time is a possible culprit. Often, the ratios are just a little off front to back, not much harm on dirt, but on pavement something would wear faster. This would get worse as the wear increased, especially if the back tires were changed without refreshing the fronts too. We all know 2 different brands aren't the same "size" so if the rears or fronts got changed, the aftermarket tires would toss off the ratios even more.

#3 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:16 AM

ag tires are made to run straight when put on the front of a front wheel assist tractor and being turned alot there going to wear . they aren't designed for turning and most front wheel assist's i have been around when they are turned as hard as they can the wheels lean over to help it turn . my buddy has 120 head of cattle and his tractor runs up and down the road alot feeding , fixing fence and so on and he go's through a set of front tire every year . the rear tires are the original tires

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:32 AM

Don't forget the size ratio between them... The fronts turn, what 3 to 5 times more often than the rears due to the huge size difference.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 08:10 AM

That all makes sense. I have never been around a 4wd tractor, and had no idea.
Since my place is one big hill All Wheel Drive would be an asset, but will have to consider the trade off if it would need tires every year.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 10:37 AM

I would be wary of tractors with the fronts worn like that. Running in 4WD on pavement is the likely cause. This puts a lot of stress on the front drive components and can cause premature failure. The manual for my 2320 warns against using 4wd on pavement.