22 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 1,495 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 11:45 PM

https://www.oodmag.c...r-restrictions/

I can't bring a knife like that back from Minnesota, yet I can waltz into the local crappy tire and buy them?

thats backwards. Every pocket knife I've ever seen has an opening system just like what can't be brought across the border.image.jpeg image.jpeg

That's the knife that I bought in Canadian tire that the article is referring to and the second picture is the "offending" part.

Edited by Greasy6020, February 07, 2018 - 11:52 PM.

• Cvans, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,483 Thanks
  • 5,093 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 12:13 AM

Really makes you wonder, doesn't it?  I guess they can be imported in bulk from China, the U.S. or Timbucktu  and sold here for a profit, but a person can't buy one elsewhere and bring it individually across the border.  As usual, the $$ and who makes them determine what is or is not legal.  

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#3 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 1,495 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 12:55 AM

Yep. The Americans seem to have all kinds fun things we can't get here... Firecrackers come to mind.

#4 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,674 Thanks
  • 1,548 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 01:15 AM

Thumb stud seems quite common in any store. Guess it depends on customs officer.
Our knife laws were made to follow suit of laws made in USA many years ago. Seems folks of poor character all had switchblades ( according to the movies) which is why govt made auto knives illegal. It really is stupid since you can carry a fixed blade knife which is much more durable than folding knives.

Edited by Jazz, February 08, 2018 - 01:50 AM.

• boyscout862, propane1 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#5 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,153 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 02:42 AM

I can't bring a knife like that back from Minnesota, yet I can waltz into the local crappy tire and buy them?

thats backwards. Every pocket knife I've ever seen has an opening system just like what can't be brought across the border.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's the knife that I bought in Canadian tire that the article is referring to and the second picture is the "offending" part.

That thing dosn't look like it has enough blade to qualify as a knife. When I flew to Alaska I had a 5" sheath knife on my belt, it wasn't a problem. The next time I flew to Alaska in 91 they were a little suspicious of my folding Buck Knife, but again no problem. If I showed up at the air port with either one today they would have me on the ground, on my face putting the cuffs on. Things change all the time.  Don

• boyscout862 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,153 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 02:48 AM

Are the Outbound knives import or manufactured in Canada?  Don

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,846 Thanks
  • 6,342 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 06:04 AM

The stud makes it illegal?

I usually buy "assisted opening" knives. Only was hassled once and that was at Pittsburgh hospital. I had to take it back to my car before they would let me in. I used to never be without a knife. I rarely throw one in my pocket these days.

I thought in the US it had to do with blade length.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,811 Thanks
  • 3,440 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 07:04 AM

Yep. The Americans seem to have all kinds fun things we can't get here... Firecrackers come to mind.

in some parts of US..... here where I am at cant get fireworks much more potent than sparklers.... surrounding states all have "better" stuff available. and legally there as well.....unlike here. 

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,102 Thanks
  • 10,172 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 07:51 AM

Every state is different. Some states allow 'switchblades, butterfly knives, etc.' some don't. Check the internet for your local laws.

It may have something to do with import tariffs. If you can buy it locally, your not out much.

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,545 Thanks
  • 9,425 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 08:31 AM

That thing dosn't look like it has enough blade to qualify as a knife. When I flew to Alaska I had a 5" sheath knife on my belt, it wasn't a problem. The next time I flew to Alaska in 91 they were a little suspicious of my folding Buck Knife, but again no problem. If I showed up at the air port with either one today they would have me on the ground, on my face putting the cuffs on. Things change all the time.  Don

But not for the better. It is the mindset that the tool is to blame. My father taught me that a man allways carries a knife. Nothing big, just a 3 1/4" which is legal most places in the US(the VA is only 3"). In CT my Army survival knife with a 5" blade is illegal to carry. I had to buy a 3" sheath knife to carry it on scout camping trips.Good Luck, Rick
  • Greasy6020 and secondtry have said thanks

#11 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 1,495 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 08:59 AM

That thing dosn't look like it has enough blade to qualify as a knife. When I flew to Alaska I had a 5" sheath knife on my belt, it wasn't a problem. The next time I flew to Alaska in 91 they were a little suspicious of my folding Buck Knife, but again no problem. If I showed up at the air port with either one today they would have me on the ground, on my face putting the cuffs on. Things change all the time. Don

It's got near 3" to the blade so it's not exactly little
  • Jazz and secondtry have said thanks

#12 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 1,495 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 09:01 AM

The stud makes it illegal?

I usually buy "assisted opening" knives. Only was hassled once and that was at Pittsburgh hospital. I had to take it back to my car before they would let me in. I used to never be without a knife. I rarely throw one in my pocket these days.

I might have neglected to say I live in Canada.
  • Jazz said thank you

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 4,624 Thanks
  • 2,607 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 09:34 AM

It could be worse, I know some people who are (Holdeman Mennonite) (like a looser version of Amish) who bought a new used car, they drove it to Canada to a funeral and when they got to the Canada boarder they got their car searched. The reason why it was searched is because there have been people dressing as Mennonites and they have been smuggling stuff into Canada. So when searching the car they found a "case" wedged between the drivers seat and the center console. Inside the case was a hand gun and then they arrested both people. They spent a day and night in jail. I don't know what all they have to do now.

I guess the gun was in rough shape, rusty and terribly dirty. The two people driving the car said they've never seen it before in their life.

#14 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,348 Thanks
  • 1,502 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 10:14 AM

Okay, a little clarification is in order.  What make the knife barred from being imported is the little knob on the blade without a locking mechanism on the handle.  The knife you showed has a handle lock and a knob.  The goal is to keep out knives that can be flicked out using your thumb alone.

1.jpg 2.jpeg

• Alc, toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#15 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,674 Thanks
  • 1,548 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 02:08 PM

I might have neglected to say I live in Canada.

You also failed to mention our lawmakers are on glue. :D   See if you can find a Kershaw Burst.( only $20 USD) Excellent blade, a serrated one is what I pocket and sharp,,amazing I still have all my fingers.  

Edited by Jazz, February 08, 2018 - 02:08 PM.