35 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,346 Thanks
  • 7,106 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 08:11 PM

Went to open the tail gate on the truck this morning and when I lifted on the handle it resisted.  So I pulled a little harder and  "POP" it was free.  But the tail gate was latched.  I run up the road a few miles to a body shop to have it looked at.  6° F out and didn't want to mess with it.  Lift handle broke and has to be replaced.  A bit later the owner comes out and tells me the part is $194.00.  I siad no way.  Lets try to find a used one first.  Said he would.

About 3 hours later after I got my running done I got on the internet and found several for a 04 Avalanche.  Parts fits several model of GMC and Chevy trucks for several years.  Couple parts stores wanted around $70 for the after market part.  Ordered an after market for $13.95 to my door off the internet.  New with warranty.  No big deal to install it so will do it myself.  Body shop was going to get the OEM part for around $120retail,  the rest was their mark up plus .3 hour labor to install it at $80/hr.  

I don't mind paying for parts and labor to have them installed as long as it seems a fair price both ways.  When they try to rip me off I have a tendency to back way off and go a different direction.

Edited by chieffan, February 06, 2018 - 08:12 PM.

• Gtractor, hamman, lyall and 6 others have said thanks

#2 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,264 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 08:17 PM

I have not had much luck with the "Rock Auto" type door handles for inside or out. I did the same thing a few weeks ago trying to open the back cab door. I dont plan on fixing it since there is another one 6" away that does the same thing and isnt much harder to get to.

• hamman, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 2,113 Thanks
  • 1,780 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 08:43 PM

My inside door handle broke, replaced it with the Dorman brand, been good for 2 years so far

• hamman, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#4 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,592 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 08:44 PM

I'm forced to do a lot of that too, Chieffan. The 500-1000% markup that locals do on a lot of parts just can't be tolerated. Never got a defective part yet. There's probably been 5 or 6 things I've had to replace or fix on my wife's '06 GMC Denali and the only thing I got locally was a new windshield washer bottle. Same price from o'wrongley's as Gtractor puts it as I could get on ebay stores. I got a driver's side window regulator for about 40 bucks shipped and locally was over 200 and up. I wish I could afford to always buy locally but it's just not realistic!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, February 06, 2018 - 08:46 PM.

• Gtractor, hamman, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 3,548 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 09:31 PM

I try my best to patronize the local shops but anymore their prices are ridiculous. I recently in the past year been shopping at Rock Auto. I needed to replace a relay a few days ago. $12.33 at the local parts. All three would have been $37.plus tax. RA had all three same parts $21. Including shipping in two days.
  • hamman, KennyP, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,552 Thanks
  • 9,427 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 10:10 PM

A new fuel pump for my son's Taurus is $282 from local but it will take a week to get. $20 from Rock Auto and will take a week too.

A lot of the local prices aren't that bad but you do need to check around. One part from NAPA was $90 plus $25 for a special alignment tool. I checked with Advance and it was $42 including the tool. Good Luck, Rick
  • Gtractor, hamman, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#7 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 5,094 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 11:00 PM

One thing I notice about 1998 and up GM pickups as I drive around....

EVERY ONE has a DRL out [almost always the left one] and EVERY ONE has a broken tailgate handle.

#8 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 4,634 Thanks
  • 2,609 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 12:17 AM

A friend bought a new handle for his chevy van, took a couple hours to get the door apart and to finally get it installed. He put the door back together, pulled the new handle one time and it broke. That was the last time he bought a cheap part off line.

Hope you have good luck with yours

• hamman, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 karel ONLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 1,493 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 05:03 AM

How could you have a hard time with rock auto? I Never have!  They offer three or for major maker brands plus crap value brands also. You want top? they sell it. you want Economy,= Crap, They have that to. And the Parts, plus the shipping is still cheaper than if you bought the parts at Geto Zone or any of those other Rip Off china crap parts pushers. And its Always in stock!

Edited by karel, February 07, 2018 - 05:05 AM.

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,464 Thanks
  • 4,722 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 05:07 AM

One thing I notice about 1998 and up GM pickups as I drive around....

EVERY ONE has a DRL out [almost always the left one] and EVERY ONE has a broken tailgate handle.

My 2003mZ-71 has always been hard on driving lights and tail/brake lights.

I bet I have replaced each one of them 10 times!

I also have replaced a door handle and the tail gate handle. There are also a couple of plastic clips on the tail gate handle that hold the rods in place ( like on some Kohler engine carb linkage) that break often. GM dealer told me they sell 5 times as many for 1 side of the handle compared to the other side. Sounds like a design flaw!

• Gtractor, hamman, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#11 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,833 Thanks
  • 5,414 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 05:09 AM

One thing I notice about 1998 and up GM pickups as I drive around....

EVERY ONE has a DRL out [almost always the left one] and EVERY ONE has a broken tailgate handle.

The crew truck I drive has been missing for years. Got a factory replacement and it lasted a grand total of 4 days. I can reach in and grab the latch linkage for the aggravation of putting in a new latch often.

#12 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 2,113 Thanks
  • 1,780 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 06:17 AM

GM dealer told me they sell 5 times as many for 1 side of the handle compared to the other side. Sounds like a design flaw!

I imagine drivers side.....it gets pulled on 5x as many times as passenger side

#13 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,226 Thanks
  • 7,578 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 06:25 AM

It make you wonder what the different places paid for the parts their selling ?  I remember years ago( 40 ) I cousins that had a sporting goods store in a small town . When a big name sporting good store moved into a mall just 4 miles away they were selling items cheaper then they could by from there distributor they lasted a few more years because of good service but finely had to close .  

#14 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 362 Thanks
  • 214 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 07:01 AM

I recently had to replace the passenger side door handle of my 2007 ext. cab chevrolet truck. Was raining, then froze hard on drivers side so I went to open passenger door and the handle pulled right out of the studs. I look at pricing and availability local and mail order, then evaluate how bad I need the part and go from there. Kind of like when I compared a $137 regulator from John Deere, or buying off the internet for $67, both were kawasaki parts. I do end up using Rockauto for a lot of my parts, only had to return one part so far.

#15 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 255 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 07:16 AM

Modern auto parts, you have to shop around.  The Avalanche tailgate handle in question, you are better off with the GM part, even for the price.  Take it from a person who has installed several, the Dorman one does not add up in fit, finish, or strength to the GM one.  I can't believe the body shop quoted .3 to install an Avalanche tailgate handle, labor guide time was close to 2 hours last I checked.  Although they can be done way faster than that, speed of the job depends on the risks you are willing to take with the fiberglass tailgate skin.  The reason for the high time is the top rail is supposed to come off, and it is bonded with two sided tape.  I usually charge .8, but my shop rate isn't $80 an hour, either.

What burns my hide on prices is people who part out old cars, trucks, and tractors for a hobby, but they demand more for one silly little part than they paid for the entire vehicle, truck, tractor, etc.  There are people in the world who could use that part if they wanted something reasonable for it.  Instead, useful parts will be left to rot until the owner's children sell all of it for scrap iron at the estate sale, because they see no value in any of dad, or grandpa's, hobby "junk".