• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • Member No: 88824
  • 35 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 07:00 AM

I bought another vintage walk behind and I believe it's either a Simplicity or Midland. I haven't had time to really check it out. the man I bought it from hadn't started it for a year. Plus a cold front came in and it snowed , not much but enough. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 26907354_361869710951709_1716825133230675842_n.jpg
  • 26908037_361869700951710_2030626126328475003_n.jpg
  • 27067315_361869627618384_7132565328877954420_n.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#2 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,387 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 07:15 AM

Its a Midland.

• hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,329 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 07:36 AM

And that one has reverse too!!!  :thumbs:

Great find

• hamman, boyscout862, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#4 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 35 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 08:54 AM

Its a Midland.

That's what I thought

• hamman said thank you

#5 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 35 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 09:01 AM

And that one has reverse too!!!  :thumbs:

Great find

Thank you - when I saw it online and how much he wanted - well, I had check it out. Now I own it. :thumbs:  :dancingbanana:  :firejumper:  :D  :smilewink:  :worshippy1: 

• Gtractor, hamman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,436 Thanks
  • 2,860 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 09:51 AM

I really like the old walk behind machines. Used several when I was kid. I like seeing you guys that have the passion to fix them up and make them live and run again. Here is a little story of how I began to like them. I never did get the bug to collect them and fix them as some of you did. Thanks for sharing looking forward to seeing it running. When I was about 14 or 15 I took a summer job at a SES near home. I would clean and replace air filters, change oil and sharpen blades among other things there. As the summer progressed the owner got a Simplicity walk behind in. I thought it was really cool. had the big engine,  cowling on it ( that turned out to be a David Bradley cowling) and had this big engine. Problem was it was in pieces. He took it in trade for a GT, it had all the attachments including a sulky. He told me that it was my project to get running. Now I had worked on small engines myself before but never like this. It was down to the crank and all. I worked on that for weeks after work to get it back together and running. After abut a thousand questions and the usual, " ... you will figure it out .... : I got it back together and it was ready for the first start try. Gas in, check, oil in, check, throttle set, check, trans in neutral, check, gas turned on, check. Wrap the rope around the cup put the choke on and pull the rope ........... nothing, second try, .......... nothing, third try, nothing ........ ! As I looked up there is my boss holding a condenser in his hands. He said, quite off hand, " I think you forgot something. " I looked at him and thought , how did I miss that. He handed that to me and I looked at it , though back and said I know I put that in. He just looked at me and said, " I know you did but you forgot to pull the ground bar off the spark plug! "  He reached over moved it back and told me to try again. Yup started right up. He told me that sometimes it is the smallest of things that trow you when you work on things. He told me to clean it up and put it out front with all the attachments. I did so and went home with my dad after he picked me up from work. Next day I worked it was gone. I thought well that is great I fixed that, and went to work. That night when my dad picked me up he took me to the gas station to get a couple gallons of gas. I had about a drop in the old can we had so after .70 cents we had a couple of gallons and headed home. When we pulled into the drive I saw the old walk behind sitting on the patio in the yard. I looked at my dad and he said Mr. Harp said it is yours you fixed it and he wasn't going to sell it anyway. If I had not fixed it he was going to scrap it. Glad I did. We used it there for about 5 years. Some guy came along and offered my dad $ 75 I think and he took it. That was back in the mid 60s. Wish I had it now. Thanks for bringing back a memory.                                                                                                     Roger

• Gtractor, Alc, twowheeler63 and 7 others have said thanks

#7 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 35 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 11:51 AM

That was a great story hamman - I have two now and going to restore both. Maybe some day I'll decide to us one for parts but not right now. I have worked on small engines before and a friend who owns a small engine repair shop and is willing to help if need be. so I hope to get it done but it will take awhile. 

I was over at a buddies house two weeks ago and found a drag rake, you know, it has steel spikes and you drag it through the garden to break up dirt clods. this thing was half berried in the ground and the other half's spikes was pointing up and covered with leaves. I almost stepped on it, I asked my buddies about it and he didn't know it was there and it was about 1foot off his drive, he had a long drive thru the woods to his house. He gave it to me, it fits my walk behind.  

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,191 Thanks
  • 31,427 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 09:34 PM

I bought another vintage walk behind and I believe it's either a Simplicity or Midland. I haven't had time to really check it out. the man I bought it from hadn't started it for a year. Plus a cold front came in and it snowed , not much but enough. 

Get it fired up so you can enter it in the TOTM contest!

• DougT, hamman and Rocky have said thanks

#9 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 35 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 02:15 AM

Get it fired up so you can enter it in the TOTM contest!

TOTM contest?

• hamman said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,191 Thanks
  • 31,427 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 02:57 AM

TOTM contest?

"Tractor Of The Month"   You can find the nomination thread HERE.  Gotta be running for nomination.

• hamman said thank you

#11 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,387 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 06:08 AM

I have one. Its a wards. I've never played with it. I didn't know it had reverse. If they don't have reverse, I don't keep them. I'll have to check it out.

• hamman said thank you

#12 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 35 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 05:44 PM

"Tractor Of The Month"   You can find the nomination thread HERE.  Gotta be running for nomination.

I have one that runs and the other should with a little work, but I don't think either one is good enough to put in for Tractor of the Month

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,384 Thanks
  • 45,933 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 07:04 AM

I have one that runs and the other should with a little work, but I don't think either one is good enough to put in for Tractor of the Month

Right now you have a 50% chance for winning!

#14 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• Member No: 3509
  • 33 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 07:52 AM

Great find. What model does it say it is, on the tag. I'm guessing Clipper, based on the aluminum transmission case, but that is a gray area for now, until I can find more information. If so, the reverse was optional. I've done a little research, and I believe the two larger models, Town and Country, and the Super, both have cast iron gear cases. Also, from what I've found, it appears to be 53-55, based on the adjustable linkage style.

I have a Midland built MW two wheeler, that my Dad bought for me to use, in 1968. My older brother had went away to school ( a priest friend of the family thought he might become one, and paid for the tuition) and it was my job to take care of the 2 acre garden. Over the years, all of the attachments disappeared, with the exception of a homemade brush mower, and the tractor was left to die. Some farmer friends even removed the engine for use elsewhere.

Anyway, I have it now, and plenty of attachments. It lives on my small farm, and I use it to clear the driveway in the winter.

I love the two wheelers.

Nice.

Edited by twowheeler63, February 07, 2018 - 08:04 AM.

• Rocky said thank you

#15 Rocky OFFLINE  

Rocky
  • 35 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 10:29 AM

Great find. What model does it say it is, on the tag. I'm guessing Clipper, based on the aluminum transmission case, but that is a gray area for now, until I can find more information. If so, the reverse was optional. I've done a little research, and I believe the two larger models, Town and Country, and the Super, both have cast iron gear cases. Also, from what I've found, it appears to be 53-55, based on the adjustable linkage style.

I have a Midland built MW two wheeler, that my Dad bought for me to use, in 1968. My older brother had went away to school ( a priest friend of the family thought he might become one, and paid for the tuition) and it was my job to take care of the 2 acre garden. Over the years, all of the attachments disappeared, with the exception of a homemade brush mower, and the tractor was left to die. Some farmer friends even removed the engine for use elsewhere.

Anyway, I have it now, and plenty of attachments. It lives on my small farm, and I use it to clear the driveway in the winter.

I love the two wheelers.

Nice.

Yes it says DANDY BOY CLIPPER .and it's green in color. I need to find a air breather, muffler, tires, and I need to replace the starter pull rope , it has a recoil on it now and part of the housing was hand made. If not mistaken , the starter housing came off a push mower. and I need to look for attachments, any attachments.  

here is what I found so far - Mod  P 1C  no2193

Edited by Rocky, February 07, 2018 - 10:45 AM.

• twowheeler63 said thank you