32 replies to this topic

#16 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 515 Thanks
  • 537 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 11:45 PM

The walkers were made by Ohio cultivater co., and called the blachhawk. My understanding is that Cockshutt marketed them for one year only , in around 56, these units. carry the cockshutt metal tag and are very rare. Just because it's a blackhawk doesn't mean it's a cockshutt. This is what I was told but since i never found one i never bothered to verify the research.

#17 ngrant OFFLINE  

ngrant
  • Member No: 89453
  • 21 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 09:04 PM

Well I made the 2.5 hr trek today. If any one is picking up a similar one with a Jeep Liberty, it will not fit in the back for reference!
I did get the numbers from it though.

BT49 is on one side. I think that means it was made in 49. The serial number is on the other side also.
It does not say BlackHawk or Cockshutt on it anywhere. Coming from Ontario, and made in 49, I suspect it was sold by Cockshutt. Anyone have any more insight on it? Thanks Neil

#18 ngrant OFFLINE  

ngrant
  • 21 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 09:25 PM

The walkers were made by Ohio cultivater co., and called the blachhawk. My understanding is that Cockshutt marketed them for one year only , in around 56, these units. carry the cockshutt metal tag and are very rare. Just because it's a blackhawk doesn't mean it's a cockshutt. This is what I was told but since i never found one i never bothered to verify the research.

I think it was in 49 only as I have most of the Farmers Catalogs for Cockshutt, and it is only in the 49 one.

#19 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 515 Thanks
  • 537 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 02:13 AM

Wasn't sure of the year , but was told in around mid 50's, never seen one in person, the photos I've seen of them in sale bills showed a metal tag with Brantford address.
Sounds like where you got it ,you found the real deal

#20 ngrant OFFLINE  

ngrant
  • 21 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 09:01 AM

Wasn't sure of the year , but was told in around mid 50's, never seen one in person, the photos I've seen of them in sale bills showed a metal tag with Brantford address.
Sounds like where you got it ,you found the real deal

I don’t see any tag on it. But I have read that Cockshutt bought the Ohio cultivator co in 52, and then moved all production to Brantford in 55. So if these little fellows did not sell well, production could have ended for sure in 55 if not much earlier. Maybe even after the 49 model. They seem rare enough and even fewer of the newer ones with the Briggs 14 engine with the square fuel tank. Anyone have a newer than 49 one?
  • Mike Unwin said thank you

#21 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 515 Thanks
  • 537 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 09:39 AM

So then anything 49 and after would be Cockshutt?
  • ngrant said thank you

#22 ngrant OFFLINE  

ngrant
  • 21 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 10:19 AM

1958-Ad.jpg IMG_20160430_191659.jpg

that is an impressive collection, for me Cockshutt and Oliver are more than reliable hard workers, the style and lines of both are so far ahead of the rest of the pack i see them as art in motion with Oliver being a close second place(and i have a 46 Oliver 70 standard),first thing i thought when i seen your cocksutt W/B was how cool it would look next to my co-op, please post a family pic of the occasion lol

I have a 70 also that was my fathers first tractor.  The last series of Canadian made Cockshutts were styled by no less than Raymond Loewy also.

Edited by ngrant, February 07, 2018 - 10:27 AM.

• Alc, Mike Unwin, Clifford Bridgford and 2 others have said thanks

#23 ngrant OFFLINE  

ngrant
  • 21 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 10:22 AM

So then anything 49 and after would be Cockshutt?

It may only be 49 I am thinking as they are not in the 52 farmers catalog at all.  Just in the 49 one.

• HALFSCALE and Achto have said thanks

#24 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 515 Thanks
  • 537 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 10:58 PM

Gotcha, we just don't see them this far south. But we watch for them.

#25 ngrant OFFLINE  

ngrant
  • 21 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 12:03 PM

I have one with a model 14. The engine has a 4 digit serial number so it must be an early one. Like Kris said, I'm not sure how you would differentiate between a Blackhawk and a Cockshutt. They never used tags. I think they were both sold at the same time. There is a cast boss on the gearbox that they stamped info into. I've also seen them listed as a Co-op.

Would you have the year and serial number of yours? Mine is a 49.

#26 Danny McCloskey OFFLINE  

Danny McCloskey
  • Member No: 14471
  • 49 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 08:09 AM

My Dad bought one around 1946-47, (I was around 1-2 years old), we have pictures of my brother giving me a ride in a cart with it.  He got the plow, disc, and cultivator with it.  He had worked at the Co-op, and bought it while he worked there.  I don't know if it is a Co-op, or Blackhawk.  It is in the chicken house where I was raised.  It wouldn't take much to get it to run if it could be dug out.  I have a frame and wheels for one.  My brother has one with the Model 14 Briggs engine.  Dad's has a Model A? Briggs engine.  Dads was still used in the early 1970's to cultivate the garden.  He modified a David Bradley sickle bar mower to fit so he could mow the fence rows.

• Gtractor and ngrant have said thanks

#27 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 7,110 Thanks
  • 5,075 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 11:38 AM

Would you have the year and serial number of yours? Mine is a 49.

The 4 digit engine number is Mar 48 so most likely the tractor is too. Never looked for the model or tractor number. I have a total of 4 of these. 3 are complete and the 4th is disassembled. 2 have the newer engines and 2 have the older ones I can't remember if they are both Bs or an A and a B. The others are too buried to get to.

• ngrant said thank you

#28 Danny McCloskey OFFLINE  

Danny McCloskey
  • Member No: 14471
  • 49 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 10:29 AM

Here are some pictures of my brother using the one our Dad bought in 1946/47.

Danny

Attached Thumbnails

• scan0010.jpg
  • scan0101.jpg
  • scan0120.jpg
  • scan0123.jpg

• Gtractor, Leonard VanCamp, Clifford Bridgford and 2 others have said thanks

#29 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,154 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 12:10 PM

Here are some pictures of my brother using the one our Dad bought in 1946/47.

Danny

Thanks. I hated the history they tried to shove down my throat in school but I love real history. 

#30 ngrant OFFLINE  

ngrant
  • 21 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 04:56 PM

IMG_0119.jpg IMG_0121.jpg Matt.jpg IMG_0060.jpg The Blackhawk is now at my brother's place.  We put a concoction in the cylinder and it passed through into the sump so that is good.  In the mean time, a unsiezed Briggs of the exact model found me and it seems in quite decent shape.  It may be plan A or plan B depending on how it goes.  It is a little newer, but the same type 14.  I should be getting it home next week.

• B10Dave said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blackhawk