• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 153 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 05:41 PM

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

so I was exploring an old farmstead and I found this in an old chicken coop. along with an old lawnmower with a Clinton engine. but anyway I have no Idea what this box is or what it could have done. it looks like it might have been assembled in a factory but im not sure yet. the box is in amazing shape and I haven't seen a rust hole in the bottom of it yet. I might get some new wires for it cause I have some hit n miss engines that could use this. it has a switch on the side (the kind you push in) and its kind of sticky. I think it has some writing on the switch but I can't remember what it said ill check again when I get home but anyway I have no idea what this is and if anybody has some info I would like to know.

• olcowhand and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 2,015 Thanks
  • 1,208 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 07:06 PM

Looks home made to me . The coil is a Ford model T spark coil . maybe some one made an electric fence charger. Them old coils will put out a good steady zap

• Alc, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#3 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • 153 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 07:45 PM

Looks home made to me . The coil is a Ford model T spark coil . maybe some one made an electric fence charger. Them old coils will put out a good steady zap

never thought of that before. the coil doesn't say ford on them like all my others do. wouldn't the coil burn out a lot though? I mostly thought the coils were for starting and that's it.

#4 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 2,015 Thanks
  • 1,208 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 08:08 PM

Could be an after market coil , lots of company's made replacement parts for Fords . The coils ( 4of them in a model T) buzzed continually when the engine was running .  

Correction they did not buzz continually but appeared to buzz continually , they were controlled by what was called a timer.   

Edited by Bill 76, February 03, 2018 - 08:26 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,689 Thanks
  • 9,474 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 10:10 PM

I think that it is a Model T Ford Coil Tester. The coils would wear out and could be repaired. A friend had one that looked different but appeared to do the same thing. His had a button to push and an attached adjustable spark gap. You pushed the button and could observe the spark. That is probably worth a bit to a Model T collector. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc said thank you

#6 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • 153 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 10:46 PM

I think that it is a Model T Ford Coil Tester. The coils would wear out and could be repaired. A friend had one that looked different but appeared to do the same thing. His had a button to push and an attached adjustable spark gap. You pushed the button and could observe the spark. That is probably worth a bit to a Model T collector. Good Luck, Rick

I think you might be on to something, because it has this push button switch that when you let off on it shuts off. 

but this thing is soldered in there good. my dad thinks its a devise that when you pressed the button it would ignite all spark plugs at once then when the engine fired you would let off. he remembers seeing something like this in an airplane once and as he described it "there was a shower of sparks"

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

• Alc and Mark 149 J. have said thanks