#1 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Went to start the L/60 GARDEN TRACTORS 573 (Small).jpg yesterday to haul some plants to the back garden, stripped the starter gear on the 8 HP Briggs! :( I had a new gear on hand, so no big deal to change it. Started right off with the new gear in place, so off I went to the garden. Tractor set under an apple tree for an hour of so, then when I got ready to come back to the house, no start! :deadhorse: The engine is locked up! :confuse:

Fortunately, I had a newer 12-1/2 HP Briggs on hand for a winter project! :smile1: Today, I got the old one out & "new" one in with only a little more frame notching. Will have to wait until Wednesday to get some parts to finish the job, plastic elbow on gas line is cracked. ~~ grnspot

Edited by grnspot110, July 03, 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#2 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 06:10 PM

thats going to be a big difference 8 hp to a 12 should be a ton more power . to bad it had to break down away from the house but that seems to be the norm.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:18 AM

Sorry to hear of the breakdown. Hope the transplant work well.

to bad it had to break down away from the house but that seems to be the norm.

So I'm not the only one who's noticed that.

The severity of the problem is proportional to the distance from the tools and parts to fix it.

#4 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 03:25 PM

Not really too bad to bring it in, since it's set up to tow in parades; Tractor Shows 2010 001 - Copy.jpg Just pin the lead hitch on, hook onto the 420 & "bring 'er in"!

Got it going today, still need to make some adjustments, but it does run & move! :D ~~ grnspot

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Glad you were able to fix up the L60 with little issue, sorry you had a breakdown.

Mine too breakdown, and to make you feel better I will tell you which one broke down and where. The Springfield Electric Tractor was loaded the night before a tractor show (local) and that night it rained. When I offloaded it at the show the next day I got 15 feet from the trailer where it stopped dead (not the batteries). So at the first showing of the Springfield Electric it was a no go and I was in the control box trying to sort out the issue. I got it down to either the controller or the throttle. Unfortunately I was 8 miles from my shop so my spare throttle was unavailable to me. So after I got it home that after noon I tried my spare throttle (wired in temp) and it worked, so I took apart the old throttle (still on the tractor) and concluded water got in it overnight and shorted it. so blew out the water, glob of silicon and good to go again, better than new. Just goes to show they break down at their debut too.

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Glad you were able to fix up the L60 with little issue, sorry you had a breakdown.

Mine too breakdown, and to make you feel better I will tell you which one broke down and where. The Springfield Electric Tractor was loaded the night before a tractor show (local) and that night it rained. When I offloaded it at the show the next day I got 15 feet from the trailer where it stopped dead (not the batteries). So at the first showing of the Springfield Electric it was a no go and I was in the control box trying to sort out the issue. I got it down to either the controller or the throttle.
Unfortunately I was 8 miles from my shop so my spare throttle was unavailable to me. So after I got it home that after noon I tried my spare throttle (wired in temp) and it worked, so I took apart the old throttle (still on the tractor) and concluded water got in it overnight and shorted it. so blew out the water, glob of silicon and good to go again, better than new. Just goes to show they break down at their debut too.

Starter went out of my 420 when we were lining up for a parade, had to use the 67-112 for that one. A friend of mine had one of his CC wouldn't start when he got to our show last year, he'd been in heavy rain on the way to the show. Thinks he broke a rod, hasn't fixed it yet!

Happens to all of us! :wallbanging::madhop: ~~ grnspot

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 07:58 PM

Yup, it all happens and we all get bummed out, so we have to make do with it all. I like it best when it happens at home where I can just fix it.