Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Possibly too lose cutter deck belt on MTD 38"?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 humpy OFFLINE  

humpy
  • Member No: 89348
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 03:53 AM

Just bought a MTD 38 " 2nd hand .. the cutter belt was snapped when purchased ... Manual says 77 7/8" belt..

I fitted a Kevlar belt, 76" internal = 78" OD  ( 3mm  bigger than official belt).. it  was WAY too loose!...

I then fitted a 75" ID belt  which  actually worked out at around 76.5" OD, when measured, which is a fair   jump in down sizing.. That one was definitely a wee bit  smaller than the old snapped belt when compared..

However it STILL seems too loose...  As soon as I started up the cutter  system, the belt  flaps  from side to side as shown in linked  video file 1, enough to put  vibration through the whole mower and even  makes the bonnet  flap a bit  ...also when stopped, but tension still on,, it is quite easy to push in with a finger....as shown in vid2

http://cybersol.com....mpup/mower1.mp4

http://cybersol.com....mpup/mower2.mp4

While collecting  belt at mowershop,  i had a look at the tension on the display  Rover/MTD mowers that were  nearly identical  design wise.

When i engaged the cutter belt  on these new machines, their  cutter belts were definitely tighter than mine even with the new smaller belt..

When fitting the  belt it easily fitted over the front drive pulley .. one size smaller I think would still juuuust  fit over without  straining  at it....

Should I go to another inch size down perhaps?  loathe to spent another $40 for another belt, but no point flogging the mower out with a too loose belt...

Many thanks

Will

Edited by humpy, February 02, 2018 - 03:55 AM.

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,135 Thanks
  • 6,632 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 08:04 AM

How do the replacement belts fit in the pulleys?  Could it be the belts you using are to narrow for the pulleys and dropping down in to far?  Normally, the outside of the belt should run even with the rim of the pulley.  Could not view the videos in that format.  Just a thought.

Edited by chieffan, February 02, 2018 - 09:57 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,849 Thanks
  • 9,171 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 08:43 AM

I'm not familiar with your exact machine but usually there is an adjustment that allows you to compensate for the belt stretching. Check our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day) for the Operators(or Owners') Manual. It should tell how to adjust the tension. Sometimes that adjustment is in the front deck suspension linkage. If you have more questions, post some pics. That way we can visualize what you are up against. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

#4 humpy OFFLINE  

humpy
  • Member No: 89348
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 09:12 AM

belt is brand new so nil stretching at this stage..  std half inch belt as per original manufacture specs..

happy to post further pics.

of which bits/what exactly ? and ill happily snap away..

cheers

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,987 Thanks
  • 18,140 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 11:10 AM

You need an original spec belt, just because the length says its the same that dosent matter as OEM belts for these still were a special angle and v-groove

generic belts dont work on these riders

#6 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,892 Thanks
  • 1,386 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 01:37 PM

That much shake and vibration would make me suspect I had problems other than the belt. Blades out of balance, bad bearings, bent pulley/shaft, loose deck hangars. I have never had a loose belt cause any thing like that much shake. I have used generic belts and never developed vibration like that no matter how loose. The problem I generally have with generic belts is they don't last long enough to justify putting them on if i get them free.  Don 

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,974 Thanks
  • 10,002 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 02:44 PM

I am suspect of the tensioner working properly. Be sure to check it is under tension and that is not wobbling on it's shaft.

#8 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,513 Thanks
  • 1,564 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 03:45 PM

You need an original spec belt, just because the length says its the same that dosent matter as OEM belts for these still were a special angle and v-groove

generic belts dont work on these riders

i agree i always use MTD belts on MTD built products to match the belt angle to the pulleys