• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 577 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 10:25 PM

I just received a Brinly Disc Harrow it looks like it was hardly used. I noticed that it did not to be assembled right so I down loaded the manual. Going through the manual I found that the hitch was not put together right & that the disc angles are not right. One gang angle was set at 10 degrees & the other gang angle was set at 20 degrees Before any one makes a comment about reading manuals I learned a long time ago if you want to put something together properly it is best to become familiar with the instructions. Now for my question I found on one disc gang all blades will spin individually & the other gang the blades are locked together. Which is correct & does it make a difference?

Charlie

• chieffan and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,901 Thanks
  • 47,101 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 06:56 AM

I'm thinking they blades should all turn as one (locked together).

• Grumpy, boyscout862, FixItCharlie and 3 others have said thanks

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,206 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 07:46 AM

I'm assuming it's similar to my DD-1000.  There is a plain bearing in what they call the bearing holder (the stanchion that attaches the row of discs to the frame).  The individual discs, spacers and washers tighten securely to the bearing.

You want them to all turn together with the bearing (which is greased) so the individual discs don't wear on the axle.

• KennyP, FixItCharlie, Leonard VanCamp and 3 others have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,346 Thanks
  • 7,109 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 08:13 AM

:iagree:   Also, the outside end of the set of disc should lead the inside end.  The inside two blades should be close enough together they nearly touch.  This way you don't leave a strip down the center and have to lap over to pick it up next pass.  Single disc the blades  should throw to the outside.  Tandem you want the rear gang to throw to the inside.   This is the way we always did it back on the farm.  Good luck with your project.

• KennyP, FixItCharlie, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,901 Thanks
  • 47,101 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 08:57 AM

You may need to tighten the center bolt to get them snugged together. Any chance this set was put together wrong and if you tighten things it won't turn?

• FixItCharlie, Leonard VanCamp, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,346 Thanks
  • 7,109 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 09:59 AM

You may need to tighten the center bolt to get them snugged together. Any chance this set was put together wrong and if you tighten things it won't turn?

Very good possibility.  I got a Brinly Tandem last year and had to disassemble it including on set of blades to get it set up right.

• KennyP, FixItCharlie, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#7 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 577 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 11:31 AM

Thank you everyone. I tried tightening the center bolt but it bound everything so that it would not turn. So I will take it apart to see what is wrong. It looks like I should have time to get it ready as I see that they call for 6 more weeks of winter.

Charlie

• olcowhand, KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,901 Thanks
  • 47,101 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 01:53 PM

Thank you everyone. I tried tightening the center bolt but it bound everything so that it would not turn. So I will take it apart to see what is wrong. It looks like I should have time to get it ready as I see that they call for 6 more weeks of winter.

Charlie

Then something wasn't put together right there. It should spin well in the center with that tight.

• FixItCharlie, Leonard VanCamp and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#9 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 577 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 10:11 PM

I took it apart today everything was so tight that I needed to use the press to get everything apart. The bearing tube did not show any corrosion but it has something on it. Emery cloth cleaned it up & I also used the emery cloth on the bushings, but when assembled it was still binding. Doing more work on it with a file & emery cloth I was able to get the bearing tube to move but still snug. I put it all back together to find that it would still not turn right. I do not know if the bearing tube was to short or it just worn enough that the washers would still press on he bushings so found a piece of tubing the right size & cut a small part off of it. Putting it back together this did make it work as it should but had to much side to side movement. I took the bushing & filed to make it thinner so now it is working as intended with no side to side movement. All is greased & adjusted as the manual calls for. It is now ready for when the weather &  soil get into condition to test & do fine adjustments. Thank you everyone for the help.

Charlie

Attached Thumbnails

• SUNP0046.JPG
  • SUNP0048.JPG
  • SUNP0053.JPG
  • SUNP0054.JPG

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,901 Thanks
  • 47,101 posts

Posted February 04, 2018 - 09:13 AM

Hope it works well for you. Sounds like the 'axle' was binding in the bearing.

• FixItCharlie said thank you

#11 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted February 04, 2018 - 08:35 PM

I had one of those small disc about 40 years ago.  The way ​I got it to work best was to add cement blocks on the disc and get someone to sit on it.  The way I used it was I would plow with a moldboard plow and let the turned over earth set for a couple of weeks at least.  Then I would run across it with the disc to break up the flipped earth.  This worked almost as good as a tiller.  It was more worm friendly than a tiller.

I am not sure how to spell the type of plow. Is moldplow correct?  I have changed the spelling twice.

Edited by coxhaus, February 04, 2018 - 11:51 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#12 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 577 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted February 04, 2018 - 09:39 PM

Yes that is the way I plan to use it but that is several weeks away before I can think about that. I had just purchased this disc & was disassembled to be shipped to me. So getting it ready for this spring I found some problems with it. so I repaired it.

Charlie