• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Homelite Dude OFFLINE  

Homelite Dude
  • Member No: 89448
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 05:26 PM

Hello, This is my first time posting so please bear with me. I've got a Homelite Super XL I bought new around 1977-1980. It runs great with incredible torque but weights a lot. I need a new muffler and thought I'd get some other replacement parts if I can find them and a manual if available. I'm running into a dead end when I show anyone the model/serial number sticker. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's been a great saw and I want to keep it cutting !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5041.jpg
  • IMG_5043.jpg
  • IMG_5045.jpg
  • IMG_5047.jpg

• hamman said thank you

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,584 Thanks
  • 968 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 06:29 PM

http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/
check with Leon or Chainsaw lady here, also a parts for sale section. A lot of homie parts on eBay ( ugh the horror)

Whoops ! welcome aboard

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, February 01, 2018 - 06:46 PM.

• jhn9840, Gtractor, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#3 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,197 Thanks
  • 779 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 08:37 PM

If you have no luck i Might be a last chance, Might have a few of these in a pile or two, what ever you want to pay for parts plus shipping and would be spring before got to, i like old saws (they look good on the shelf lol) and good luck in your search
  • hamman said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,658 Thanks
  • 3,114 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 09:44 PM

I have 2 Super XL12s with manual oiler only and 2 Super XL12 Autos and 3 parts saws. All of mine were cracked or rusted out or modified but I'll look around and see if I have 1 that's decent.

Muffler cover is Part #  Homelite 59051

There are a bunch of used and a couple NOS mufflers on Ebay but the NOS ones are pretty expensive.

https://www.ebay.com...uffler&_sacat=0

1 of my XL12s has a Stack exhaust on it. It's off of an earlier 1968-70 2 bolt head but they bolt rite on. They are aluminum and not baffled. Very loud but they wake up the saw. It has alot more speed than the other saws with there factory mufflers.

They pop up forsale on ebay from time to time.

xl12_001_1024x1024.JPG

Here is a blue xl12 with the stack exhaust. He needs to tune it for the higher rpm (he's running a bit to lean on the main needle) but you can see where I'm going with this. The stack won't ever burn out or crack so it should last forever.

Edited by EricFromPa, February 01, 2018 - 09:48 PM.

#5 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,387 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 04:23 AM

They are pretty to look at. Have fun using one all day. My thumb still ain't the same. And its been thirty five years!

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,313 Thanks
  • 9,782 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 08:34 AM

I have an Owners Manual for a Homelite XL and Super2, if that will do you or anyone else any good.

#7 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 481 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 10:28 PM

I have a couple of those blue XL-12s, great saws.  One with that open muffler & wow does it cackle, without ear plugs, go deaf in hurry but like said, will really rev up!

At my age getting to be a little too much saw though, actually any chain saw is a little too much these days!!

#8 Homelite Dude OFFLINE  

Homelite Dude
  • Member No: 89448
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 04, 2018 - 08:38 AM

Thanks to all of you for the responses . I'm 64 now and can't split wood like I used to but still thoroughly  enjoy dropping a few trees and cutting them up. After that when I set down this heavy Homelite, I feel like I got a days work done anyway. After posting my question I actually found a place (Parrish Impenent) that seems to have everything I needed although it's great to know I have a ace in the hole with all of your help and knowledge. Thanks very much again!