10 replies to this topic

#1 iblongshort OFFLINE  

iblongshort
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 89446
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 03:30 PM

I am wondering if anyone can tell me about where the red wire from the ignition module goes on the coil ( plus or minus ) It seems to me that the red wire went to the ( minus ) side of the coil, but am not sure.

I replaced the two component system last year with a HET single component system from sam's bolens but I am dissatisfied with it as you can't adjust the timing and it is timed too fast and can't be adjusted as stated before but it has a single wire to the plus side of the coil and then to an on/off toggle switch  and another to wire to the minus side of the coil. I should have taken photos before I disassembled the old system but didn't think that I would ever need to go back to the old system.

I have since found a stator which is brand new and a new ignition module and want to bring it back to the original but have searched the web and can't find a diagram of the original wiring for that component. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a new member and have completely restored my 1477-01 Bolens and have had the engine overhauled the engine about ten years ago and will probably post photos at a later date.  Thanks for any help on this.

Edited by iblongshort, February 02, 2018 - 12:01 PM.

#2 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 597 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 05:00 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Welcome lots of good help here, someone will answer your question also you can check the manual section at the top of the page.

• boyscout862 and iblongshort have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,840 Thanks
  • 9,165 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 05:38 PM

Welcome to GTT. Go to the Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day). and download the Wisconsin Manual for your engine. It should have what you need. If not there is a more detailed shop manual for Wisconsins, I think. Good Luck, Rick

Engine Manual:  http://gardentractor...-engine-manual/

Solid State Ignition:  http://gardentractor...icerepair-info/

Solid State Ignition:  http://gardentractor...state-ignition/

Edited by boyscout862, February 01, 2018 - 05:47 PM.

• logmillingman and iblongshort have said thanks

#4 iblongshort OFFLINE  

iblongshort
  • GTt Junior
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 05:58 PM

Thanks logmillingman, I checked the Wisconsin engine manuals and the only one depicting an S14D was an older model with points & condenser. I guess they made an S14D before they came out with the two component system but like you said maybe someone on these boards with knowledge of the tow component system will read my post and respond,  I'll keep checking--  Thanks iblongshort

• logmillingman said thank you

#5 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 145 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 11:08 PM

I also have an 1477 w/ S14D - I'll try to check the manuals I have and see if there's a diagram - may have something on my computer as well - just need to check-

• boyscout862, logmillingman and iblongshort have said thanks

#6 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 145 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 11:11 PM

clearly that didn't work very well... try emailing me & I should be able to get this back to you as an attachment

WISCONSIN FORM MY-101-3    (REV.BY BOLENS)
WISCONSIN
DESCRIPTION, Fig. 1
magnet    inthe ring passes over a trigger    coil generates a small amount ofcurrent tothe solid switch    silicon controlled rectifier). TheSCR is trig- gered by this current and releases the stored up ener- gy in the capacitor to the primary windings of the ig- nition    coil    where a high voltage is induced intothe secondary windings and on into the spark    plug.
Solid state breakerless minate    ignition    maintenance electronically    controlling    the spark.    A    magnet
ignition
ignition    coil    and    stator    assembly parts    o f the    solid    state    ignition
N o    timing    adjustment    o r breaker essary. All of thesolid state components are neatly molded into the stator, mounted to the flywheel end bearing    plate.    The    only    mechanically    moving    part i s the magnet ring, a component part o f the flywheel.
Fig. 1
OPERATION, Fig. 2
Alternating current is generated as theflywheel    mag- net    ring    passes over the coil poles on stator    plate. The current i s then directed through a diode    rectifier, an electronic device that allows thecurrent to flow in only one direction, thus changing the alternating current todirect current. The direct current then con- tinues on to a capacitor    where it i s stored momenta- rily. A s the flywheel continues to turn, the permanent
Fig. 2
For Engine Models
,-12D and S-14D
was designed to eli- and improve    starting by ring, basic
which
state
The spark timing i s permanently established by the position of thetrigger coil in the stator plate, rela- tive tothe flywheel keyway. Seeillustration. Page 2.
IGNITION TIMING - SPARK ADVANCE
The accuracy of the spark advance timing can be checked with a neon timing lamp and 12 volt battery. Timing, however, cannof bechanged, since it is elec- tronically controlled bythetrigger coil onthestator plate. Connect lamp leads to positive terminal o f bat- tery, spark plug terminal and ground.
The spark is retarded 10to 12" before top dead cen- ter for starting, and automatically advances a s engine speed    increases.    T h e running    spark    advance    (2500 R.P.M. and over) i s 20'>.
Model    TRA' 12D: Theflywheel is marked with a groove to indicate the 20°running spark advance. With the engine operating at 2500 R.P.M. or over, the timing    mark    (groove) onrim offlywheel will appear in line with timing pointer, left view. Fig. 3.
Models    SBMft, |^^8, S-14D:    The timing groove on the rim offlywheel, Fig. 3(right), ismarked forthe 18" magneto and battery ignition advance, and timing can be checked to this mark for solid state ignition while the engine is running at 1000 R.P.M. When checking
are the    three system.
point    setting    i s n e c -
the 20° running    spark over, the timing    mark inch    above    the timing
MODEL TRA-12D
advance,    at 2500 R.P.M. or (groove) will appear about 1/8
pointer.
Fig. 3
MODEL 5-14D
STATOR CHECKS
FLYWHEEL

• boyscout862, logmillingman and iblongshort have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,123 Thanks
  • 6,626 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 03:37 PM

http://gardentractor...state-ignition/

In the Manuals section under Engines - Wisconsin 2nd page.

When you find this one there is another next to it.  Either one or both should give you what your after.

• logmillingman said thank you

#8 iblongshort OFFLINE  

iblongshort
  • GTt Junior
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 04:46 PM

I have attached a photo of the S14D that I an wanting to find out if the red wire goes to the plus side of the automotive style coil or the minus side ? I'm hoping that when I pop the flywheel on this, that I will be able to see at what position that the stator was positioned when I took it off a couple years ago.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wisconsin S14D stator & ignition module.jpg

#9 iblongshort OFFLINE  

iblongshort
  • GTt Junior
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 04:55 PM

Here is the stator & ignition module. The stator goes behind the flywheel and the module is screwed to the side of the flywheel housing on the carb side. I just want to know where the red wire goes? I know that it goes to one side of the coil but which side I don't know. don't want to fry my new stator but it seemed that when I took it off, the red lead went to the negative side.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wisconsin S14D stator & ignition module.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,279 Thanks
  • 45,883 posts

Posted February 04, 2018 - 08:52 AM

Here is the stator & ignition module. The stator goes behind the flywheel and the module is screwed to the side of the flywheel housing on the carb side. I just want to know where the red wire goes? I know that it goes to one side of the coil but which side I don't know. don't want to fry my new stator but it seemed that when I took it off, the red lead went to the negative side.

Fig. 1 of this manual says the red wire goes to the + side of the coil.

• logmillingman and iblongshort have said thanks

#11 iblongshort OFFLINE  

iblongshort
  • GTt Junior
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 04, 2018 - 11:05 AM

Thanks much kennyp I will use this-------iblongshort