• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 684 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 11:19 AM

Back in 85 I bought a brand new Allis Chalmers 5020 4WD and currently it sits with just a bit less than 1200 hrs on the meter, everything works as it should, tires are good, could use a new seat, body is straight and paint is original.  At the time I didn't have the means to buy the loader and perhaps it was a good thing as many of this model met an early demise if they were so equipped and worked hard, you either broke the tractor in half due to the aluminum bellhousing or busted up the front axle which now parts are so rare they don't exist beings that Hinomoto and Allis are both out if biz.  Been a great tractor never had an issue with it in the 30+ yrs I have owned it.

The Tractor does have many feature short comings, no power steering, lack of hydraulic features beyond the 3pth, poor transmission gearing even though it's 12/3 the reverses are either to slow or to fast within the ranges. It's hard to get on and off (getting old I guess), large physical size and large turning radius, no mid mount equipment possibilities.

I suppose I could make a few modifications to the machine to bring it closer to modern, like electric power steer, external hydraulics, or is it just time to upgrade?  I cringe the thought of anything new seeing some of the horror stories and then the price of things but I'm not sure I want to put any coin into the current machine.  What to do, what to do??

• boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,325 Thanks
  • 9,790 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 12:14 PM

Can't you upgrade without going to new???

• js5020, Mark 149 J. and secondtry have said thanks

#3 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 684 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 12:40 PM

Can't you upgrade without going to new???

I guess a modification could be considered an upgrade, if that's what your saying.  I suppose jumping up a few years with a used later model machine would also be an upgrade, if that's what your saying.  

Unfortunately the used compact market isn't the used GT market, used compacts are almost as much as new.  So I only considered modifying the current machine or buy a new one.  But I suppose I could pursue used.

• LilysDad said thank you

#4 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 482 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 02:10 PM

I wouldn't put a penny in that thing, just unload it.  It was a crime AC ever put their name on that machine.  I almost bought one new many years ago, thank goodness I didn't.

I of course don't know about your finances but as you said, getting older & maybe less "mobile" probably means upgrading to a more user friendly machine.  Been there.  Everything is harder with age including running equipment.

About 12 years ago, when looking at retirement, I looked for 2 years for a good used CUT/TLB, & finally gave up & bought new, never sorry.  As mentioned, used CUTs bring premium dollars & you never know what your getting.  Sure the payments wear on you but you have a warranty & for 10 years now all I have to do is jump on it & go, except of course for regular maintenance.

If you care, it is a JD 2320.

Good luck

Skip

• js5020 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,325 Thanks
  • 9,790 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 02:14 PM

I suppose jumping up a few years with a used later model machine would also be an upgrade, if that's what your saying.  

Unfortunately the used compact market isn't the used GT market, used compacts are almost as much as new.  So I only considered modifying the current machine or buy a new one.  But I suppose I could pursue used.

Yeah, number 2 was what I had in mind.

• js5020 said thank you

#6 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 684 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 04:55 PM

I wouldn't put a penny in that thing, just unload it.  It was a crime AC ever put their name on that machine.  I almost bought one new many years ago, thank goodness I didn't.

I of course don't know about your finances but as you said, getting older & maybe less "mobile" probably means upgrading to a more user friendly machine.  Been there.  Everything is harder with age including running equipment.

About 12 years ago, when looking at retirement, I looked for 2 years for a good used CUT/TLB, & finally gave up & bought new, never sorry.  As mentioned, used CUTs bring premium dollars & you never know what your getting.  Sure the payments wear on you but you have a warranty & for 10 years now all I have to do is jump on it & go, except of course for regular maintenance.

If you care, it is a JD 2320.

Good luck

Skip

Thanks for your experience. I have no issue unloading the 5020 and buying something modern and more useful.  The 5020 has been great but it's dated big time when it comes to versatility and creature comforts.  My initial thought was to just get a larger GT and run the compact tractor until it died and not replace it, but I tested that thought over a few years now with the WH GT, ATV's and a dedicated JD mower and although the GTs have held there own pretty well I have had tasks crop up that I had to break out the compact to bail out the GTs so I have come to the conclusion that a GT just cant cut it and I need to have something bigger on hand.  I'm pretty realistic about the 5020 and lack of parts and pretty hesitant about bringing it up to a semi modern standard but the cheap side of me is always trying to save a buck.  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,979 Thanks
  • 10,006 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 08:46 PM

Are you looking to have a mid-mount mower if you upgrade?

#8 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 684 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 09:29 PM

Are you looking to have a mid-mount mower if you upgrade?

I would go that route and ditch the dedicated lawn tractor.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • 13,979 Thanks
  • 10,006 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 10:41 PM

Then the JD 1 series with the auto connect sounds like just the ticket.

The open operator's station is really nice for getting on and off, too.

Wait. I am telling you or convincing myself?
  • js5020 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#10 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 684 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 11:22 PM

I've had the opportunity to use a JD and a Kubota sub compact, both were super easy to use, easy on and off, I'm use to the twin pedal setup on the X3 mower so the series1 was an instant "fit", the pedals of the Kubota not as much.  I mounted the loader and hoe to the Kubota without any instructions, used the loader to move some dirt around.

I'm not so sold on the quick connect on the JD decks, see a lot of folks have issues, don't know if it's fact or operator issues but I wary.

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • 13,979 Thanks
  • 10,006 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 05:36 AM

Auto connect issues are dealer product prep error 75% of the time. If you have a large enough area of flat concrete inside or out, it will work as advertised if set up properly.
  • js5020 said thank you

#12 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 684 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 08:58 AM

Auto connect issues are dealer product prep error 75% of the time. If you have a large enough area of flat concrete inside or out, it will work as advertised if set up properly.

No worries then I have concrete surfaces where I would take it on and off.  

I have 4 brands within 20 miles,, Yanmar, Kubota, LS, Mahindra, And John Deere is 40 miles.