Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens Appears To Have Started Assigning Part Numbers To Regular Hardware Around 1960

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 8,735 Thanks
  • 2,877 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 02:25 PM

As I have been cleaning up some of the Bolens Manuals I have learned a few things about Bolens I did not know before.

One of them is that Bolens appears to have starting assigning parts number to regular hardware (nuts and bolts) around 1960.  I base this on the fact that the parts list for the 22445-01 Rotary mower shows part numbers beside the bolts, nuts and washers (the original pdf has the year 1961 hand written on the front page) and the parts manual for the 22435-01 (which I would assume was made about a year or two earlier) lists them only by description with no Bolens part number.  I have attached copies of the cleaned up pages from both manuals so you can see the difference. 

I wonder if this was a decision made by Bolens to try and increase parts sales or a result of dealers demanding an easy to source supply for bolts that may have been an odd length and size that a local hardware store would not normally have on the shelf  (and probably reluctant to order in a box quantity just to sell one or two)?

I also noticed that the artwork of the break down picture for the 22445-01 model is much more detailed than the artwork for the 22435-01 model.  Again I wonder if this was due to technology improvements or by a demand from the dealers for a better and easier to read parts list? 

Attached Files

Edited by 29 Chev, January 31, 2018 - 02:25 PM.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 8,735 Thanks
  • 2,877 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 05:06 PM

Another thing I learned and found interesting is how the Bolens insignia evolved over the years.  In this example you can see the Husky man image with the folded arms but at this point the word "HUSKY" was spelled with an "I" at the end.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens Huski Insignia 1.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862, Austen and 2 others have said thanks

#3 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 605 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 06:00 PM

Very interesting Stew, you are turning into a regular Bolens forensic investigator!

• blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks