• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 saukengines OFFLINE  

saukengines
  • Member No: 28701
  • 18 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 11:26 AM

I am currently working on a Standard Twin restoration, and I need to find the crankshaft seal that fits on the crankshaft front plate.  I think that it is a CR seal, but I am hoping that someone here will have a part number, or know where I might find one.  Thanks for any help  that you are able to provide.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00837.JPG

#2 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 134 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 12:15 PM

what dose the old seal look like? your probably not going to find a part number or find another exact seal. your probably have to have one made or rob one off another tractor. 

ps: if you haven't already look in the Manuel section of this sight they have a Manuel over there for a twin.  

Edited by Bob White12, January 31, 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#3 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 406 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 07:55 PM

Give me the bore diameter, shaft diameter, and thickness in thousand's.  I had no trouble with the engine seals when I restored mine (about twenty years ago).  On the axles, I had to bore the housings to a different bore diameter.

Cliff

#4 saukengines OFFLINE  

saukengines
  • 18 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 08:12 AM

I got the old seal off.  The inside diameter of the outer lip is a couple thousandths shy of 2.5".  The outer lip itself is pretty thick at 0.130".  The crankshaft is a 1" shaft and the opening in the center of the seal housing is a bit out of round and varies from 1.025" to 1.032".  I am hoping that someone will know what seal it is or know of a seal that will work for this engine.DSC01764.JPG DSC01765.JPG

#5 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • 406 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 11:59 AM

National seals for one inch shaft.  Darker numbers are usually what is currently available. National is now branded Timken.  Same part numbers.

Cliff

Attached Thumbnails

• National Seals One Inch Shaft.jpg

#6 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • 406 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 04:15 PM

Was the original seal just a piece of cork placed in the retainer that you show a picture of?  

Cliff

#7 saukengines OFFLINE  

saukengines
  • 18 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 07:46 PM

To be honest, I am not completely sure.  The seal was gone when I got the tractor, it was just the retainer.  A couple of guys that I know who work on older stuff told me it was most likely either rawhide or leather.