Sunstrand 15 Interchangable Parts Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jpswift1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 69996
  • 720 Thanks
  • 576 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 11:43 PM

I'm planning on going through this Sunstrand 15 series "split system" pump on my Steiner because it seems to be leaking quite a bit.  I have Sunstrand 15 series "inline" unit from a Massey Ferguson 1655 which I plan on using the internals from (which has about 1000 hours on it). I'll be buying a seal and O ring kit, and I'm assuming the internals in the Steiner's Sunstrand unit are pretty worn since there is quite a bit of leakage.

Do you guys know if I can I swap internals from the "inline" Sunstrand into the "split system" Sunstrand for the Steiner?  I'm guessing that if it's leaking like it is, the internals most likely also have quite a bit of wear too.

Is there anything else that you guys recommend that I do while I'm going through the Sunstrand unit from the Steiner?

I figured you guys would know because of the wealth of knowledge here.  Thanks in advance! 

• Member No: 915
  • 565 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 11:20 PM

If it's leaking externally, it needs seals and gaskets. If it's leaking internally due to wear, performance will have dropped off noticeably.

Split the inline and add the end plates from the Steiner to the pump and motor sections. If the shafts are different, swap them out. The charge pump may have a different drive method and the pump valve plates are individually machined at the factory for clockwise or counterclockwise rotation. Other than that, the internals are the same as far as I know.

• olcowhand said thank you