• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,444 Thanks
  • 45,960 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 07:16 AM

Very nice shaft! Should out last the tractor!

• boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

#17 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 605 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Mark,

I am glad I went with the new upgraded shaft, it is going to make this XL an even better performer. Coupled with the Vanguard engine this tractor will be a joy to use. I call it "smooth power," the next step is to install the new air shroud and new air filter assembly on the engine.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#18 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 605 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Tom,

I can't wait to get this XL all reassembled and fire it up and see how smooth it is. The engine had a lot of things wrong with it, the stator was bad one of the coils was out of adjustment and was to tight to the flywheel, the carb and intake were really dirty because it had been run without a filter on it even though it was only used in the winter to plow snow it still was really dirty.

I believe the vibration had broke the filter housing. It seemed like the engine was running on one cylinder, wiring was melted and the wire to shut off the engine was not connected so it was shutting off on the fuel solenoid.

So a little bit of a mess.

• KennyP, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#19 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 605 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 09:50 AM

Thanks KennyP for your comments and thank you for helping me edit the post to separate the pics with the text! This really help to make more sense to the explanation of the drive shaft! 

See I told you guys KennyP is my go to tech guy!

I hope this post will be helpful for other guys that have this similar Drive shaft design.

Edited by logmillingman, February 01, 2018 - 10:27 AM.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#20 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 605 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 11:19 AM

Ok Guys now that the drive shaft is completed I can begin to talk about the other repairs and up grades I am doing with the XL 1669L.

One of the things that really drives me when I am working on a tractor is what did the tractor look like when it was new and how did it feel and sound when it was run and trying to recapture that in the rebuild. The other thing that I like to do is do upgrades on the tractor when I see a design problem. These things would be keeping with the spirit of the design or would have been something that was available either for the tractor or the component say like the engine, I try to keep everything original so it looks stock. So these items tend to be mechanical and part of the function of the tractor and not the esthetics. You will see an example of this in this post.

The first item that I am up grading is the air filter. I PM Husky about the air filter problem I was having a while ago and he said his XL's all had the round filter cartridge. The problem I have on my XL is that housing sticks out and bends metal fire wall out. Pics 5265 - 5263

DSCN5265.JPG     DSCN5263.JPG

So I found a square filter housing on e-bay from a 1989 Vanguard to replace the round filter. If you look in the manual it shows both filter types for the XL 1669 tractors and the parts manual actually shows this square filter in the diagram. Pics 6561 - 5662

DSCN5661.JPG     DSCN5662.JPG

The next thing is the air shroud for the engine,:

The vibration from the drive shaft broke out the bolts that mount the fire wall to the front of the engine. So I got a shroud from e-bay from the same guy I got the filter from. I asked him if he could send me the shroud fron the same engine that the filter came off of because the rubber air inlet boot between the filter and the engine is different. Pics 5657 - 5658 - 5659 - 5660

DSCN5657.JPG     DSCN5658.JPG

DSCN5659.JPG     DSCN5660.JPG

I really liked dealing with this guy from e-bay he sent all the tin for the engine and put all the nuts and bolts in a zip lock bag to mount everything. Also all the mounting hardware for the square filter because it is different then the round filter, and that hardware is no longer available from Briggs. Pics 5663 - 5664

DSCN5663.JPG     DSCN5664.JPG

Edited by KennyP, February 01, 2018 - 12:33 PM.

• KennyP, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#21 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 605 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 01:59 PM

I finished painting the drive shaft this weekend and took it down to the power equipment place I work with. All the parts that I ordered from e-bay have come in, now that the drive shaft is complete the tractor will be re assembled later this week.

Here are some pictures of the painted drive shaft.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5683.JPG
  • DSCN5684.JPG
  • DSCN5685.JPG
  • DSCN5686.JPG
  • DSCN5687.JPG
  • DSCN5688.JPG
  • DSCN5689.JPG

Edited by logmillingman, February 05, 2018 - 05:54 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, TomLGT195, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#22 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,269 Thanks
  • 1,119 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 12:53 PM

You did a great job on getting that done. He really did a nice job. Lets hope it all goes together well for you.

• logmillingman said thank you

#23 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 605 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 04:06 PM

I wanted to give you guys an update; I just talked to Tom down at Devone Lane Power Equipment they reinstalled the engine with the new drive shaft.

Two problems came up: First, because the drive shaft is larger in diameter then the original the shaft it was rubbing against the steering gear.

Second, When they tried to start the engine there was no spark.

To fix the clearance problem they pulled the engine and flipped the engine mounts upside down to drop the engine chassis by 3/8" that provided the clearance necessary for the steering gear, that is fine because I only plow with this tractor. 

The spark problem ended up being that some one had put aftermarket coils on the engine and there was no shut off wire so the engine was shutting off by the fuel solenoid, the wire harness was not correct it was missing the diodes in the wire harness. They put a pair of used Briggs coils on the engine along with the proper wire harness that they had in there used Briggs parts bin.

This tractor had a lot of problems that I did not know about when I purchased it, so I am glad I didn't pay a lot for it. I'm just glad I have been able to take care of all the problems.

Tom said that they started the engine on the bench once they had fixed everything properly and it ran really good, they were concerned that there might be other issues inside the motor, so that is good news. They set all the proper clearances on the coils and the valves.

Tom's comment is that this tractor has been a real pain in the neck working through all the things that people had done to it over the years that were not repaired correctly. I guess that happens sometimes, It will be a nice running machine when they are done with it.

• TomLGT195, 29 Chev, Paulgo and 2 others have said thanks

#24 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,269 Thanks
  • 1,119 posts

Posted February 21, 2018 - 07:42 AM

Yes they tend to be worked on a lot over the years. Unfortunately your previous owner did not do things right. You will love to drive and mow with it. I loved mine for mowing it was great. The only reason I sold mine was the upgrade to the DGT 1700 for mowing. Best of luck with yours.

• logmillingman said thank you