• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 597 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 08:27 PM

I wanted to do an update on the work that is being done on my Bolens XL 1669L tractor.

I took a trip down to visit Bruce at General Machine in Palmer, Massachusetts, Bruce is building a whole new drive shaft for the 1669L the original one had to much wear and was not a good candidate for rebuilding.

The original drive shafts that came on the Bolens were square with tubular sleeve and 600 series universal joints, some had grease fittings and some did not. Although this drive shaft is adequate to handle anything the tractor would be called on to do, they would typically last about ten years depending on use and would need to be rebuilt.

The new drive shaft that Bruce is building has a similar telescoping design but has a grease fitting in the tube with a anti wear guard material between the two pieces of the drive shaft. This new shaft has 1000 series universal with grease fittings. According to Bruce the anti wear material will not wear out and with the grease inside and the anti wear material in the tube it allows the shaft to move freely when torque is applied to the drive line. The square design with metal to metal tend to lock and bind and will tend not to adjust a little when various torque is applied to the drive line. 

Note: Bruce is still has more work to do on the drive shaft to complete it.

Here are some pictures of the drive shaft and Bruce's machine shop. If any of you new England guys need any drive shaft work PM me and I will give you Bruce's phone number.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5642.JPG
  • DSCN5641.JPG
  • DSCN5639.JPG
  • DSCN5640.JPG
  • DSCN5643.JPG
  • DSCN5644.JPG
  • DSCN5645.JPG

Edited by logmillingman, January 29, 2018 - 08:55 PM.

• Alc, hamman, blackjackjakexxix and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 507 Thanks
  • 474 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 09:21 PM

That looks great! Looks like a nice shop, it even has a hot tub? HMMM
  • boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

#3 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 597 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Rainier, Bruce does excellent work, The hot tub is for after a long hard day working in the machine shop.  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,840 Thanks
  • 9,165 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 12:14 AM

Nice to find a shop that can do that work.

I haven't been to Palmer, Mass in many years. Did you notice if N. B. Pease is still in the old railroad warehouses? They were a great source for n.o.s. parts for old cars and trucks. When I was actively working on 1950s trucks, in the 1980s, I made alot of trips to them. Good Luck, Rick

• logmillingman said thank you

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 8,598 Thanks
  • 2,832 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 09:20 AM

I wanted to do an update on the work that is being done on my Bolens XL 1669L tractor.

I took a trip down to visit Bruce at General Machine in Palmer, Massachusetts, Bruce is building a whole new drive shaft for the 1669L the original one had to much wear and was not a good candidate for rebuilding.

The original drive shafts that came on the Bolens were square with tubular sleeve and 600 series universal joints, some had grease fittings and some did not. Although this drive shaft is adequate to handle anything the tractor would be called on to do, they would typically last about ten years depending on use and would need to be rebuilt.

The new drive shaft that Bruce is building has a similar telescoping design but has a grease fitting in the tube with a anti wear guard material between the two pieces of the drive shaft. This new shaft has 1000 series universal with grease fittings. According to Bruce the anti wear material will not wear out and with the grease inside and the anti wear material in the tube it allows the shaft to move freely when torque is applied to the drive line. The square design with metal to metal tend to lock and bind and will tend not to adjust a little when various torque is applied to the drive line. 

Note: Bruce is still has more work to do on the drive shaft to complete it.

Here are some pictures of the drive shaft and Bruce's machine shop. If any of you new England guys need any drive shaft work PM me and I will give you Bruce's phone number.

Nice looking new shaft.  I am no drive line expert but I was always taught that the yokes on the end of a driveshaft have to be lined up or else they will fight with each other as the shaft rotates resulting in problems and vibration.  One of the reasons a rectangular shaft is used in a lot of PTO applications is that so the joints will always be aligned with each other (Tube Frame lawn mower deck PTO shaft for example).  In the first picture the yokes on the new shaft are 90 degrees to each other unlike the original shaft that has the yokes in line with other - just an observation.  You may want to verify that this is correct with your drive line guy.   

• boyscout862, logmillingman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 597 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 09:23 AM

Thanks Rick, I did not notice if they were still there or not, when I talk to Bruce this week I will ask him and let you know.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 597 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 09:35 AM

Thanks Stew,

Very observant, again you have a good eye for detail. If you look at the picture again the rear yoke has not been pressed on and welded yet, Bruce just placed it on the table so I could get a picture of it, he is still fabricating it.

Once it is finished he will put it on the balancing machine which is that long green machine that looks similar to a lathe that was in the pictures.

The tractor should be up and running by the end of the week just in time for a snow storm on Friday.

• KennyP, boyscout862, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#8 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,268 Thanks
  • 1,118 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 08:15 AM

Now that looks really nice. I had to build a drive shaft for mine too. I like the anti wear coating hope it holds up. I had a gentleman by the name of Bruce do some brazing on all my front end loader tubings that I bent for my J14. I wonder if this is the same guy. Your drive shaft will last a very long time with the grease fittings in place, nice work.
  • boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

#9 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 597 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Husky, I believe you are from New Hampshire, Bruce from General Machine is in Palmer Mass. which I believe is exit 7 on interstate route 90 Mass. turnpike.

I will be picking up the drive shaft later today, Bruce is adjusting the run out and doing the balance work this morning. He says it is coming out great, the first joint is running at 0.005 which he says is amazing but the other is running out more so what he does is he grinds a spot on the weld puts down a bead at that spot and he says the heat will adjust the universal on the shaft and then he checks the run out again until he gets it where it needs to be. He has to let the shaft cool and settle in before he can check it again.

Bruce is a perfectionist, that a good thing to be when your working on drive shafts. Also I would add that his prices are very reasonable too.

Stephen

Edited by logmillingman, January 31, 2018 - 09:20 AM.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 597 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 05:26 PM

Rick, I asked Bruce if N.B. Pease was still in business in Palmer Mass. He said yes he is an old guy now but still running N.B. Pease and he is at the same location. His first name is Nelson and Bruce said he still takes all the things apart and has everything neatly organized and labeled. Bruce says he takes his hat off to Nelson he is an amazing guy to still be at it after all these years. 

• KennyP, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#11 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,826 Thanks
  • 2,813 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 07:33 PM

Looking good. I presume he does automotive driveshafts ? Will need one eventually for the model A. Plus another reason to make a visit back out to your place. 

• KennyP, boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

#12 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 597 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 09:47 PM

Hi Tom, good to hear from you, just picked up the new D. shaft today I'm getting ready to post some pictures. It would be great to see you again stop in any time. Had not had time to work on any of the tractors I got from you, to busy winter was on the way and then I had to do some much needed repairs on the XL 1669L.

Bruce does do automotive drive shafts, he is very good at what he does and he is reasonable too. If you want his contact info let me know.

Stephen

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 597 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 10:39 PM

I picked up the new drive shaft today, Bruce did an excellent job and I am extremely happy with the work he did. This will make a big difference in the performance of the XL 1669L.

Bruce used Spicer 1000 series universal joints on the new drive shaft. The rear joint is pressed into the shaft tube and than welded, the front joint is welded to the male end of the shaft.

DSCN5673.JPG     DSCN5674.JPG

DSCN5675.JPG

This is the front end of the drive shaft which has the shaft that bolts to the flywheel of the engine.

DSCN5676.JPG

The rear universal has been turned down in the lathe to except the hydro cooling fan, it has a slot for a woodruff key and two set screws.

DSCN5677.JPG

This shows the grease fittings in the u joints.

DSCN5678.JPG

This picture shows the blue material which is referred to as "Glide Coat" and according to Bruce this material will not wear out and it allows the shaft to move freely when under load conditions. It is important when painting the drive shaft not to paint the glide coat.

DSCN5680.JPG

This is the shaft grease fitting that applies grease between the two sections of the shaft and helps to cushion and protect the shaft, it also helps the glide coat with shaft movement.

DSCN5681.JPG

The weld spots on the shaft are for balance and the heat from the weld helps to true the run out of the shaft. When the shaft was finally finished the final run out across the entire tube of the shaft was 0.015 well with in the maximum tolerance.

DSCN5682.JPG

Edited by KennyP, February 01, 2018 - 09:34 AM.
Put pics with text

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#14 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,342 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 11:32 PM

Nice looking driveshaft!  Sometimes it pays to spend a bit more money on something to make it work better and last long.

#15 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,826 Thanks
  • 2,813 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 04:47 AM

That'll be a nice upgrade. Well worth it.