• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 04:39 PM

I tried to start my PK 2414 this morning and it would not crank. I had just put a new big battery in the tractor less than a month ago.  So I charged my new battery as it was down.  The voltage on the battery after charging was 13.2.  When I started the tractor the voltage was 13.0.  I figure it is a charging problem. Is there a way to check the rectifier?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0201.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,144 Thanks
  • 31,415 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 05:10 PM

The regulator requires a good ground (body to frame) .  Check that first.  If that is good, then pull the 2 wires off that go to the stator.  Start engine and run full rpm's and with a voltage meter set to AC, put the 2 meter leads to the 2 stator wires.   AC voltage should be a minimum of 28VAC.   If this stator voltage is good, and you don't get over 13VDC coming out of the regulator (check with meter set to DC from output of regulator directly to battery), then the regulator is shot. 

IF the regulator checks out ok, then you have a bad connection between the regulator and the battery.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and coxhaus have said thanks

#3 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 05:45 PM

I took the regulator off to clean the frame for a good ground and I noticed the terminal from the ignition switch is burnt.  Can I have a problem with the ignition switch?  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0202.jpg

Edited by coxhaus, January 29, 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,144 Thanks
  • 31,415 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 06:12 PM

Of course that's possible, but test everything 1st to remove doubt before looking further.

• coxhaus said thank you

#5 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 06:16 PM

Well I used a wire brush on a drill and cleaned the frame bolt holes for the rectifier.  I also cleaned the tabs on the rectifier.  I then cleaned the  copper in the plug with contact cleaner and a ice pick.  I am getting 13.8 volts now with the tractor running.  Is that good enough?

• olcowhand said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,144 Thanks
  • 31,415 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 06:24 PM

Well I used a wire brush on a drill and cleaned the frame bolt holes for the rectifier.  I also cleaned the tabs on the rectifier.  I then cleaned the  copper in the plug with contact cleaner and a ice pick.  I am getting 13.8 volts now with the tractor running.  Is that good enough?

Yep! Good enough!

• coxhaus said thank you