• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 870 Thanks
  • 421 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 07:33 PM

I was able to get some pictures of the snow thrower today when I unloaded it.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5646.JPG
  • DSCN5647.JPG
  • DSCN5648.JPG
  • DSCN5649.JPG
  • DSCN5650.JPG
  • DSCN5651.JPG
  • DSCN5652.JPG
  • DSCN5653.JPG
  • DSCN5654.JPG
  • DSCN5655.JPG
  • DSCN5656.JPG

• LPBolens, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#17 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,276 Thanks
  • 3,336 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the pictures - looks like your chain is near the rear limit of adjustment as well.  Your thrower appears to be missing the upper bolt that goes through the top plate to support the top of the gear box bracket.

• logmillingman said thank you

#18 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 870 Thanks
  • 421 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 08:47 PM

Thanks Stew, you have the eagle eye I didn't notice that at all, I will get a bolt in that before I use it. I am going to check the rest of the thrower too. I will double check that chain adjustment also.

Thanks again Stew

#19 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,276 Thanks
  • 3,336 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Stew, you have the eagle eye I didn't notice that at all, I will get a bolt in that before I use it. I am going to check the rest of the thrower too. I will double check that chain adjustment also.

Thanks again Stew

I would suggest that you remove the top cover and insert the bolt from the bottom so the thread is sticking up and then use an internal toothed retainer on the thread of the bolt to hold the bolt in place - I find it makes removing the top much easier as all you need is a long wrench inserted through the rear opening to hold the head to loosen the nut.  I don't bend all that well any more and my big hands don't fit well inside the small opening to periodically check the gear lube level so I usually remove the top cover to make getting the plug out of the gear box much easier for me.  It also makes it easy to clean out any snow and ice that has accumulated around the PTO shaft and gear case and apply a light coating of grease around the chute opening where it passes through the upper plate.  If you look at the parts manual list the two carriage bolts that hold the chute control support show as being installed from the bottom and the nuts on top - again a couple of internal toothed retainers on the threads will hold then in place so that gravity does not aggravate you as you loosen the nuts.  With the nuts on top you can just undo them (the two on the carriage bolts and the one on the upper bracket bolt), the two bolts at the front and the six bolts along the side of the top and lift the top off with the snow caster still attached to the tractor (also allows easy access to the front p.t.o. u joint grease fitting).  With the nuts for the chute control support on top it makes adjusting it a lot easier as well I find.

#20 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 870 Thanks
  • 421 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 10:33 AM

Wow Stew great information you basically trouble shot the whole snow thrower. I can tell you that as far as rotation of the auger and gear box it is smooth as silk, no feeling of anything having any wear like bearings or gears or chain problems.

How is that plastic liner you put in your chute working out this winter?  Stephen

#21 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,276 Thanks
  • 3,336 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 11:46 AM

How is that plastic liner you put in your chute working out this winter?  Stephen

The plastic is standing up great and keeps the snow from sticking inside the chute - so far no problems.

In the spring I am hoping to disassemble my snow caster and paint it and identify the auger and rotor drive shaft bearings and replace them if necessary or at least have them on hand for the future.  Will also take a link out of the chain and inspect other things (like the gears) closely for wear and repair or replace as necessary.  At that time I will clean up the inside of the chute and paint it to keep it from rusting and then reinstall the plastic.  When I start I will put the chain in some used motor oil and let it sit while I get things cleaned up and painted.  Once everything is ready I will let the chain drip for a day hanging above the used oil bucket and then reinstall it - that way it should be all set to go in the fall.

#22 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,331 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 12:55 PM

Very nice attachment, looks almost new. I used spray on chain lube and sprayed it every time. It's cheap insurance  and the more I sprayed it the more that it found it's way into the rollers on the chain. 

#23 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 870 Thanks
  • 421 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 12:35 PM

I want to thank everyone for all your helpful comments and information It is like a road map for me to follow as I get this attachment ready this spring for winter service this next winter. I hope to be able to get back on the 1456 H14 this spring and finish the rebuild, painting and new decals. That is the correct snow thrower for that series tractor.

I have some square back snow casters but plan on using two of those for show only along with the Bolens 1000 and the 1966 Bolens 1050 once they are restored, and probably the Bolens 650. The hydro's like the 1256, 1456 H14, the 1225 I got from TomLGT165 and the XL 1669L will be working tractors since where I live it is easier to use a hydro than a gear driven model. And my wife finds them fun to drive so It gets her involved with the hobby. :wave:

Stephen

Edited by logmillingman, February 01, 2018 - 09:32 PM.

• KennyP said thank you