• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Knife OFFLINE  

Joe Knife
  • Member No: 59190
  • 118 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 07:05 PM

Hey guys I had bought a battery back in October at Tractor Supply, it had 280 CCA but it was not taking a charge any longer so today I returned it. Rather than blindly guess, can anyone tell me what size battery SHOULD be in this tractor? In terms of cold cranking amps, I guess, since that's the only stat that changes between their different offerings.

• hamman said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,942 Thanks
  • 47,128 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 07:06 PM

I'd get the biggest one you can in that size!

• poncho62, Gtractor, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 2,119 Thanks
  • 1,784 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 07:22 PM

Kenny is right on.....I don't know about the earlier Fords, but my LGTs will take a medium sized car battery 550 CCA or so.......Get the largest that will fit

Ford145-1 010 (Medium).jpg

Edited by poncho62, January 28, 2018 - 07:25 PM.

• hamman, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,369 Thanks
  • 7,116 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 07:58 PM

:iagree:   Some times we have trouble getting enough CCA and staying within the physical size limitations. The engines with the compression release built in can get buy with a lower CCA battery but not always the best choice.  I buy Interstate batteries for all my equipment.  Local dealer, have been buying there for 25 years and have never had a problem. 

• jms180, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,184 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 08:53 PM

The 640ca  550cca Exide car battery in my JD 214 is from 2007 and still works. It is getting a bit weak and It must of froze the other week when it was really cold. I had to bring it in and put it on the charger to get the tractor started but It still works. Both sides are bulging from it freezing. I'm amazed it even took a charge.

I have a 2 year old 230cca Wallmart battery sitting in the corner of the shed that's junk allready and a pretty expensive 8 year old Dulalast Gold 425ca 340cca that just kicked the bucket this fall.

Don't buy a cheap battery they only last 2 maybe 3 years if your lucky. The lower the CCA the quicker they freeze in the winter. Then usually do not recover once they freeze.

Buy the Biggest car battery that you can that will fit in the tractor. The battery in my JD 214 is a SLi35 size. Same sized battery that's in our old 1998 Honda Accord.

Edited by EricFromPa, January 28, 2018 - 08:55 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,942 Thanks
  • 47,128 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 07:18 AM

The older Jakes/Fords had the battery between the frame rails below the dash. Only the GT sized batteries will fit. The Huskee (by Exide) is available at TSC with 420 CCA. I have several and am quite happy with them.

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,598 Thanks
  • 2,909 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 09:44 AM

I'm having the same dilemma. Our Homelite T-16 H eats batteries. The Generator is putting out 13 volts and everything works fine, it just can't take the small LGT batteries. I was at Walmart the other day ( it's 30 miles away ) and measured a smaller auto battery to replace the one I have in the tractor now. I know that they recommend a 22 nf battery, however I think I want something bigger. The electric lift works slow after awhile but it does work. On a full charge with the battery in it now all the lights work as they should but if I use the electric lift the " GEN " light comes on all dim and the lift slows. I measured the battery in our 2006 Chevy Aveo and it will fit with no problem. The side terminals do not bother me because they can be adapted to work. I just think I need a battery with a little more capacity and greater CCA to start and maintain. Next trip to Walmart next month I will get a battery and put it in. I still have the original bolts and battery hold-downs to use on the new battery. Thanks for posting this. It reminded me of our problem.                                                                                                                    Roger 

• KennyP said thank you

#8 Mncdriver OFFLINE  

Mncdriver
  • Member No: 88944
  • 30 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 07:16 PM

In my Jake 800 I used a Battery out of a fully dressed Harley Davidson.  The motorcycle had stereo, radar detector, and of coarse all the standard lights, with some LED's on the trunk.  It is an AGM, so the vibrations are no problem.  I think it is about a 500CCA battery, just a little taller than a standard issue lawn battery.  just another option to think about

• KennyP said thank you