27 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,632 Thanks
  • 1,575 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 03:00 PM

Hi all, I use my oxyacetylene torch a lot in the shop for heating and bending metal, and it works good but acetylene is getting so expensive that I cringe now when I turn the valve on, so I've thought about trying an older small forge I bought at auction many years ago it sits in the storage area of my building, of course I'd have to try finding and buying coal for it but it might be fun to play with or not maybe the coal smoke would be as bad as smoking?

• dropped82, Sawdust, Leonard VanCamp and 2 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,560 Thanks
  • 9,434 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 03:42 PM

If you burn hard wood in a wood stove, you can screen the charcoal out of the ashes and use the bigger pieces. It will need to be ventilated if inside. Take a look on Youtube for some advice. In a pinch, You can use a piece of steel beam or railroad track for and anvil. WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, jms180, dropped82 and 5 others have said thanks

#3 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 402 Thanks
  • 205 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 03:50 PM

Pictures! Does it have a hand crank or electric blower? Our Tractor Supply store sells nut coal cheaply. We could get an address for low sulphur bituminous coal supplier if needed. A lot of it comes from West Virginia, or some of the best does.
  • boyscout862, dropped82, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,632 Thanks
  • 1,575 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 04:01 PM

Hi boyscout862, yea I thought about just trying charcoal, yea ventilation would be needed I do have an anvil made from some 10/12" I beam and it works pretty well I use it all the time.

Hi GardnMastr, I'll try and get some pictures of the forge tomorrow its kind of buried behind some junk er I mean treasures it has a hand crank blower on it and that works, WV is a long ways from me so I'll look for a closer supplier :smilewink: 

#5 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,743 Thanks
  • 1,906 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 05:32 PM

I’ve also been interested in building a forge. Plan was this spring after I add my new lean to on the back of my shop. Been looking into building one so would enjoy seeing some pics. I don’t have too much to add to this but I would imagine coal would be cheaper than acetylene. I also use a piece of a railroad track as a pounding and bending tool. Works great!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • boyscout862, Sawdust, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,632 Thanks
  • 1,575 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 05:36 PM

Hi dropped82, the forge I have is a small free standing  one maybe 24" in diameter cast iron pan maybe 4" deep with the blower attached to the bottom with air coming in the bottom center. Its been awhile since I've looked it over.

• boyscout862, dropped82, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#7 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,772 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 05:45 PM

I have a piece of a rail track for a anvil and got a air tank I'm going to turn into a propane forge. 

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,152 Thanks
  • 10,212 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 06:34 PM

I once found a blog of an old Finnish man forging an axe head using a wood fire.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,560 Thanks
  • 9,434 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 06:36 PM

Hi dropped82, the forge I have is a small free standing  one maybe 24" in diameter cast iron pan maybe 4" deep with the blower attached to the bottom with air coming in the bottom center. Its been awhile since I've looked it over.

Many years ago there was an article in Mother Earth News Magazine showing how to make a forge from a truck brake drum. I think it was a hair dryer that was used as a blower. Good Luck, Rick

• dropped82, Sawdust and MNGB have said thanks

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,201 Thanks
  • 3,368 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 09:48 PM

I had a home made single axle dump truck brake drum forge that I used for straightening Lawn Boy mower blades years ago but it cracked and got scrapped. Mower blades are alot cheaper now a days. Toro and Lawn Boy blades used to be between $40-$60 in the 80s and you could only get them at a dealer. 

Edited by EricFromPa, January 28, 2018 - 09:51 PM.

• Alc, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,310 Thanks
  • 6,393 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 10:02 PM

Buy yourself a carbon arc torch. Much more reasonable to use than a Oxy-Acetylene torch. 

I use mine for heating metal quite often with good results. They can be found on flea-bay or yard sales for a small investment. 

Edited by Cvans, January 28, 2018 - 10:04 PM.

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,632 Thanks
  • 1,575 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 10:45 PM

Hi Chris I have one of those torches used one a lot when I was a kid but just don't think about now that I have a gas welding unit I just may get it out and play with it tomorrow thanks

• boyscout862, dropped82 and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,310 Thanks
  • 6,393 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 01:06 AM

I just may get it out and play with it tomorrow thanks

Hope it goes well for you. For me it was just getting in the habit of using it. The gas torch had become such a habit that I would just grab it without thinking. 

Edited by Cvans, January 29, 2018 - 01:07 AM.

• boyscout862 and dropped82 have said thanks

#14 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,160 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 03:23 AM

I used a forge in high school. They had high quality coal burnt down to coke. I was told it produced lots of smoke while making coke. When i was allowed to use it they had already produced the coke. The coke burned very hot and produced little smoke. The project I was given was to make a gate hook eye for a gate. Just enough to get a taste. In later years I built my own from an old charcoal barbecue. It was just a round pan about18" diameter and 3" deep.  I lined the bottom with brick, set up a blower to supply air up through the center and was good to go. Unfortunately the only coal I had available was local. It would do the job but produced very little coke for a large amount of coal. The smoke high sulfur and toxic. Sulfur dioxide will kill you fairly quickly so it hasn't gotten much use. Top quality coal is a must. It amazed me how little coke it took to heat small pieces of steal to white hot. Of course white hot is much to hot to be of much use. It can be enjoyable and very useful work when you have the right coal and good ventilation. Don       

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#15 greenb6901 OFFLINE  

greenb6901
  • Member No: 85456
  • 200 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 05:35 AM

I took down an old building on a fellows farm and put it back up on my place a few years ago. I was given everything inside for taking it down, including a complete forge setup. The guy used an old upright vacuum cleaner for the blower. I got bars of tool steel along with lots of other items. My pride and joy is the old smithies anvil and tools. I picked up one of those propane weed burners from HF and made a nice forge. Set one u and have fun. Nothing like keeping the old crafts alive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks