• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 1RUSTYNUT OFFLINE  

1RUSTYNUT
  • Member No: 83716
  • 111 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 09:59 PM

I have been working on my super 5.6 and need  a good close up photo of the linkage set up for differential lock if any of you guy's have one  and wouldn't mind posting.  I have a manual but it is hard to tell from the diagram .

Thanks 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180123_171623.jpg
  • 20180123_171641.jpg
  • db2  (9).jpg
  • db2  (22).jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,265 Thanks
  • 7,598 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 11:18 AM

How’s these pictures

Attached Thumbnails

• C25C694D-D965-4BB8-93F2-DB201E628914.jpeg
  • FBC0E90D-23E2-4CA9-8D31-17C6D5A8D397.jpeg

Edited by Alc, January 28, 2018 - 11:21 AM.

• twowheeler63, Mark 149 J. and 1RUSTYNUT have said thanks

#3 1RUSTYNUT OFFLINE  

1RUSTYNUT
  • 111 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 07:52 PM

Thanks Alc just what I was looking for. That's the way I thought it was suppose to go but wasn't sure. I very much appreciate your help.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#4 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • Member No: 89546
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 02:32 PM

Hello Gentlemen, although I have visited this site many times to read and learn information, this will be my first post. I was happy to see a recent post to know someone still visited from time to time that can hopefully help me with some of the questions I might have.

I too have a super 575, like 1rustynut above, that has the locking differential just like the photos Alc posted. My cable works and the linkages works also, but I am not able to notice anything actually happening with the tractor itself that makes it easier to turn at the end of the rows. How can I check to see if this is actually working like it should.

Thanks in advance for any information you two guys, or others, can provide me.

• twowheeler63 said thank you

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,265 Thanks
  • 7,598 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 11:38 PM

Welcome to GTTalk ! I've been lucky to never having any problems with my differential lock so no help there I can tell you when it's off the wheels will turn indenpendley but once the lever is thrown there not complety lock but maybe 1/4 turn before full lock up ,from what I've read that's so you will be able to make slight adjustment while going down the garden rows .
  • GeeWhiz_71 said thank you

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,160 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 01:02 AM

I never considered a differential lock on a DB. Years ago I had a DB with a 6" turning plow that I turned up my garden with. It was all I could do to turn it around at the end of the garden. Now you tell me some of them had a differential lock. I have to wonder if I was breaking my back for nothing. And I have no way of finding out because that tractor went away about 1990. Don

#7 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 16, 2018 - 12:56 PM

Alc, Thanks for your reply to my post! Your description of the 1/4 turn before full lock up is exactly what mine does. Although my cable and linkage is moving I am almost convinced now that the differential is not disengaging. Maybe someone on here will have experienced this and can provide some insight into it for me.

Secondtry, I certainly understand where you are coming from. Without it disengaging I have to walk briskly or almost jog to spin it around at the end of the row.

• twowheeler63 and secondtry have said thanks

#8 1RUSTYNUT OFFLINE  

1RUSTYNUT
  • 111 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 10:08 PM

Alc, Thanks for your reply to my post! Your description of the 1/4 turn before full lock up is exactly what mine does. Although my cable and linkage is moving I am almost convinced now that the differential is not disengaging. Maybe someone on here will have experienced this and can provide some insight into it for me.

Secondtry, I certainly understand where you are coming from. Without it disengaging I have to walk briskly or almost jog to spin it around at the end of the row.

I am certainly no expert on these myself as this is my first. My problem was when I disassembled it to clean and paint  the tractor I forgot to take a good close up photo of how it was connected and after two or three days or weeks I forgot exactly how it went. Thanks to Alc , his photos had me fixed up . I  put mine on jack stands and operated the lever by hand while I was turning the wheels to see if it was working or not. You could tell when is was locked or unlocked. The lever does not move much to engage or disengage.  Pull up on lever to disengage. Definitely makes it easier to turn when unlocked.   

I have tried it  out a couple of times to see how my cultivators work and I am looking forward to plowing the garden with it this year. I have also completed clean up , replaced bearings and repainting of the weed cutter. Used it to mow down the winter greens with . It worked well on the greens, haven't tried it on anything else yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180214_185950.jpg
  • 20180214_190000.jpg

• Alc and GeeWhiz_71 have said thanks

#9 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• Member No: 3509
  • 39 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 10:23 PM

Hello Gentlemen, although I have visited this site many times to read and learn information, this will be my first post. I was happy to see a recent post to know someone still visited from time to time that can hopefully help me with some of the questions I might have.

I too have a super 575, like 1rustynut above, that has the locking differential just like the photos Alc posted. My cable works and the linkages works also, but I am not able to notice anything actually happening with the tractor itself that makes it easier to turn at the end of the rows. How can I check to see if this is actually working like it should.

Thanks in advance for any information you two guys, or others, can provide me.

The Super 5.6 (575112) has a Wisconsin, while the Super 575 (575135) has a Briggs/Stratton. It's the only difference, just in case you didn't know.

• GeeWhiz_71 said thank you

#10 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:48 AM

I am certainly no expert on these myself as this is my first. My problem was when I disassembled it to clean and paint  the tractor I forgot to take a good close up photo of how it was connected and after two or three days or weeks I forgot exactly how it went. Thanks to Alc , his photos had me fixed up . I  put mine on jack stands and operated the lever by hand while I was turning the wheels to see if it was working or not. You could tell when is was locked or unlocked. The lever does not move much to engage or disengage.  Pull up on lever to disengage. Definitely makes it easier to turn when unlocked.   

I have tried it  out a couple of times to see how my cultivators work and I am looking forward to plowing the garden with it this year. I have also completed clean up , replaced bearings and repainting of the weed cutter. Used it to mow down the winter greens with . It worked well on the greens, haven't tried it on anything else yet.

I was actually doing some cleaning and painting on mine this past Saturday. It finally stopped raining down here and was a rare warm day for early March. I unhooked my linkage and tried to rotate the shaft by hand. I could sorta feel it meet resistance rotating it upward (counter clockwise) and also downward (clock wise). It only moved maybe about 90 degrees, but after rotating it up and down I would move the unit and both wheels would lock after 1/4 turn. I could not ever get them to free wheel without locking. Any ideas on what could be going on?? Anyone ever tore into the differential to make any repairs?

#11 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:51 AM

The Super 5.6 (575112) has a Wisconsin, while the Super 575 (575135) has a Briggs/Stratton. It's the only difference, just in case you didn't know.

You are correct sir! Mine indeed has the Briggs engine, and has the (915.575135) visible on the nameplate tag as the Model No.

Any experience with the differential lock issue I seem to be having?

#12 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:54 AM

If I decide to open the gear box to take a look for possible problems with the differential lock does anyone know what size the axle seals might be so I could have those to replace the old ones? Possible part #'s? The one on the large side seeps a little as it is.

#13 1RUSTYNUT OFFLINE  

1RUSTYNUT
  • 111 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:04 PM

I was actually doing some cleaning and painting on mine this past Saturday. It finally stopped raining down here and was a rare warm day for early March. I unhooked my linkage and tried to rotate the shaft by hand. I could sorta feel it meet resistance rotating it upward (counter clockwise) and also downward (clock wise). It only moved maybe about 90 degrees, but after rotating it up and down I would move the unit and both wheels would lock after 1/4 turn. I could not ever get them to free wheel without locking. Any ideas on what could be going on?? Anyone ever tore into the differential to make any repairs?

Were you rotating wheels while holding pressure on the lock upward? I think up is unlock if I remember correctly. Try supporting it on jack stands with wheels clearing the ground pull up and see if it unlocks and stays while you are holding it in the upward position  Again the lock on mine does not have to move much to lock or unlock.  As far as seals, sorry no help here. look through my manual no parts listing . may find manuals  on the site here.  

• Alc, twowheeler63 and GeeWhiz_71 have said thanks

#14 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• Member No: 3509
  • 39 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 01:35 PM

I have owned both tractors, and the 5.6 was quite a bit stiffer to unlock, but probably due to non-use.

There are manuals available, if not here, then surely on the FB page for David Bradleys.

• Alc and GeeWhiz_71 have said thanks

#15 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 7 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 04:04 PM

Were you rotating wheels while holding pressure on the lock upward? I think up is unlock if I remember correctly. Try supporting it on jack stands with wheels clearing the ground pull up and see if it unlocks and stays while you are holding it in the upward position  Again the lock on mine does not have to move much to lock or unlock.  As far as seals, sorry no help here. look through my manual no parts listing . may find manuals  on the site here.  

I had some more time this weekend to work on my DB. I locked some visegrips onto the differential shaft and rotated the shaft as I rolled the tractor around and around. After a couple of minutes it finally released, "HOORAY"! Turning the shaft upward to unlock is correct. Once it unlocked I could feel the spring inside that puts just a bit of resistance on the shaft. Now I can get my linkage adjusted to make it rotate enough to unlock and it will be MUCH EASIER to turn at row's end. Thanks for your information. It urged me to be persistent in trying to release it and it actually worked out this time. Now if I can get that axle seal replaced I will be good to go.

• Alc and twowheeler63 have said thanks