• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 06:13 PM

My carburetor in my PK 2414 quit idling.  Gas tank is clean fuel hose is new, it must be the carburetor. I went to Walmart and picked some carb cleaner.  They were out of the cheap Walmart brand so I ended up with CRC carb cleaner for twice as much.

I decided to do the quick cheap carb clean.  I pulled it off and took the basics apart.  I sprayed all the passage ways out.  I checked the float while I had it apart and it looks as good as I can tell. The float needle had a nice black rubber tip with no indents.  I could not find a manual on this site for my carb so I just did by seat of the pants work. I put the carb back together and it idles beautifully.  I just used the default settings of main screw 2 turns out and idle adjustment 1 1/4 turns out as described in the PK manual under tune up.  

The only problem I had was cleaning the carb before I took it off using brake cleaner.  I was thinking brake cleaner would not take the paint off like carb cleaner.  I was wrong.  The paint crinkled  and started flaking off on the carb.

I did not even fine tune the jet adjustments. I left them at their starting positions.  The tractor runs better and idles nice now.  It was worth the hour it took to clean the carb.  

• olcowhand, lyall, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,609 Thanks
  • 7,916 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 06:45 PM

Brake cleaner really cleans Everything off! Even softens up rubber and gasket parts, plus any little paint gunk can slide down into a passage, dry hard there and be another problem to find. Glad it's working for you, makes it worth it when is right, heh!

• boyscout862 and coxhaus have said thanks

#3 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 07:17 PM

I did have to be careful and not get paint in the carb.  I was lucky in the gaskets all held together so I did not replace any.  

I was originally thinking I was going for carb parts on Monday.  But it turned out to be real easy with no parts required.

Edited by coxhaus, January 27, 2018 - 07:20 PM.

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,433 Thanks
  • 3,123 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 10:54 PM

carb parts for that carb are easy to find just in case you do ever need them..... and not terribly expensive,,,, was there any slop between the throttle shaft and housing?

• coxhaus said thank you

#5 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • 120 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 01:34 AM

carb parts for that carb are easy to find just in case you do ever need them..... and not terribly expensive,,,, was there any slop between the throttle shaft and housing?

No slop with the main shaft.  We have a lawn mower shop in Austin Tx which stocks the Kohler parts.

The carb cleaned up so easily that I hope I won't need many parts.  I  bought a spark plug and air filter when I bought spindle bearings for my mower deck.