• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JD455noob OFFLINE  

JD455noob
  • Member No: 89083
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 09:39 PM

Does anyone know why a 455 would seem to run slower than normal during normal operating with no pto? It starts fine, seems to still have all the power. I had it in the shop a few weeks ago for a bad thermostat and a leak in the transaxle and when I got it back it seems that it doesn’t move as fast as it did. It’ll accelerate quickly and then slow down to a consistent speed. any ideas?
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 14,158 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 11:37 AM

I would check the hydro linkage. There could be some slack somewhere, wear or binding perhaps. There is also a damper that can cause troubles if it wears out. The parts diagrams should be on jdparts.com.

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,309 Thanks
  • 7,095 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 12:13 PM

Not to be a smart A - -  but I move that way all the time any more.  Start out quick and then down to half speed or less.

• jms180, hdg4400, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,750 Thanks
  • 1,673 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 04:26 PM

Not to be a smart A - -  but I move that way all the time any more.  Start out quick and then down to half speed or less.

Me also only can go in low gear  :rocker2:

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,369 Thanks
  • 10,138 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 05:54 PM

How's the transmission fluid level? Was it purged after it was opened up to fix the leak?

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#6 JD455noob OFFLINE  

JD455noob
  • Member No: 89083
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 06:12 PM

The fluid level is good, I’m gonna say it probably wasn’t purged. Would that cause it to move slower?

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,369 Thanks
  • 10,138 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 08:09 PM

Only initially, the system will purge any air in it after a max of a few minutes of run time.

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 11,236 Thanks
  • 6,062 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 08:45 PM

The fluid level is good, I’m gonna say it probably wasn’t purged. Would that cause it to move slower?

Yes-  The hydro would be noisy (Pump)  Start the tractor and engages the tranny bypass lever behind the RR wheel.  It will purge air out of the pump.motor..  Just don't do it for a long time as the fluid will heat up and bad things happen after that..  

What type of fluid did you put back in the tranny??  

Pull the seat pan and inspect the linkage for wear and adjust/replace as needed..

Next is a pressure test on the pump if not any problem or improvement..  

All I got for now..

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#9 mowingmachine OFFLINE  

mowingmachine
  • Member No: 89690
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 18, 2018 - 09:52 PM

Does anyone know why a 455 would seem to run slower than normal during normal operating with no pto? It starts fine, seems to still have all the power. I had it in the shop a few weeks ago for a bad thermostat and a leak in the transaxle and when I got it back it seems that it doesn’t move as fast as it did. It’ll accelerate quickly and then slow down to a consistent speed. any ideas?

. I did a replacement of the hydrostatic pump of a John Deere 455 diesel as well the reason for it was the hydrostatic pump had internal issues that meant that when they got hot the oil did not flow consistently out of the hydrostatic pump into the transaxle the pressure and flow drop by 38%. apparently this is a common flaw on a 455 diesel The exact diagnosis must be done by dealer as they are the only ones that the complete guage package in order to be able to do that hope this helps thanks. The short term first fix though is to dump all the transaxle oil install a new filter and refill it and make sure it’s absolutely up to the top of the film work when operating it thanks