• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 793 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted February 28, 2018 - 01:44 AM

Well I've been making progress on this Steiner, while jumping between my Massey Ferguson 1855, Case 224, and Ford LGT195 project, plus a Yamaha Waveblaster that I'm rebuilding and a Yamaha BW200 until I found another great deal on a Steiner, and then ANOTHER one after that.  Too many projects and too much fun, but I love it.  I now have 3 Steiner tractors and lots of attachments.  About a week and half ago I picked up a Steiner 420 with the optional 3 point hitch and roll bar (what a score!) and a 30" hydraulic scoop bucket, plow, and 60" mower deck.  It has a nice running Linamar LX790 engine (I'm guessing this was a replacement engine) but the rest of the machine had some cob job repairs (some of the worst I've seen) and it was used pretty hard.  The next Steiner I picked up, yesterday, was a S20 with a 48" hydraulic scoop bucket, a 60" mower, rear weight boxes, and a relatively low hours Kawasaki 25HP V-Twin engine that was swapped in by a local dealer.  It's a VERY clean job from what I've seen so far.  The only issue with this tractor is that the seller said that he thought the hydraulic pump was no good.  It has a little over 2000 hours on it, so I don't know exactly what's wrong with it until I take it apart.

So now I have lots of Steiner tractors and attachments that I acquired in a short amount of time, and I'm thrilled.  My plan is to take all 3 and make 1 really nice one and sell the attachments that I don't need.  Then I may use the remaining parts to put a second Steiner together down the road, or just put it up for sale.......I can't say for sure at this point, but I do know that this will be a very useful machine.  More pics to come this week.

Edited by jpswift1, February 28, 2018 - 01:44 AM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#32 Reeferdoctor OFFLINE  

Reeferdoctor
  • Member No: 89533
  • 41 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 28, 2018 - 06:21 AM

Jpswift1. My you do have quite a few projects going on. That's not a bad thing though. It never fails that after you buy something another 3 go up for sale. Ha ha. Post some pics when you get time please. If and when you go to get rid of some of your duplicate attachments look me up.

I had a set back on my project. I verified both the old and new engine spun the same counter clockwise direction before installing the new diesel but neglected to take in to account that the original gas engine was mounted backwards "flywheel facing forward". That means the pump is spinning the wrong way now. whoops all I can say. I thought it was going to easy. I can't put diesel in backwards because of radiator, fan, water pump, alt, etc. I stewed on it for a week and decided to do a chain drive system. Put the pump sprocket on the outside of the chain loop to reverse direction. Got the sprockets and chain yesterday. Hopefully this weekend I can get that put together.
  • KennyP, jpswift1 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#33 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 793 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted February 28, 2018 - 10:48 AM

Jpswift1. My you do have quite a few projects going on. That's not a bad thing though. It never fails that after you buy something another 3 go up for sale. Ha ha. Post some pics when you get time please. If and when you go to get rid of some of your duplicate attachments look me up.

I had a set back on my project. I verified both the old and new engine spun the same counter clockwise direction before installing the new diesel but neglected to take in to account that the original gas engine was mounted backwards "flywheel facing forward". That means the pump is spinning the wrong way now. whoops all I can say. I thought it was going to easy. I can't put diesel in backwards because of radiator, fan, water pump, alt, etc. I stewed on it for a week and decided to do a chain drive system. Put the pump sprocket on the outside of the chain loop to reverse direction. Got the sprockets and chain yesterday. Hopefully this weekend I can get that put together.

Oh man, that's a big hang up, but at least you have a solution in mind.  It seems like custom builds like this are ALWAYS about jumping hurdles, but in the end it's really worth it.  

On another note, I came across this ad on Craigslist and I think I'm going to attend this event.  If you're not too far, it might be a good one for you too.

00101_i1Vbju49Ljs_1200x900.jpg

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,898 Thanks
  • 31,941 posts

Posted February 28, 2018 - 07:15 PM

I'd love to go that event, but a bit further than I feel like driving these days.

• KennyP and jpswift1 have said thanks

#35 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 793 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 02:48 AM

I'd love to go that event, but a bit further than I feel like driving these days.

I wish you were closer, it'd be nice to meet up and chat about Massey Ferguson stuff, even if it was at a Steiner meet.  I really don't know what it's all about, but I figured I'd see and maybe check the local Craigslists on the way down to see if there are any deals I can't say no to........I need counseling, I think I may have an addiction.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#36 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 793 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 08:46 PM

I've been slowly (very slowly, because of this snow that's still on the ground) making progress on putting one very nice Steiner together out of all of the 3.  Right now I have the S18, and two newer models, an S-20 and a 420.  Between all of them I ended up with the 3 point hitch, roll bar, 60" blade, 30" scoop bucket, 48" scoop bucket, and four 60" mower decks.  Now here are some small updates for you guys......

-I ordered LED lights, marker, tail, clear rear work/reverse lights, and headlights.  In case anyone has a Steiner and wants some relatively inexpensive factory size headlights, here's the link: https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

-I have lots of 22x11-8 Goodyear Rawhide III tires from all my 6 wheel amphibious ATV's that I work on, so I'll be using these instead of the 21" Goodyear Rawhides that came on the Steiner from the factory.  The 22" Rawhide III tires offer much, much better traction than the 21" Rawhides.

max2_tire22_3.jpg

-I removed the best pieces of sheet metal to use on the one Steiner that I'll be putting together and I'm going to have them sandblasted and primed.

-I got a pair of NOS Steiner hood decals off ebay.

-The last Steiner that I bought, the S-20, had a relatively low hour 25HP Kawasaki V twin that was swapped in, and whoever did the swap did a good job and used factory Steiner parts that would have added a lot to my project cost if I were to have done it.  I believe the gentleman that I bought it from said a dealer did it for him if I remember correctly.  The engine hadn't been run in a while and it didn't run when I tried it.  Lots of mice made it their home while it was parked and it STUNK like mouse pee so bad.  I removed the engine, cleaned it up, and I got it running after some tinkering.  It was missing some parts like the top of the air cleaner so I ordered it, as well as some basic tune up parts. 

-The category 0 three point hitch ball ends were rusted solid, so I bought some new ones through Wal-Mart of all places.  I'm not a huge fan of them, but they had them the least expensive I could find anywhere.  I just ordered them not too long ago, but now it says "out of stock" on their website for some reason.  But anyway, I cut the rusted old ones off and I'll weld the new ones on and then I should be all set with a nice working category 0 three point hitch.  I also wire wheeled and broke all the rusted parts free on the three point, because it looked like it hadn't been used in sometime on the 420.  I'll also have all these components sandblasted and primed.  I will use my cat 0 four foot box blade and my cat 0 five foot landscape rake on the Steiner.  This little tractor will be great for dirt work and when I use the front bucket, having a heavy (nearly 300lb) rear attachment hooked to the 3 point will act as a great counterweight.

https://www.walmart....-Cat-0/55551370

Next, I will remove the transmission pump out of the S-20 because the previous owner said it would not move at all.  I'll take it apart and see if it's a simple fix.  If it is I'll use this one (hopefully it's just a broken roll pin which happens in the Sundstrand 15 units), but if it's something major, I'll use the pump from the S18.  As soon as the weather breaks, which it doesn't seem like that's anytime soon, my friend is going to pressure wash all the grease and manure off the frame and bottom of the tractor.  I'll get a fresh coat of paint on all the metal (I might go with an industrial yellow instead of the factory Steiner red), and get my tires mounted and then work on reassembly.  Pictures to come this weekend.

• olcowhand, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#37 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,051 Thanks
  • 2,901 posts

Posted March 24, 2018 - 06:30 AM

Jeff, where's the pics??

• jpswift1 said thank you

#38 Reeferdoctor OFFLINE  

Reeferdoctor
  • 41 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 09, 2018 - 03:52 AM

Jpswift1 sounds like you're making good progress. Did you get to go to the Steiner swap meet? It was a little far for me.
I gained some on my project. I got the gear drive in and it worked great. Got all the gauges in and plumbed/wired up. Now working on making the hood. I was also thinking about painting it yellow. I mainly run cat equipment and thought it would look good cat yellow. I'll try to post some pics if I can figure out how again. Lol.
  • jpswift1 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#39 Reeferdoctor OFFLINE  

Reeferdoctor
  • 41 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 09, 2018 - 03:53 AM

Pic of the gear and chain drive to reverse rotation direction. Gauges and start of the hood

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180303_150110.jpg
  • 20180406_011827.jpg
  • 20180406_011736.jpg
  • 20180406_040505.jpg

Edited by Reeferdoctor, April 09, 2018 - 03:56 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#40 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 793 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted April 10, 2018 - 10:56 AM

Pic of the gear and chain drive to reverse rotation direction. Gauges and start of the hood

That looks GREAT!  You're moving a last faster than I am.  I didn't make it to the swap meet though.  I like your Idea with doing your Steiner Cat yellow.  I'm actually doing the same thing....great minds think alike, haha.  Here's a little (poorly done) sketch I did in MS Paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• steiner.png

• olcowhand and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#41 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 2,841 Thanks
  • 1,584 posts

Posted April 10, 2018 - 11:07 AM

I like the color choice!

• jpswift1 and Reeferdoctor have said thanks

#42 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 793 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted April 10, 2018 - 11:23 AM

I like the color choice!

Thanks.  It's something a little different (I like different) and it makes it look like a little industrial machine.  Almost like a big Case IH or Massey Ferguson tractor that state highway departments use, which have painted "industrial yellow".

The color I'm using is Rustoleum "Tuscan Sun".

post-53964-0-90895100-1463172569.jpg

Edited by jpswift1, April 10, 2018 - 11:23 AM.

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#43 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 793 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted April 11, 2018 - 01:02 AM

Jeff, where's the pics??

Jeeze, I'm really slacking on the pics, sorry guys.  I'll get on that this week now that the snow has finally melted.  Another 3" fell last night, but at least it's gone because the weather was slightly above freezing today.  Hopefully all that BS is done for the season!

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#44 Reeferdoctor OFFLINE  

Reeferdoctor
  • 41 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 11, 2018 - 04:55 AM

Jpswift1. That's going to look sharp.

#45 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 5,804 posts

Posted April 11, 2018 - 07:24 AM

The color I'm using is Rustoleum "Tuscan Sun".

post-53964-0-90895100-1463172569.jpg

The Tuscan sun is about the closest match to 73-77 Sears Suburban Aztec gold