I've been slowly (very slowly, because of this snow that's still on the ground) making progress on putting one very nice Steiner together out of all of the 3. Right now I have the S18, and two newer models, an S-20 and a 420. Between all of them I ended up with the 3 point hitch, roll bar, 60" blade, 30" scoop bucket, 48" scoop bucket, and four 60" mower decks. Now here are some small updates for you guys......
-I ordered LED lights, marker, tail, clear rear work/reverse lights, and headlights. In case anyone has a Steiner and wants some relatively inexpensive factory size headlights, here's the link: https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649
-I have lots of 22x11-8 Goodyear Rawhide III tires from all my 6 wheel amphibious ATV's that I work on, so I'll be using these instead of the 21" Goodyear Rawhides that came on the Steiner from the factory. The 22" Rawhide III tires offer much, much better traction than the 21" Rawhides.
-I removed the best pieces of sheet metal to use on the one Steiner that I'll be putting together and I'm going to have them sandblasted and primed.
-I got a pair of NOS Steiner hood decals off ebay.
-The last Steiner that I bought, the S-20, had a relatively low hour 25HP Kawasaki V twin that was swapped in, and whoever did the swap did a good job and used factory Steiner parts that would have added a lot to my project cost if I were to have done it. I believe the gentleman that I bought it from said a dealer did it for him if I remember correctly. The engine hadn't been run in a while and it didn't run when I tried it. Lots of mice made it their home while it was parked and it STUNK like mouse pee so bad. I removed the engine, cleaned it up, and I got it running after some tinkering. It was missing some parts like the top of the air cleaner so I ordered it, as well as some basic tune up parts.
-The category 0 three point hitch ball ends were rusted solid, so I bought some new ones through Wal-Mart of all places. I'm not a huge fan of them, but they had them the least expensive I could find anywhere. I just ordered them not too long ago, but now it says "out of stock" on their website for some reason. But anyway, I cut the rusted old ones off and I'll weld the new ones on and then I should be all set with a nice working category 0 three point hitch. I also wire wheeled and broke all the rusted parts free on the three point, because it looked like it hadn't been used in sometime on the 420. I'll also have all these components sandblasted and primed. I will use my cat 0 four foot box blade and my cat 0 five foot landscape rake on the Steiner. This little tractor will be great for dirt work and when I use the front bucket, having a heavy (nearly 300lb) rear attachment hooked to the 3 point will act as a great counterweight.
Next, I will remove the transmission pump out of the S-20 because the previous owner said it would not move at all. I'll take it apart and see if it's a simple fix. If it is I'll use this one (hopefully it's just a broken roll pin which happens in the Sundstrand 15 units), but if it's something major, I'll use the pump from the S18. As soon as the weather breaks, which it doesn't seem like that's anytime soon, my friend is going to pressure wash all the grease and manure off the frame and bottom of the tractor. I'll get a fresh coat of paint on all the metal (I might go with an industrial yellow instead of the factory Steiner red), and get my tires mounted and then work on reassembly. Pictures to come this weekend.