• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 789 Thanks
  • 615 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 01:50 PM

I picked up some steel from Metal Supermarket from their discount rack ($1 per pound, you can't beat it).  I made the components to mount the 415 hood and the hinges and it worked great.  Not bad for just using a tape measure, Sharpie marker, and a die grinder.  I also found the fender/splash guards in a pile of parts the previous owner gave me with the tractor.  Next I will be getting parts sandblasted, working on mounting the Kohler Command, and then finishing up going through the Sundstrand hydrostatic pump.

• olcowhand, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#17 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,049 Thanks
  • 2,900 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 06:30 PM

Pics man, we need pics.       

• olcowhand and jpswift1 have said thanks

#18 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,370 Thanks
  • 10,139 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 11:26 PM

Has anybody asked for more pics in this thread? Other than post #'s 2,3,5,9,11,15&17?
  • KennyP, TomLGT195 and jpswift1 have said thanks

#19 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 789 Thanks
  • 615 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 04:00 AM

Haha, I'll snap some pics tomorrow guys.  It's nothing too interesting right now, but it's still progress.  I added some ebay LED headlights (the same ones I used on my Case 224 that I'm putting together.  I got the Kohler Command 23HP to fit, and the only real issue was with the fuel pump on the valve cover hitting the hood.  I simply unscrewed the plug in the block and I'm adding an NPT fitting to run to a pulse fuel pump rather than a mechanical one on the valve cover.  And the issue that I thought was going to be a rather significant one was the leaking Sundstrand hydrostatic pump.  It was leaking out of the bottom.  I see someone replaced a seal before me at one point, but when I opened the entire unit up, the lower bearing that supports the forward/reverse pin/rod had a crack in the upper part of the race and the needle bearings were lifting out when I tilted the unit.  So, a bad bearing makes a seal go bad, and even if someone replaces the seal, the bad bearing will eat the new one and that's just what happened.  The internals of the pump, besides the bearing look GREAT otherwise barely any wear.  I ordered a seal/o-ring/gasket kit and 2 new Torrington needle bearings (for the top and bottom) of the rod that the forward/reverse lever mounts to.  I'll get the entire unit together and cleaned up next and start working on cleaning/degreasing and replacing other wear parts such as Heim joints, bad hyadraulic lines, etc.

• olcowhand, KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#20 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 789 Thanks
  • 615 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 09:04 PM

Here's a few pics of my LED headlights from ebay that I fitted, the hood hinges (All just roughly cut out at this point), and the internals of the Sundstrand pump.

Attached Thumbnails

• STP62202.JPG
  • STP62204.JPG
  • STP62205.JPG
  • STP62206.JPG
  • STP62208.JPG
  • STP62207.JPG

• olcowhand, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,896 Thanks
  • 31,939 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 09:07 PM

I want to see pics of the powertrain setup!  Very curious as to it's layout in the front.  Internals look great!

• KennyP, jpswift1 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#22 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,887 Thanks
  • 15,514 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 11:04 PM

I want to see pics of the powertrain setup!  Very curious as to it's layout in the front.  Internals look great!

I want to see the setup also PLEASE!!

Going to be a very cool build for sure.

• olcowhand, KennyP, jpswift1 and 1 other said thanks

#23 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 789 Thanks
  • 615 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 11:18 PM

Thanks guys.  The rear of the Steiner is set up with just like any other tractor with a Peerless 2500 transaxle, but the front is mounted on it's back.  The pump is mounted right behind the engine and then lines run to the motors which drive each of the two Peerless transaxles.  It's a really simple and stout design.  These look to be very well built machines, but I just can't see why they're so expensive and it seems like they never come up for sale cheap.  That's why I had to jump on this one.  Mine will look like (and perform like) a newer 415 model after I do the "facelift" and the Kohler Command swap, except I'm going to paint it Rustoleum Tuscan Sun yellow to give it an "industrial" look or like a small construction type machine.  I'm very excited about this project.

I'll get some pictures of the very greasy driveline for you guys.  It's very greasy and dirty because of the leaking pump.  Hopefully I have that problem solved with the new bearings, seals, gaskets, and O-rings.

• olcowhand, KennyP, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#24 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,896 Thanks
  • 31,939 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 11:27 PM

So the pump has a separate oil tank, and the oil in each Peerless is simply for oiling it's internals?  The pump has a single speed/direction rockshaft in it?  

• KennyP and jpswift1 have said thanks

#25 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 789 Thanks
  • 615 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 12:41 AM

So the pump has a separate oil tank, and the oil in each Peerless is simply for oiling it's internals?  The pump has a single speed/direction rockshaft in it?  

The pump has a single speed/direction rockshaft.  Now the other question I cannot answer for certain, but here's what I can tell you about it.  This is a 15 series Sundstrand "split system" set up (see pic below).  I do know that the pump, motors, lift cylinder, and steering cylinder all share the same fluid, but I don't know whether or not each Peerless transaxle shares it too.  On my Massey Ferguson 1855 it does because there's a tube going from the transaxle into the Sundstrand pump/motor assembly, but I don't know if that's the case on the Steiner.  I need to look into this more tomorrow and I'll get back to you guys.

series-15-all-types.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#26 Reeferdoctor OFFLINE  

Reeferdoctor
  • Member No: 89533
  • 41 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 12:42 PM

jpswift1 That's a good looking machine. I just picked up a S-18  a couple weeks ago and am also upgrading the engine. I'm putting a 18 hp diesel in place of the original 18hp gas it had in it. Mine looks a little different than yours though. The throttle lever and gauges are in different places. The lift cylinder and the steering cylinder are on opposite sides. I'm not positive mine is a S-18 though. It was scribed in to the data plate by hand. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project and bouncing ideas back and forth with you and this group.

Here's a couple pic of my Steiner, Now it's a work in progress to. It's not very easy to get a pic of the drivetrain, So I can't get you guys a pic right now either.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180203_143132.jpg
  • 20180204_030753.jpg
  • 20180204_114019.jpg
  • 20180211_094025 (2).jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, jpswift1 and 1 other said thanks

#27 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 789 Thanks
  • 615 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 11:41 PM

jpswift1 That's a good looking machine. I just picked up a S-18  a couple weeks ago and am also upgrading the engine. I'm putting a 18 hp diesel in place of the original 18hp gas it had in it. Mine looks a little different than yours though. The throttle lever and gauges are in different places. The lift cylinder and the steering cylinder are on opposite sides. I'm not positive mine is a S-18 though. It was scribed in to the data plate by hand. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project and bouncing ideas back and forth with you and this group.

Here's a couple pic of my Steiner, Now it's a work in progress to. It's not very easy to get a pic of the drivetrain, So I can't get you guys a pic right now either.

Thanks for the pics.  We may be able to help each other along with our builds.  I think mine is an older version of the S18 (a 1980 model year I believe).  My data tag was scribed by hand as well.  If you call Steiner, they're very helpful and will give you more information on your tractor. 

I like the idea of the diesel swap.  Are you using a Lovejoy connector to connect the engine to the hydraulic pump?  Please keep us updated on your build.  Unfortunately, mine is going a little slower than I'd like because I'm working on this and 3 other projects at the same time.  I really like the gloss black wheels on your machine, I'm going the same route with mine.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#28 Reeferdoctor OFFLINE  

Reeferdoctor
  • 41 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 02:44 AM

Hey that sounds great. There's hardly any one else out in cyber land with one that I could find. I used the original love joy connector. Centered it up on flywheel and bolted it on. I had to move the pump up and out a few inches to get it to line up. Only have to get 1 hose made so I lucked out there. With the diesel I'm going to have to extend the front by about 13 inches to fit the radiator. Not sure yet it the lift will be far enough out front to work right. I've been toying with the idea of moving the front axle forward to center the weight better anyway. I hope I don't have to though. Have to wait till I get it going to make that decision. My build is going to take a while to "lots to do". I work two jobs so doesn't leave me much time to work on it. I will have to contact Steiner to get more info when I get time. I assumed with Steiner changing hands so many times that the info was lost.
  • olcowhand and jpswift1 have said thanks

#29 Reeferdoctor OFFLINE  

Reeferdoctor
  • 41 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 02:46 AM

Here's how I mated the two using the original parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180204_094133.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#30 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 789 Thanks
  • 615 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 10:29 AM

Here's how I mated the two using the original parts.

Perfect, a Lovejoy coupler.  That's the same route that I went.  

And you're right about Steiner changing hands so many times.....it's hard to keep up with all of it, Textron, Ransomes, etc, etc all held ownership at one time and then it branched off to Ventrac, I can't keep up with all of it.  Fortunately there's an older gentleman that has been there a long time that has been through all the changes of ownership that could help out, although I forget his name.  They'll know who I'm referring to if you call them.

Please keep us updated, I'll do the same.  It's nice to see another vintage Steiner owner out there. 

• TomLGT195 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks