13 replies to this topic

#1 rustman OFFLINE  

rustman
  • Member No: 89373
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 24, 2018 - 09:04 PM

Hello all:
I'm new to this site. I have obtained an economy Jim dandy from one of our tractor club members( actually from his daughter). He disassembled a large portion of the tractor and had a stroke before seeing it completed. I'm not quite sure of the year but I think it's around a 1962-1963, it has the 6 1/2" brake drums on it and I need a right side bull gear and axle shaft for starters. Where can I find these parts? My goal is to see it back together and painted before he passes. The serial # is 9j8371e, I also need misc seals and bearings but I believe they can be obtained from Auto parts stores. Also, when I disassembled the differential to clean it there appears to be the remains of a pinion seal in the housing in front of the pinion shaft, does anyone know the part number or even if there's supposed to be a seal there? From looking at the pinion shaft I don't know where the seal would run. Thanks in advance for any information you can give the "new guy"!

#2 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,625 Thanks
  • 1,569 posts

Posted January 24, 2018 - 11:08 PM

Hi rustman, welcome to the group and Power King ownership for parts e bay is a good place to check there are lots of parts listed here's one listing

https://www.ebay.com...dAAAOSwCXxZrsjd

The serial number of 8337 would make it a 1961 model yr I'm not sure about the 9j numbers, yes the bearings and seals are standard and can be gotten at bearing stores. Check the manuals section there are many that can be downloaded I think there is a limit of 3 per day for new members.

I'll attach a 1962 sales brochure and IPM they are most likely the same as the 1961 ones

Attached File  1962 Sales Brochure.pdf   10.71MB   15 downloadsAttached File  1963 IPL.pdf   3.28MB   21 downloads

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and rustman have said thanks

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,054 Thanks
  • 2,901 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 04:23 AM

:welcometogttalk::wewantpics:

• boyscout862, karel, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,942 Thanks
  • 47,128 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 04:51 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a fun project.

• boyscout862, MNGB and rustman have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,555 Thanks
  • 9,430 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 08:39 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check our sponsors for parts too. Good Luck, Rick
  • MNGB and rustman have said thanks

#6 Beef OFFLINE  

Beef
  • Member No: 89116
  • 45 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 11:22 AM

Power King Tractor Barn   512 352-7979. Jerry frank ran this but I heard he passed,I heard his son took over.

Jerry work on PK's  for 25+ years. Maybe this will help.

Welcome to the forum !!!

• rustman said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,125 Thanks
  • 10,198 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 01:21 PM

It's good of you to think of your friend. Keep us informed of your progress. There are a bunch of EconoPowerJim  owners on here.

• rustman said thank you

#8 rustman OFFLINE  

rustman
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 04:24 PM

Greetings :
Thanks for the replies, I will start calling around for parts. When I figure out how to post pictures I will do so, it's a real basket case, been sitting in a yard for quite some time, had a tree growing out of the pallet it was on! I've got it torn down the rest of the way and started cleaning parts, now the fun begins!

#9 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 04:36 PM

Power King Tractor Barn   512 352-7979. Jerry frank ran this but I heard he passed,I heard his son took over.

Jerry work on PK's  for 25+ years. Maybe this will help.

Welcome to the forum !!!

I am going to meet Jerry's son Todd on Wednesday at their warehouse to check out what he has to see if I need anything.  It turns out I live about 17 miles from Jerry's warehouse.

• Beef and rustman have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,942 Thanks
  • 47,128 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 04:37 PM

Greetings :
Thanks for the replies, I will start calling around for parts. When I figure out how to post pictures I will do so, it's a real basket case, been sitting in a yard for quite some time, had a tree growing out of the pallet it was on! I've got it torn down the rest of the way and started cleaning parts, now the fun begins!

As far as pics go, click on the link in my signature for a video on uploading them!

• rustman said thank you

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,125 Thanks
  • 10,198 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 05:51 PM

How much interchange is there on that bull gear/shaft?

• rustman said thank you

#12 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • Member No: 89033
  • 86 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 08:29 PM

welcome to the group there are a bunch off amazing and helpful guy' s here

• rustman said thank you

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,238 Thanks
  • 7,584 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 06:26 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !   You might want to look for a parts tractor if yours in need of many parts . It will save you in the long run . There's a ad on CL for 3 JD's in Hillsborough NJ , priced as a dreamer but that's only an asking .  They are around , there was a rough looking JD at Jacktown last Sat. at the Winter Snow Show , I don't remember if there was a price on it or not . I've had good luck putting " wanted" ad in the local free paper ( before CL lol )   I was looking for a bullgear for my JD ,  I ended up buying a PK w/fel needing a trans , a PK that was very rough but lots of attachments from another , and someone had just the bullgear that fixed mine , all from different parts of NJ . Good Luck

Edited by Alc, January 26, 2018 - 06:27 AM.

#14 rustman OFFLINE  

rustman
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 07:45 PM

Greetings all:
Thanks for all the replies. One question I have is are the bull gear and axles from a later pk-jd with the 3" brake drums interchangeable with an earlier tractor with 6 1/2 brake drums, I know the hubs and housings are different. There's a couple of complete housing and axle assemblies on eBay( thanks MNGB),since I don't know how scarce these parts are but I'm willing to buy one and just use the bull gear and axle if need be.Thanks in advance and pics coming soon!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: economy jim dandy