32 replies to this topic

#16 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 09:23 AM

What a great find:bounce::bounce::bounce: Congratulations!!

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Sixty bucks!!! You are so lucky man. I'm drooling over that. There has been a 1450 for sale near here for months and the guy wouldn't take 800 for it. It dosen't look as nice as yours. Great find.

#18 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 08:50 AM

:smile1:thanks for the info, advice and compliments guys!
yeah, $60 is what paid for it.....
my best friends dad used to run a big farm and small engine shop up intil retirement about 15 years ago. i used to work for him at said shop for a few years. he still works on small engine stuff for fun and a hobby (like me). but when something is a little more sticky than he wants to work on, i get the job. i like the chalenging projects that nobody else can't or doesn't want to figure out. he figured after an hour trying to get this massey going (just trying to get it to at least turn the engine over) he didn't want to work on it anymore. the owner didn't want to spend a whole lot on it considering it was sitting outside behind the garage for almost 5 years (sat beside the garage for 5 before that), and asked me to make an offer figuring i could use it for a few parts.
i jokingly said 50 bucks with a smile on my face. he said to up it to 60 and we have a deal. john had already dropped it off at my place to have a look see at the problem before the owner and i had a chat about it or before i even had a chance to look into the problem.
now the problem: it needs ALL the safety switches replaced. from what the original owner said, the tractor was in the garage when the garage got a whack of lightning. he said the tractor would run fine when it wanted to crank over but that was intermitent, acted like a dead battery or no contact. he had it to a couple of shops but they were less than happy to look at it as it wasn;t a new tractor and was a bit dirty so says the owner. he tried to figure it out himself and that was when the tractor would not crank over at all. tractor went to stay outside after that, a new one was ordered to replace it.
fast forward to last week after the owner got sick of mowing round it and noticed johns ad in the fonebook for fixing the unfixable he decided to give it a try. the rest is history...:bounce:

#19 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 09:11 AM

Well thats an interesting history lesson

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 10:33 AM

Nice story behind that tractor. Good luck sorting it out. I can't believe it sat outside all that time and dosen't look rusty!!

#21 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 11:14 AM

thanks! it does have a little rust on it, and a bit of moss growing out of the seat:smile1: but nothing that can;t be fixed with a little beer and elbow greese:D
i did get it running on monday. had to jump the safety switches to do so. also had to throw a new solonoid, points, condensor, coil, plug, oil and battery in it. also threw the carb in the ultra sonic cleaner and changed out the fuel line and filter while waiting on the carb. i didn't do a rebuild yet, just a cleaning, but i have the parts on order to get it fully rebuilt. hopefully by friday they'll be here:shoot2:
the engine sounds fantastic. started right up with no smoke or funny noises and is smooth all the way up to max rpm's. the muffler is a little thin and rusty but quiets the noise enough so you can hear whats going on.
the hydro pump is basicly perfect. no noises except for a little whine while it was still cold. the fluid/filter in it was changed out while at johns as he didn't want it to start on old dirty oil. no leaks any where from this machine. it is missing one small pin that goes through the front coupler on the pump shaft but so far thats it. i used a small bolt and nut to take up the space for now. all the hoses are in excelent shape. even the fan is in fine condition:bounce:
the deck? well, it is very siezed up. haven't had a chance to take the top off yet so i don't know what i will find. it's in good shape, nothing but a little surface rust and the usual scuffs and scratches. thats this weekends project:sleep:

#22 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:41 AM

The 55 series always came with 2 valves and levers. even without 3 pt. 3rd valve was an option. All to 50 series I saw have 2 valves as well.

My uncle bought a 1655 new with only one valve and another friend bought a 1650 Snapper new with only one valve or at least with one lever.

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 08:45 AM

It's real nice to get a machine with all the major components in good condition. It will make a great GT for years to come. Those Kseries engines are a work of art IMO. They were designed to be easy to repair and last a long time.

#24 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 10:51 AM

oh yes i like the k series engines alot:smile1: they seem to make a good amount of power compared to today's newer larger twin engines. just glad when i poped the hood it wasn't a hh140/160 tec. i would have puked if i seen that. thank gawd they didn't put them in there:bash:

i hate those freaking tecumsehs......:shoot2:

Edited by brokenbudget, July 07, 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 11:16 AM

ALL that I can say is WOW!

#26 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 11:28 AM

more pics:smile1:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

oh yeah i forgot to mention the aircleaner top is missing. i'll grab one from the local small engine hoarder/crazy guy this weekend. if he isn't yelling at bushes again:bounce:

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 02:20 PM

Brokenbudget, I hate to have to tell you this, but that machine was stolen from my place a couple months back, and now you'll need to return it to my place!! I'll do right though & give you your $60 back when it arrives! :rofl2::bs::smilewink:

#28 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 02:30 PM

Very nice tractor.That transaxle looks exactly the same as the one in my old gilson.

Got any pics of that mustang?I Love the old 60s and early 70's mustangs.

#29 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 03:39 PM

olcowhand, no problem:smile1: but with the canadian dollar being rather strong, the exchange rate will shoot the $60 way up. way way up:D

i think i have some pics of that 67 somewhere. of course the car has been in pieces for every pic taken.
pain in the you know where restomod. nothing has been easy on that mustang!:wallbanging:

heres a couple of crapy pics of the engine, it was just pieced together for fitment at the time:blush2:
Posted Image
Posted Image
the 289 was built by 'the cylinder head factory' in cornwall ontario (best place to have a ford small block built period). i built the tranny (c4). lots of good stuff in that tranny, should be no problem holding the measly 395hp the engine made at the 'factory':smile1:.
it will still be using the 8" (yes 8") rear as we have never seen the need to add extra weight in that area. the 8" is actually a very good rear to use with the small blocks.
the car has been solidified with complete frame connectors both front to back and side to side which meant heavily modifying the floor. we also added the california bar and shock tower tie in. the old man and i have already done the shelby mod to the front a-arms to get the handling back. she still wears drums!:blush2: but they came off of a fairlane and are bigger (can't remember as of now). the last car we did this to stopped excelent.
just need to throw in the mustang 2 front and do some finishing touches before it gets taken to the glass place, muffler place (i bought a magna flow kit for it-- very good quality--much better than the flowmasters i've had before), then atrip to the interior place to have THEM instal that p i t a. of course, the headliner needs to be in there before they instal the glass:mecry:i hate doing headliners...

#30 whitelt120 OFFLINE  

whitelt120

• Member No: 5024
  • 17 Thanks
  • 119 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 08:49 AM

IT looks great good pick