16 replies to this topic

#1 Bellevillerod OFFLINE  

Bellevillerod
  • Member No: 89285
  • 8 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 02:00 PM

Hi all

Well I should introduce myself, I'm Rod from Michigan. I'm a Tool maker by trade working in the auto industry in Detroit. Many hobbies all outdoors stuff, and I like to refurbish anything old. I recently became the owner of two SS16's. A 1974 & 1976 they came with a 10" plow, 3pt hitch, two decks 42&48, Dozer blade, wheel weights, chains, front weight and a spike harrow. I bought a piece of land from a lady and these where in a shed, left for me to dispose of. The condition of all of this equipment is great, I cleaned the carb on the 1976 tractor changed the oil added a new battery and it started right up.

I had it out today driving it, well playing with it and when I pushed the clutch/brake I felt a pop. The clutch refused to return and I found I had broken the return spring. So I have been on this site from the day after I found the tractors reading everything I could find. Got the manuals for almost all my stuff. I see that there are people here that have lots of knowledge with these. So #1 what do I use to replace my broken one? & #2 How big a job is it to get in there to fix it? Any tricks, suggestions I'm open to anything that will get me back behind the wheel. 

Thanks in advance great site lots of info on here.

Rod

• Jazz said thank you

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,418 Thanks
  • 45,945 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 02:21 PM

:wave:  Welcome to the forum! I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,517 Thanks
  • 1,567 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 04:16 PM

Welcome to the form I am sure someone will come along that has the same tractors as you and they may be able to help you.

#4 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,394 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 04:24 PM

Welcome.. I also have a MIGHTY SS16 however not run into the issue. Help should be along soon..

#5 Bellevillerod OFFLINE  

Bellevillerod
  • 8 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 05:34 PM

Well Jazz I hope these tractors are indeed Mighty..lol. The reason I bought the property that got me the tractors was to put in a feed plot for Deer. It butts up against my land directly behind me. It's funny but when her husband was alive I never remember him using the tractors. But then again in 76 I was 16 years old and had other things on my mind. So IF these can pull that 10" plow and turn some dirt I will be happy. I have already got a set of Kenda Executioners 26x12x12 for the back of one of them. Still trying to find a good tire for the front, not sure what would work best for that kind of work. Going out here in a few to start ripping it down to get the broken spring off at least I will have a size to go from.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,418 Thanks
  • 45,945 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 06:04 PM

I've done a little snooping and if I am looking at the right spring it was used on both the suburbans and the ST/16 models also. I am assuming this is item #13 (6486H) from the 1973 SS/16 manual. Even the 1977 SS/16 had that spring, so one should be easy to come by.

Did a google search of the 6486H spring and it also has this part #: 583771801. It's also NLA.

Site sponsor dealtx is parting an SS/16.

#7 Bellevillerod OFFLINE  

Bellevillerod
  • 8 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for the replies, I will figure out how to get ahold of dealtx. In the meantime I was able to remove the spring. The hook on one end broke so I slowly heated it up with a hand torch and reformed a hook on it. I attached it to a hole in the tractor and with a large screwdriver gave it a series of solid pulls. It seems to be holding up, will reinstall tomorrow and see what happens. It may get me by until I can get another one. The spring is 5/8 dia x 6" overall the wire size is .105 looks like hard drawn steel. Coil length of spring is 4.5" with .750 hooks on either end. I just spent a couple of hours searching and it is unobtainable, I can get close but I have to purchase a 10 pack..lol. The failure of the spring may have been because the brakes are not adjusted right. Tried to stop and ended up jamming down hard to just slow down, then the pop and spring breakage. 

Rod

• boyscout862 and Jazz have said thanks

#8 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,475 Thanks
  • 3,068 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the replies, I will figure out how to get ahold of dealtx. In the meantime I was able to remove the spring. The hook on one end broke so I slowly heated it up with a hand torch and reformed a hook on it. I attached it to a hole in the tractor and with a large screwdriver gave it a series of solid pulls. It seems to be holding up, will reinstall tomorrow and see what happens. It may get me by until I can get another one. The spring is 5/8 dia x 6" overall the wire size is .105 looks like hard drawn steel. Coil length of spring is 4.5" with .750 hooks on either end. I just spent a couple of hours searching and it is unobtainable, I can get close but I have to purchase a 10 pack..lol. The failure of the spring may have been because the brakes are not adjusted right. Tried to stop and ended up jamming down hard to just slow down, then the pop and spring breakage. 

Rod

Brake band has to be re padded, There are several posts on the process in this forum. Also you will also find that some parts on these tractors you can only find used or if lucky NOS.

#9 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 565 Thanks
  • 450 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 11:54 PM

Ok Rod

As you may have discovered it is not easy to get to the spring

That big twin makes it impossible

2 options

1 remove the engine

2 remove the dash tower

but you have to remove the steering wheel

and it may be rusted tight

thus possibly making option 1 the easier route

if you have the old spring you should be able to match length

I know they have a strong pull

I think I have a used one but no clue as to value

#10 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 565 Thanks
  • 450 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 11:57 PM

Forgot to add a local hardware store should have springs

• boyscout862 and Bellevillerod have said thanks

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,864 Thanks
  • 9,175 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 12:37 AM

Welcome to GTT.  There are alot of parts on these old machines that are standard "off the shelf" parts. Hardware stores usually have assortments of springs, electric motor brushes, bearings, bushings, clips, and other hardware to help you. Relining brakes is possible by buying the lining material from Mc Master and glueing or rivetting it on. Some cities still have brake and clutch relining shops that may help you. Good Luck, Rick

• Bellevillerod said thank you

#12 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,600 Thanks
  • 1,217 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 07:20 AM

I got one from Tractor supply for my sears , just took my old one in with me and picked one out as close to it as I could, it was a little bit stiffer then the stock one, but works excellent. 

• KennyP said thank you

#13 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,600 Thanks
  • 1,217 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 07:47 AM

Oh yeah, trick for getting the spring on, ....take the belt off first and allow the lever to go all the way up it will give you that little bit you need to get the spring on, then you can have someone step on the brake and or use a strap to hold the brake down while you put the belt on. 

• Bellevillerod said thank you

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,978 Thanks
  • 5,676 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 08:16 AM

welcome and welcome to the sears family! You made out with the twin suburbans, they are work horses, gas guzzlers, but workers.

a lot of guys just replace with the trampoline springs or the likes. I just went through this with my sears, I found 2 different springs that i thought would work, both were just a tad too sot for me so i just put both on and they work fine.

I have a link in my sig that will describe brake bands for you

• John Arsenault and Bellevillerod have said thanks

#15 Bellevillerod OFFLINE  

Bellevillerod
  • 8 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 23, 2018 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I am heading out today to scrounge one up. The thing is I only wanted to do this job once,big hands small space. I figured that the spring if to soft would cause my belt to slip. Go to strong and it becomes a pain to work the brake and clutch. I thought I had read that working length is around 4 to 4 1/2". I have to check on the brake concern, from the first day that I got them I saw that the parking brake didn't hold. I will have to see if the brakes are worn or if they are just not correctly adjusted. May get lucky as the tractors look really well taken care of. John, Tahoe thanks for the tips that is what I was looking for. Been there, done that and this is how to do it....really helps cuts done on the busted knuckles and foul talk. 1oldbuzz hold on to that spring, if you ever find yourself needing one you will be glad you did but thanks. When finished i'll let you know how she went. 

• TAHOE said thank you