Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote For Feature Tractor February 2018

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Feature Tractor February 2018 (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tractor will be featured in February 2018

1. 1963 David Bradley Model 36 by MGP59DB (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Sears w/loader bt Secondtry (2 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

3. Avco New Idea EGT200 by DH1 (3 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

4. Allis-Chalmers Big Ten by VintageIronCollector (6 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

5. 1983 Case 226 by dropped82 (6 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

6. Bolens 600 by fonz3482 (4 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

7. Bolens 600 by Bolens800uk (12 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

8. 1976 MF 12 by propane1 (4 votes [8.00%])

9. Powr Pup by 1oldbuzz (4 votes [8.00%])

10. 1969 Ford LGT 120 by pick-to-stone (4 votes [8.00%])

#1 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,993 Thanks
  • 5,020 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 10:43 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of february has now officially started and will end the last day of January. This month's theme is original survivors.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of February and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 10 nominations this month. Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below. Good Luck to all contestants. Let the voting begin!!

• jimmy G said thank you

• Member No: 66960
  • 1,693 Thanks
  • 775 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 10:29 AM

I guess it's time to try again with 'Dusty' (the Hoveroni) !

This is a 1963 David Bradley Model 36  -Elite Lawn Tractor it has a B&S 5.75HP motor -143402 mechancal Gov.

When I started into this Hobby back in 2015 it was the David Bradley Suburbans that got my attention . I would run searches on the internet looking for good machines at good prices and could find very few out there. 

One day an ad popped up for this strange machine with the DB name?

00d0d_gCA9hlP0aO4_600x450.jpg 00q0q_b9xuomTFjG9_600x450.jpg 00T0T_8IOxKt3KVNz_600x450.jpg

It appealed to my love for the Odd things  , but was pretty far away and I knew nothing about it. 

I could find little information on the internet either. 

I just could not get it out of my head. 

So after 5 weeks I called the guy in upstate NY and made a deal , It would cost more to get it shipped to me than I would pay for the machine . But I just had to have it. 

It arrived and was pretty 'Dusty' 

2016-02-24 003.JPG 036.JPG 035.JPG

I cleaned it up , and asessed what needed to be done .

The spark was weak and intermittent , I could see a scar on the flywheel like a piece of metal had jammed it . So I found a replacement flywheel/ coil pr. And that fixed the engine . 

001 (3).JPG  002 (3).JPG

I also had to fix 1 of the drive chains and the mower deck though in good condition, was rusting badly , so I cleaned it and painted it for preservation. The main drive belt still has David Bradley embossed into it and is in great condition. My thoughts are that this machine hit something and never ran again. It was stored for many years inside some garage and has little to no wear on the moving parts.

This is a working machine now that I use to mow my yard ! Except for the paint on the deck and the flywheel it is Original right down to the tires , belts and blades and it is a survivor !

M36.jpg 004 (3).JPG

I really get a lot of enjoyment from this machine , I have towed an aerator with it and have a matching trailer .

My Brother says it looks like a Zamboni and a Hovercraft mated to produce this .

Thus the 'Hoveroni' is what we laughingly call it  :D

Edited by MGP59DB, January 07, 2018 - 08:10 AM.

• olcowhand, DH1, DougT and 13 others have said thanks

#3 secondtry ONLINE  

• Member No: 83632
  • 2,041 Thanks
  • 1,469 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 07:16 PM

Oct 12 of this year I was cruising Craigslist and spotted this tractor. It had been posted for about an hour. I don't even remember the asking price but it was low enough that unless the guy was lying about everything it was a good deal/steal. I sent a return email asking when i could pick it up and waited. The next morning I had about given up when I received an email saying Text my father, with a phone #. My cell phone has no service at my house, I have never sent a text and have no interest in learning how. I responded stating this in an email and ask just calling. So now I was back to waiting. Not being the patient type I soon got tired of that and just called the # and was lucky  enough to get through. Told the man my business and he was surprised, Didn't even know his son had posted it yet. Ok I ask when can I come and pick it up. He says he will be home all day. I said give me 2 hours. Hooked up the trailer and hit the road. When I pulled into his drive he was driving it across the yard so I got out and started putting the ramps out for loading. He looked confused, ask do you want to look at it. I said If you weren't lying to me in your add load it up I want it. We sealed the deal, he gave me 2 dead push mowers. I brought it home, rough cleaned the carburetor and she runs fine. changed the fluids and put it to work.                                                                                                                                         Who says Friday the Thirteenth is unlucky.   Don                                                                                                                                                  

Attached Thumbnails

• Sears 18   6 001.JPG
  • Sears 18   6 009.JPG
  • Sears 18   6 010.JPG
  • Sears 18   6 011.JPG
  • Sears 18   6 012.JPG
  • Sears 18   6 018.JPG
  • Sears 18   6 019.JPG

• olcowhand, DH1, DougT and 13 others have said thanks

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,303 Thanks
  • 5,579 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 05:48 PM

I nominate my Avco New Idea EGT200 .

I got this a few yrs ago and have 2 of them, one is in pieces and the other is in running condition. They are battery powered electric tractors made by GE back in 1974. They have 6 golf cart batteries in them for a 36volt system, built in charger, 4 sp transaxle and have 7 motor speeds, foot controlled. To go in reverse you flip a switch and the motor spins backwards in all 4 gears, trans has no reveres gear. You could get with many attachments for them including a sleeve hitch. All powered attachments have there own drive motor, you flip a switch to turn them on and off, mower, snow thrower, tiller, + more.

I have had to make some repairs to get it going, small relays and bad connections, plus I had to buy a battery pack for it, cost a few $$$. But it works, I have cut grass, plowed, cultivated the garden, leveled out the gravel driveway, pushed snow and ran the snow thrower with it. I like it because it is different and it does work, plan to keep it in the same condition, repair things as they break. A survivor.

Attached Thumbnails

• EGT-200.jpeg
  • 001.JPG
  • 007.JPG
  • 001.JPG
  • Eriks plowday 032.JPG
  • Eriks plowday 030.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 003.JPG

• olcowhand, B10Dave, KennyP and 10 others have said thanks

#5 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,424 Thanks
  • 1,857 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 06:14 PM

I would like to nominate my Allis-Chalmers Big Ten. I bought this tractor fall of 2016. The tractor was kind of rough looking and dirty when I got it so I took a lot of time to clean up the dirt and grease and surface rust off of it. It's still original paint I haven't painted anything on it and the only thing that's not original is the engine which was replaced in 1990 by the original owner. He had gotten quite the use out of it because there was several worn out things that needed replacing. The axle shaft and hubs got replaced due to worn keys and keyways.

I got all the original paperwork along with receipts for parts over the years when I bought the tractor. It came with a tiller, garden plow, and snowblower. This is the tractor that sees the most work and wide array of attachments every year but I have it so solid and mechanically sound now that it does a good job at every task I put it up against. The attached photos show everything I've had it doing since I bought it. The last two photos show it when I brought it home and after I finished giving it a bath.

• olcowhand, DH1, B10Dave and 12 others have said thanks

#6 dropped82 ONLINE  

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,612 Thanks
  • 1,853 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 04:08 PM

This is my first try since being a member here.

I nominate my 1983 Case 226. I was perusing Craigslist one day and saw an ad for a Case 222. I went to look at it and sitting in the corner was this 226 with a snocaster. Guy said it was the sweetest running Onan I'll ever hear and to start it. Needless to say I left with both.

This tractor was dealership owned and operated before he had it. It had never had a deck mounted on it and was only used for snow removal. When I got it, it had 490 hours on a functioning meter. It also has the factory installed holding valve. I've since added a sleeve hitch, rear pto, ag tires, and tiller. I also did a little mowing with it. After adding the rear pto, I decided it's only duties now are tilling and snow removal. It makes it to an occasional plowday also. It's a lot of engine for such a small frame tractor so it shines in about everything it does. Still runs like a top. I've never painted a thing. Only wish I have is to find an original white seat. The black frame machines all had white seats.

I'm sure after posting this, I'll think of more things to add.
20170425_203122.jpg 20170425_203130.jpg 20170108_152744.jpg 20170108_152806.jpg
Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, January 08, 2018 - 09:04 PM.

• olcowhand, DH1, B10Dave and 9 others have said thanks

#7 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 04:47 AM

I would like to nominate my Bolens 600. I found this tractor several hours from home and had to chase it down because of the front reel mower attachment. I have never had a reel mower, nor have I seen one for sale locally on craigslist so the truck and trailer got loaded and I was off to get it. When I got to the farm where it was, the little 600 was supposed to be running and ready to test for the agreed price we settled on... Well the tractor wouldn't turn over, the battery was dead. The guy that owned the tractor couldn't meet up with me due to an issue where he worked so when I arrived it was his son showing me the machine. His son found another battery and jumper cables and he fumbled around with the tractor for quite some time before we got it to finally fire. When it did it wasn't running right, I wasn't sure what was going on with it but it wanted to rev up like crazy if you moved the throttle slightly to increase the rpms. So to me the tractor wasn't as described so I tried to haggle a bit to make up for the possible repairs and the battery I'd have to buy. Well the PO wouldn't budge, so I almost walked away from this machine, but I just couldn't walk away and leave the reel mower behind!! Now I'm glad I didn't. When I got the tractor home I was excited to try it out. I paid more than expected for this machine, so I guess I expected more out of it! Plus my wife knew what I paid and the reason I paid more was because I was buying a "running" tractor. Well I got the tractor down off the trailer and was gonna show her my "running" machine by mowing some grass. Well I made it 10ft and it died. It would not restart, and with my wife watching me from the kitchen window I did the push of shame into the garage to start going through the basics. I pulled the gas tank and cleaned it out, rebuilt the carb, new fuel line and filter, new plug and it was alive again!! But the rpms still wanted to run away on me every time I slightly adjusted the throttle. I took the whole carb back off and apart 2 more times and I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on! I finally took a bunch of pictures and posted them up here and the Bolens guru's picked out the problem instantly. The throttle linkage(triangle shaped pivot) was flipped upside down!! So every time I'd move the throttle it would force the governor and the tractor would rev up like crazy! I had to pull the carb again to put the linkage back but after I did the thing ran like a charm!  The previous owner did mention he cleaned the carb on it so I'm guessing he flipped the linkage and didn't realize he did. I was just taking it apart and putting it back the way I found it so I knew no different!  So finally the tractor was ready! So here is my review, This little tractor is so cool to mow with! With the optional electric start(standard was rope pull) the tractor fires up easily. You jump on and you get to experience the added comfort that the optional backrest and seat cushion provide! :rocker2: Then once you hit the lawn and engage the pto the little reel mower and the 6hp briggs will chop through tall grass with ease. The only issue I find with the reel is if your lawn is on the rough side you need to take it slow. The reel is light and if you go fast over rough terrain it will bounce around and give a poor quality cut. But when your on an old cool Bolens, who's in a rush?? Right! Here are pictures from my 1st time mowing with it. I have since installed the missing hood ornament and cleaned the tractor up a bit. Sorry I don't have updated pictures, so these will have to do till spring! Enjoy!! :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• 600 1.jpg
  • 600 4.jpg
  • 600 6.jpg

• olcowhand, DH1, B10Dave and 11 others have said thanks

#8 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63893
  • 1,812 Thanks
  • 1,197 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 02:33 PM

I would like to nominate my early Bolens 600 . As some of you know I bought a Bolens 600 from Ohio and had it shipped over to Devon, UK last year. I came across this old survivor on EbayUSA and I realised it was not too far from where Dave South aka Old Buzzard's home. I saw a post written by him that he would be happy to help out any fellow owners interested in buying Bolens in his area. I made contact with him and after a few emails shot back over the Pond, he agreed to help me collect it and get it packed up for shipping at my expense. Dave went over and gave it a quick look over and said that it was a gem if a find as the steering had no slop whatsoever and was a genuine old survivor as it was saved from a scrap yard. Dave explained to the seller that a guy from England was interested in buying the 600 and that he, Old Buzzard, would collect it on my behalf if I won the auction. Anyhow, I made a bid on it and was surprised no one else went for it. Dave duly collected it and stored it at his place until I could muster the necessary funds to get it shipped over.

The tractor came with a front plough and a mower deck. I am really chuffed with it as the patina is so darn cool on it. I gave it a full service draining the oil and transmission oil and replaced the fuel sediment bowl, both set of belts and the clutch spring. I greased everything up and every thing worked well on it.I took it out to Rural Past Times Show in Sussex and Tractor Fest in Kent back in August 2017 and really enjoyed driving her around the show ground. I need to replace the exhaust as that has blown and the head gasket. I have been driving it around my yard and been really impressed with it solidity and ease of driving over fairly rough terrain.

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1776.JPG
  • IMG_1790.JPG
  • IMG_1844.JPG
  • IMG_1792.JPG
  • IMG_0451.JPG
  • IMG_0458.JPG
  • 20170813_161148.jpg
  • 20170812_160737.jpg
  • 20170715_114459.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by Bolens800uk, January 10, 2018 - 02:59 PM.

• olcowhand, DH1, fonz3482 and 14 others have said thanks

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 8,974 Thanks
  • 4,223 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 02:37 PM

Ok, I’ll enter my 1976 MF 12. Most of you have seen this tractor before. It came with, 42” mowing deck, 36” tiller, 36” snow thrower and wheel weigths. I built the loader for it. The loader is operated by a winch for up and down and the bucket it a trip style. I paid 700 dollars for the tractor and attachments, not including the loader, a number of years ago.

As far as I know all the paint is original on the tractor and attachments. The engine is a HH 120 Tecumseh. The loader has been on the tractor for a few years now, and normally never comes off. I did take the original front mounted snow thrower and mounted it on the rear of the tractor with its own engine to operate the thrower. I also added two extra paddles on the thrower, to help performance. I never cut grass with it any more. I will put the tiller on in this spring, for the gardens. I also have a snow plow I can mount on the loader, when the bucket is removed.

Thanks for readin and lookin,

Attached Thumbnails

• 30D4A5C2-032F-4A99-A75B-1B7DA0560E0B.png
  • CCAB66E7-B1AD-4C97-99AB-8E8E34695C5D.png
  • F3359C45-B514-43E9-83D4-0F7AC28EE039.png
  • 69C49E84-A068-46C4-ACF7-C8453E0B0FC2.png
  • 6D364F8F-0272-4491-8A22-990A17FBC61D.png
  • 49292F4F-3EA0-41B0-82E6-B1409F4B382F.png
  • 25AFDBBE-BD86-46D3-818F-91ABCC609D4F.png
  • C3956FA3-8C07-4C76-94AD-404C84099474.png
  • 2DC636D1-A14A-4C40-8F37-55F1B97EC19C.png
  • 4396DF50-9F1A-40C2-BF88-1820312BE548.png

• DH1, DougT, jimbobbillyray and 7 others have said thanks

#10 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61298
  • 576 Thanks
  • 453 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 03:03 AM

I would like to nominate my Powr Pup

This is a home made tractor built from a 1960's magazine article,using old car/truck parts.

The only other history I have is it was built by the father in law of the party I purchased from.

The only deviation I see from the original plans are a 1950's ford rear was used.

and a little different styling of the hood and grille.All the mechanicals match the original plans.

This was also designed to use Sears attachments which should have been readily available

at the time.I can't put an exact date but going by the engine date.I would estimate 1966-1970.

When I got it home made all the basic checks.Oil,Spark,Gas Tank condition,

checked carb,all good

pulled the engine shroud check for mouse nest. grass debri,looked like new.

Ok ad a battery-Spark that's a good sign,ad fuel hey it popped.

ad new fuel line and filter woohoo she runs.

Took it for a drive around the yard and all worked as it should.

with the exception of the brakes,they are hydraulic and the master is seized up.

On a side note this one may get a good going over in the future.

cleaning,(although its rather clean)paint,and possibly my own personal touches.

like fenders and foot boards,and see if I can incorporate a sears 3 point

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0574.JPG
  • DSCF0573.JPG
  • DSCF0580.JPG
  • DSCF0572.JPG

• DougT, twowheeler63, jimbobbillyray and 7 others have said thanks

#11 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 367 Thanks
  • 502 posts

Posted January 17, 2018 - 01:49 PM

I guess I will try again with the old ford

1969 Ford LGT 120 that’s what the catalog say at lest but I got the old gril form my great gardfathers house back in 14 befor it could be taken to are local sale barn here in Wray but when I got the tractor it need a new throttle cable but it came with a snow blower on it and I mounted a home made tractor cab on it and It toke me a few years but I found a mower deck for it last year I’ve taken the tractor to one parade

Sorry no snow

Attached Thumbnails

• 854F8184-EFF2-4105-8600-23040A8B71AE.jpeg
  • BE717A27-4915-4EAD-AD2A-97726DA9B6FB.jpeg
  • D1D5052E-638C-40E4-8523-44B8583742E8.jpeg
  • 6089A382-101C-4756-9201-D7BE4F41AD8C.jpeg

Edited by pick-to-stone, January 17, 2018 - 04:17 PM.

• DH1, jimbobbillyray, dropped82 and 7 others have said thanks

#12 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,993 Thanks
  • 5,020 posts

Posted January 22, 2018 - 10:33 AM

Voting is now open for February's feature tractor. Good Luck to all contestants.

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#13 propane1 ONLINE  

• 8,974 Thanks
  • 4,223 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 03:41 PM

Nice close race.

#14 propane1 ONLINE  

• 8,974 Thanks
  • 4,223 posts

Posted January 29, 2018 - 05:54 PM

Well, not so close any more. Go, Bolens800uk.

#15 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,993 Thanks
  • 5,020 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 11:15 AM

Congrats to Bolens800UK on the win. Thanks to all the other contestants for participating.

• dropped82, propane1 and pick-to-stone have said thanks