• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 bazil.w.duke OFFLINE  

bazil.w.duke
  • Member No: 89086
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 12:32 PM

I completely went through them engine as far as checking timing testing coil testing condenser and setting points checking valve lash clean the carburetor rebuild the carburetor and it runs a lot better. The problem is it still Lopes on high RPM and it just won't idle like a Wisconsin engine. Is that just the nature of that engine or would a new carburetor help. I've read and heard about the bushing that can be put in the throttle body but I'm just wondering if if a new carburetor would make the thing run that much better

#2 bazil.w.duke OFFLINE  

bazil.w.duke
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 12:33 PM

And the inside of the float Bowl had so much dirt and filth you could have planted corn

#3 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,902 Thanks
  • 1,387 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 12:49 PM

If you mean by loping that the governor is causing the engine to speed up and then slow back down when it is trying to idle it would sudgust to me that the idle circuit in the carburetor is still plugged up. More cleaning might solve it. Carburetors can be very stuborne.  Don

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 bazil.w.duke OFFLINE  

bazil.w.duke
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 01:21 PM

It Lopes on high RPM it still idles a little rough but it Lopes up and down when you're high RPM

#5 bazil.w.duke OFFLINE  

bazil.w.duke
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 01:22 PM

It appears that the governor arm is the one that's causing it to go up and down so I wonder if maybe the governor gear is bad I checked the governor gear for adjustment by looking at the carburetor throttle plate and everything seems to be good

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,987 Thanks
  • 18,140 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 03:29 PM

It sounds to me the issue still lies in your carburetor

• secondtry said thank you

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,209 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 03:30 PM

The governor reacts to how fast the crankshaft is turning, so if your carburetor isn't functioning as it should and the engine is surging due to incosistant fuel flow, your governor arm will move constantly. Have you adjusted the governor am at all? This is the first thing that you should do then clean that carburetor again. If there is excessive play in the throttle shaft, you'll never get the engine to run right. Your engine should run smooth, without idling or surging problems. Carburetors need to be absolutely spotless inside to function properly throughout the rpm range, from idle to full throttle. I recently had problems adjusting a Stromberg carburetor that I just cleaned. It surged and wouldn't idle smoothly. I put an NOS carburetor on the engine and it ran perfectly. I took the old carburetor back apart and found that the idle circuit was plugged. I cleared the idle circuit, put the carburetor back on, and it functioned just like the NOS carburetor. I've been using the tractor with the original carburetor ever since, and it still runs great.

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,135 Thanks
  • 1,414 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 04:30 PM

Hi loping at hi RPM indicates a lean mixture this is a carb problem not a governor problem, check the throttle shaft for side to side movement if it moves that means a worn throttle shaft and a new bushing will most likely take care of the loping it could also just be out of adjustment to enrich the high rpm mixture screw the main jet out (its the vertical screw) near the throttle shaft turn it out (CCW) 1/4 turn with the engine running the engine will smooth out if you go to much it will slow down run rough may even smoke black. The K361 run very very smooth at both idle and high R's. Finding a new carb for a K361 is very hard and they are expensive and a carb from a K321 / K341 will bolt on but the engine will not run right at max throttle settings the venturi is slightly larger on the K361.

• secondtry said thank you

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,319 Thanks
  • 9,788 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 06:46 PM

Is there a different number in the throat? Such as 32?

If you know what that venturi size is, there is at least one place that can be made. GT Pullers are in the habit of boring out their carbs for more power.

Edited by LilysDad, January 21, 2018 - 06:49 PM.

#10 bazil.w.duke OFFLINE  

bazil.w.duke
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 07:43 PM

welll....i switched out carbs with the engine we were building and it runs a lot better except that the gov seems not to work because it seems to rev real high. and the strange  thing is that 1 click of my throttle and it is extremely high rpm....cant seem to find that in power king manual

#11 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,331 Thanks
  • 656 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 07:53 PM

Information for setting the carb and to adjust the governor you should use the proper Kohler manual for your K361

The info in the Kohler manual should supersede the info in the Power King manual

They can be picky to adjust but once you get adjusted properly everything should work fine

Definitely a carb issue, some people have good luck with the 20 dollar repo carbs on Ebay

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 13,319 Thanks
  • 9,788 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 07:59 PM

welll....i switched out carbs with the engine we were building and it runs a lot better except that the gov seems not to work because it seems to rev real high. and the strange  thing is that 1 click of my throttle and it is extremely high rpm....cant seem to find that in power king manual

After rebuilding your engine did you follow the book instructions to reset your governor? There is a correct way to adjust your carb linkage.

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,135 Thanks
  • 1,414 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 08:12 PM

Is there a different number in the throat? Such as 32?

If you know what that venturi size is, there is at least one place that can be made. GT Pullers are in the habit of boring out their carbs for more power.

Hi Lily, yes it could be bored out from Brian Millers site  is the the K321/341 venturi bore is one inch and the K361 is 1.250" he says the K361 will not run at full throttle with the 1" venturi I can not find it back right now and his site has so much information it takes a while to read and digest.

http://gardentractor...htm#carburetors

Edited by MNGB, January 21, 2018 - 08:29 PM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 13,319 Thanks
  • 9,788 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 08:31 PM

Yes, thanks. But how does a person identify a real k361 carb other than measuring?

Basil, is there a number cast into the upper inside wall of the carb behind the choke plate? For example; a K241-301 has a 26 or 28. A K321-341 has a 30.

Edited by LilysDad, January 21, 2018 - 08:36 PM.

#15 bazil.w.duke OFFLINE  

bazil.w.duke
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 08:38 PM

This engine is never been rebuilt other than I redid the head and valves