• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • Member No: 80101
  • 36 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted January 19, 2018 - 10:57 AM

Iv been looking around trying to find a seeder. I was set on a planet jr but I hurd they don't plant corn and larger seed very well. Sence that and sunflowers are two things I was wanting one for that wouldn't work out very well. Iv also been looking at the hoss tool planter attachment for the wheel hoe, and the Earthway seeder. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these and what your thoughts are. I really like the hoss tool seeder if I'm not getting the planet jr but, with the Earthway about half the price I was just wondering if there that much better?
Thanks, Wil

Edited by KY hillbilly, January 19, 2018 - 10:57 AM.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,179 Thanks
  • 6,651 posts

Posted January 19, 2018 - 11:23 AM

Had a Earthway and only used it part of one season.  Biggest problem is it left a ton of the small seeds in the hopper after it quit planting.  If you want radish, buy 4 or 5 bags and you will get one planted, maybe.  I found a planter at an auction I got for $1.  Can't recall the name right off but have not located another one for a back up.  Has a thin wheel, about 6" diameter, with the outside edge about 1/4" wider to open up the row a little.  Has a center cover or cup like that is spring loaded to hold it in position.  Has different sized openings around the outer edge.  Letter with all the different seed listed on the cover.  Will empty completely, is infinitely adjustable to space the seeds the way you want.  One hand operation.  Plants large seeds down to lettuce seeds.  If I remember will get the name when I am down that way later today.

• Alc, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,132 posts

Posted January 19, 2018 - 11:23 AM

The Earthway we use as been doing a good job for many years. Just use it to plant corn so I can't comment on other seeds. Seems to function the best with the hopper not filled more than half full. It is mostly made out of plastic so if your going to use it in rough or rocky soil this might not be the answer for you. 

• boyscout862, Reed Breneman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#4 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • 36 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 12:08 AM

From what iv read about the Earthway they are pretty finicky about working. Iv also read that you have to lean them to make they pick up seed right. Has anyone had any experience with the hoss or planet jr?

#5 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 629 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 02:46 PM

I did a bit of research into this a year or so ago for a friend with a market garden.  We determined the Jang seeder was far the best available.  It is pricey, but you know what they say.

#6 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 2,070 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 08:01 PM

My fingures work real well for me although I do have to admit standing on my head is getting hard to do!

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#7 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • 36 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 12:58 AM

Lol that what I been doing too but, I do dirt work for a living and help dad farm so I'm looking to speed up the process some. Every thing seams to need to be done at the same time lol
  • Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 654 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 11:26 AM

What I made to seed, I think I saw on here sometime back.  I attached a 3ft PVC pipe to a funnel.  I just drag the funnel-planter along and drop a seed into the ground every couple inches, depending on what I'm planting.  No more bending over/using fingers to plant.  Works great as I have a  pretty bad back.

• Alc said thank you

#9 Deerefarmer41 OFFLINE  

Deerefarmer41
  • Member No: 10761
  • 86 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted January 30, 2018 - 04:48 PM

Have an Earthway set up to use on the sleeve hitch. Works well for larger seeds, but plants too many on smaller ones. Probably takes a couple of minutes to plant a 100 ft row of corn, peas or beans. Am going to a Hoss seeder for small seeds. Will have to go to the one that is a permanent part of the machine. Manufacture says with the type of soil I have this is the one that works best. Tired of planting a couple 100 ft of double row beets and carrots by hand.
  • Alc said thank you

#10 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • 36 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 11:42 PM

I found a Earthway cheap so im going to try it. Iv kinda thinking im going to wish id went ahead and spend the money on a hoss, but im cheapskate lol.
  • Cvans said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,887 Thanks
  • 7,461 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 05:37 AM

I have the Earthway seeder and I think it will do a good job for you but you might want to do a few things that I learned from the members here and I'll try to remember some :  Try you seeds /plate combo first by running across  sheet to see how well it picked the seeds and dropped them .The beds have to be pretty clean and dirt just right or as I have done use my wheel hoe to make a furrow with the push plow then keep the opener & drag chain up away from the dirt , you'll have to go back over to cover the seeds but then you can also see ( on large seeds anyway ) how well it planted . I've never had all that good of results when using small seeds I think the hopper should have a way to add a divider also that might help if you only bought a small amount of large seeds , but it looks like thats not why your getting it . Maybe some members will chime in with more tips that I can't think of just now 

• Cvans said thank you

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,132 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 11:35 AM

If I remember correctly on ours I had replaced the closer chain with a heavier one and that seems to work better. I'll have to take a look.

#13 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • 36 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 05, 2018 - 10:29 PM

Well looks like im getting the hoss seeder. Idk what happend i bought the seeder off ebay and it been nearly 2 weeks and no seeder, and idk if how many of you are familiar with ebay but its not marked sent either. So im in the process of trying to get my money back. Idk the seller saying it his frist time selling and he made a mistake i dont know what the mistake was but anyway that what happing so far. The quest for a seeder continues lol.
  • olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,132 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 01:29 AM

I normally don't by from newer sellers. Favorable feedback is a must. Hope you get your money or your planter.  :thumbs: